why do they park cars in narrow streets

opalred

Simple answer to the op question.

Thai's do not care about anyone but themselves just watch their driving.coffee1.gif

Okay, so explain this to me. Why oh why are the supposedly clever farangs parking in narrow sois too, going against traffic on a motorcycle without helmet, double parked and blocking traffic or just stopping in the middle of the road and flashing the hazard lights as he steps out to the atm machine or a quick purchase at the 7-11?

Lots of foreigners do the above inconsiderate acts in pattaya, despite knowing better.

The answer is: inconsiderate people ( thai or otherwise) take advantage of lax law enforcement. Thais have the added disadvantage of poor driver (and general) education. Westerners, whilst boasting superior education, excellent common sense and apparently more "civilised" end up behaving like barbarians once the rules that enforce considerate behaviour is absent. Go figure!

Your talking about Pattaya, most people know what the expats are like in Pattaya. If for some reason you dont, do a few searches on TV.

Aha, so not only Thais "care about anyone but themselves" because you have now also agreed that expats are capable of similar behaviour. Consequently, I am sure if you bothered to "do a few searches on tv" you will find that the selfish behaviour that we abhor will be present in most countries with lax law enforcement and poor education. Hardly a Thai thing, is it?

This ain't about Thai/non-Thai. My msz gets just as pist off with bad driving/parking as I do.

Of course you are right... but don't let the moaners from Thaivisa think otherwise. Plenty of Thais who hate it how the idiots do what they do. But its far easier to act like its a Thai thing, so they can feel good with themselves as otherwise they have not accomplished much in life besides getting a pension and growing old and retiring here.

Rob, I appreciate it's Monday morning but that's a bit rough.

As for the other poster extolling the virtues of the tolerance levels of the locals, it does beg the question. ..tolerant of what? Rhetorical question....

It might be rough but to say that blocking streets is a Thai thing is rough too James. Sure there are Thais doing this but I hear from quite a few Thais that they hate the people who do it. If they did not cover all Thais in their comment id be more understanding. But by covering all Thais they do this to feel better themselves, i see this so often in posts it gets too me.

There are plenty of idiots back where I am from and I would not dream saying all Dutch are idiots, id take it out on those who do instead of a complete country. Its like saying why do all Dutch smoke weed. Just get tired of all the generalizations.

Though you caught me in one too, i made the generalization that all Thaivisa moaners are OAP's and that is of course not true.

I certainly have done my share of moaning about Thailand but I try not to put a whole country down because of some idiots. (yes the idiot percentage is higher here). I often sit in the car with Thais commenting on Thai driving however they call them idiots.

I am feeling you Rob, I really am but when you talk of the Dutch and the silly things they do.......................... please try to look at it from a percentage point of view. I can only go by experience in the UK but when a car comes over the brow of a hill on the wrong side in the UK , I see it as very dangerous and not typical, hence my reaction. However, in Thailand, when I see the same occurring, I am totally expecting to see another soon after and I am never disappointed. Then another and another and another and................. I am sure you know how this goes.

To label all Thai's with the same brush IS unfair but then look at the number of times stupid and reckless things occur on the roads and I think you would agree that it is over 50 percent and so represents the majority. Is that a fair assessment or am I mistaken?

I am feeling you Rob, I really am but when you talk of the Dutch and the silly things they do.......................... please try to look at it from a percentage point of view. I can only go by experience in the UK but when a car comes over the brow of a hill on the wrong side in the UK , I see it as very dangerous and not typical, hence my reaction. However, in Thailand, when I see the same occurring, I am totally expecting to see another soon after and I am never disappointed. Then another and another and another and................. I am sure you know how this goes.

To label all Thai's with the same brush IS unfair but then look at the number of times stupid and reckless things occur on the roads and I think you would agree that it is over 50 percent and so represents the majority. Is that a fair assessment or am I mistaken?

Lets put it this way I just did a trip to the south by car and we encountered the thing you describe. However from the 100's of cars that had to pass only a few did that dangerous thing. So yes its a larger percentage as back home and its total insanity (had my mom and dad in the car and gf too she drove most of the way).

She and other Thais hate the practice and feel its totally dangerous. My point is that there are enough Thais that hate those idiots that do stupid things. When im on the road with my bike i see that most cars drive normal but sure there are always those that act like fools (more so as back home) But the majority does not do crazy things.

But I admit, I don't ride my bike (650cc) much outside of Bangkok because one of my fear is those cars pushing me in the ditch. With a car its less of an occurrence but I worry that on a bike they will do it more.

So I agree that there are lots of idiot drivers and people who park stupid and far more percentage wise but they are outnumbered by those who drive normal. Also many Thais with whom i speak about this they hate it too. So its not all Thais.. just a larger group of idiots.

