Looking For A Job, Hospitality Secotor

Hi i will be going to thailand i about a week, and willing to stay for long time if i find a decent job there. i was born in thailand and moved to canada when was 8. i am now 21 and looking to go back and see what it is like to work and live in thailand compaire to vancouver, Cnd. i am able to communicate in thai.

i was wondering if anyone has any good pointers of where to start to look for job. I have had job offer teaching english, but i rather work in the hospitality industry.

i have a diploma in hotel and resturant, and looking to get a degree in business in the near future.

please point me into the right direction. thanks ;-)

You should not have much difficulty finding a job with a five start hotel here - with good language skills, you will be very attractive.

I assume you are a male, and that you have dual citizenship. Just be aware - it is easier for you to be employed as a Thai, but to do so as a Thai male, you must have documents indicating that you have fulfilled military conscription requirements.

If you are hired as a Canadian, in order to obtain a long-term entry permit based on employment, you will have to be paid a minimum salary of 60,000 baht per month (effective this coming July).

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam Group

Bnagkok

Hey there,

i have been focussing on the hospitality industry in BKK as well since it is very exciting as Thailand is a #1 tourist hotspot. The competition is quite fierce so there is a demand for people with a emphasis on Marketing to gain a competitive advantage. And a hotel background/diploma is certainly helpful.

Use the Internet and contact all the hotels by e-mail with a decent application letter.

You can start your search in canada as I did it here in Holland. I am not finished with my degree yet but I already got several job offers. So there is a demand for professionals in this industry.

They usually pay 30.000 p.m. for a management trainee. This is not up to the standard considering the 60.000 p.m minimum salary requirement. But they do offer free stay and food in the hotel and some other benefits so the whole package will exceed the 60.000 p.m.

That's my contribution to this thread :-)

Hey there,

i have been focussing on the hospitality industry in BKK as well since it is very exciting as Thailand is a #1 tourist hotspot. The competition is quite fierce so there is a demand for people with a emphasis on Marketing to gain a competitive advantage. And a hotel background/diploma is certainly helpful.

Use the Internet and contact all the hotels by e-mail with a decent application letter.

You can start your search in canada as I did it here in Holland. I am