I am talking about the moaning AOP's usually people who moan a lot are not happy with themselves. This goes for young guys too actually. However if you look at the demographics here its in favor of old guys.

But you are right i generalized and should not have done that just like those people generalizing about Thais.

I just get tired of the Thais this Thais that while its a small subgroup of Thais who do this. If I see an Australian doing something crazy. I don't call all Australians crazy. Some people say that Germans are all good planners for a fact i know a few that are quite the opposite.

Why is it we can lump all Thais together while we don't do that in general with other nationalities or even our own.

I know that not all Dutch like cheese, or smoke joints. Get my point sorry for the OAP remark but fact remains most people posting here are not spring chickens.

I'm not sure it is a sub group as you put it, that behave like this. I've found in nearly 6 years of living here that the majority of Thai motorists, both car and motorcycle are the most inconsiderate and selfish I have ever come across. They will deliberately close gaps to prevent you entering or crossing traffic, they will speed up when you want to change lanes, they will make 4 or 5 right turn lanes at an intersection when there are supposed to be two, because they are too impatient to get in a queue etc, etc. This is not a case of enforcing road rules, this is just pure selfishness and bloodymindedness.

In my 8 years here on the road I have come over many dangerous things and many idiots just like you. I just feel they are not a majority but there are lots of them. However I have also often driven with normal Thai drivers and discussed the idiots. These Thais are appalled by this too.

But yes I agree large portion of dangerous selfish people.. but not ALL Thais (sorry for not agreeing there).

I drive motorbikes and my car here and it really pays of to look at traffic and like you (I have read) i got a dash cam. Why because I agree there are a lot of dangerous idiots on the road. Just not all of them and plenty of drivers that let me go in front of them even move away for my bike if i get stuck behind them (when splicing lanes towards traffic lights on the bike). I find that real nice of them and not selfish at all. Then again I have been cut off quite a number of times too.

Just get tired at times about the Thais thing but I moan a lot about traffic here too and agree that its often dangerous and larger portion of idiots here as in our home country.

I am talking about the moaning AOP's usually people who moan a lot are not happy with themselves. This goes for young guys too actually. However if you look at the demographics here its in favor of old guys.

But you are right i generalized and should not have done that just like those people generalizing about Thais.

I just get tired of the Thais this Thais that while its a small subgroup of Thais who do this. If I see an Australian doing something crazy. I don't call all Australians crazy. Some people say that Germans are all good planners for a fact i know a few that are quite the opposite.

Why is it we can lump all Thais together while we don't do that in general with other nationalities or even our own.

I know that not all Dutch like cheese, or smoke joints. Get my point sorry for the OAP remark but fact remains most people posting here are not spring chickens.

I'm not sure it is a sub group as you put it, that behave like this. I've found in nearly 6 years of living here that the majority of Thai motorists, both car and motorcycle are the most inconsiderate and selfish I have ever come across. They will deliberately close gaps to prevent you entering or crossing traffic, they will speed up when you want to change lanes, they will make 4 or 5 right turn lanes at an intersection when there are supposed to be two, because they are too impatient to get in a queue etc, etc. This is not a case of enforcing road rules, this is just pure selfishness and bloodymindedness.

In my 8 years here on the road I have come over many dangerous things and many idiots just like you. I just feel they are not a majority but there are lots of them. However I have also often driven with normal Thai drivers and discussed the idiots. These Thais are appalled by this too.

But yes I agree large portion of dangerous selfish people.. but not ALL Thais (sorry for not agreeing there).

I drive motorbikes and my car here and it really pays of to look at traffic and like you (I have read) i got a dash cam. Why because I agree there are a lot of dangerous idiots on the road. Just not all of them and plenty of drivers that let me go in front of them even move away for my bike if i get stuck behind them (when splicing lanes towards traffic lights on the bike). I find that real nice of them and not selfish at all. Then again I have been cut off quite a number of times too.

Just get tired at times about the Thais thing but I moan a lot about traffic here too and agree that its often dangerous and larger portion of idiots here as in our home country.

I think it may depend on where you live as well. I have found there to be better and more considerate drivers in other provinces than the Pattaya area.

I think it may depend on where you live as well. I have found there to be better and more considerate drivers in other provinces than the Pattaya area.

I live a lil bit outside of BKK and its mainly one way traffic here so that is ok. As i posted a few times, I am a bit afraid to ride on my bike on dual carriage ways. When we went from Bangkok to Satun (past Krabbi) last week a few times it was a bit scary, but the majority of the time no problems.

I do think that if i had ridden the same road on my bike people would have come on my part of the road more often as bikes are low on the food chain even big ones. But one of these times I will try to ride there as it can be fun.

This is a serious problem in central Pattaya where the one-way nature of Second Road and Beach Road means that people will drive their monster trucks down the tightest of sois to get to one or the other - throw in the horde of motorcyclists and pedestrians trying to avoid walking in the gutters have Buckley's. I've seen a few near misses with belligerent drunks - its only a matter of time before one of them is cleaned up by an impatient moto-taxi rider. These streets just weren't designed for the volume of traffic that currently does laps from Central Festival to Walking St - having someone park a 3-tonne pickup in a soi designed for motorcycles and food vendor carts isnt helping.

Tourism may account for less than 10% of Thai GDP, but it's still an important source of income for people in this town - why make the tourist experience any more annoying than it has to be in a city suffering from a massive oversupply of people who think nothing of jabbing you in the ribs with the dodgy DVDs or whatever they're trying to flog ? These folk - particularly the dreaded rose sellers - seem increasingly desperate : I suspect that even new arrivals arent keen to part with a hundred baht for a flower. The party may very well be over for anyone who has been content to copy what they see others doing in the tourist areas - if it was me, I'd be selling sex toys but that's a whole other thread right there.

Rural Thais continue to flock to Pattaya in the mistaken belief that there will be enough goose to go around - I believe that many will find out the hard way that it's no longer the feeding frenzy it may once have been.

I suspect many of the those driving monster SUVs down narrow sois are farangs. I could never understand why someone would try to squeeze his monster truck down say soi 7 rather than drive 50 yards further to Pattaya Klang.

Do they hold doors open for people coming behind them? NO. Why would anyone expect them to behave any differently when it comes to driving / parking - illegally. Bashing is it? Perhaps, Factual? Yes.

It's not bashing as it is only your perception that says there is something 'wrong' with that behaviour.

65 million Thais don't even think about why someone doesn't open a door for them. Only farang make a big deal of stupid little etiquettes of their own upbringing and have the arrogance to say the whole world comply to their country's customs.

It's like a Thai in the UK saying something like "They blow their mucus into handkerchiefs and put them into their pockets. why would anyone expect them(Brits) to behave any differently

.when it comes to ............." Very ignorant of a plural society.

I don't consider manners, consideration and civilities to be "stupid little etiquette's". They're what separates us (humans) from the apes and gives society a sense of grace and civility.

Do they hold doors open for people coming behind them? NO. Why would anyone expect them to behave any differently when it comes to driving / parking - illegally. Bashing is it? Perhaps, Factual? Yes.

It's not bashing as it is only your perception that says there is something 'wrong' with that behaviour.

65 million Thais don't even think about why someone doesn't open a door for them. Only farang make a big deal of stupid little etiquettes of their own upbringing and have the arrogance to say the whole world comply to their country's customs.

It's like a Thai in the UK saying something like "They blow their mucus into handkerchiefs and put them into their pockets. why would anyone expect them(Brits) to behave any differently

.when it comes to ............." Very ignorant of a plural society.

I don't consider manners, consideration and civilities to be "stupid little etiquette's". They're what separates us (humans) from the apes and gives society a sense of grace and civility.

Just yesterday I had a Thai (that i did not know) hold a door open for my mom and dad. So it does happen for sure.

Simple answer to the op question.

Thai's do not care about anyone but themselves just watch their driving.coffee1.gif

Okay, so explain this to me. Why oh why are the supposedly clever farangs parking in narrow sois too, going against traffic on a motorcycle without helmet, double parked and blocking traffic or just stopping in the middle of the road and flashing the hazard lights as he steps out to the atm machine or a quick purchase at the 7-11?

Lots of foreigners do the above inconsiderate acts in pattaya, despite knowing better.

The answer is: inconsiderate people ( thai or otherwise) take advantage of lax law enforcement. Thais have the added disadvantage of poor driver (and general) education. Westerners, whilst boasting superior education, excellent common sense and apparently more "civilised" end up behaving like barbarians once the rules that enforce considerate behaviour is absent. Go figure!

Your talking about Pattaya, most people know what the expats are like in Pattaya. If for some reason you dont, do a few searches on TV.

.... and your comment is based on? How many expats in Pattaya do you personally know? You are making wild assumptions and tarring all with same brush. Are you aware there are a lot of female expats in Pattaya? I do not live in Pattaya, but I have spent some considerable time there in the past as I had a good friend, sadly no longer with us, who had a business there for 20 years.

Now, back on topic, you have to remember that there is very little in the way of driver education here. Show up, answer a few questions, pay for the right answers if you got too many wrong, manoeuvre a car around a private yard, get your licence and you're good to go. I would suggest that many have absolutely no idea that some of what we see as crazy/dangerous/annoying things they do are wrong. Simply, they've never had it explained to them.

(I was a UK DSA ADI [Government registered driving instructor] for 24 years and held a RoSPA Gold for 10).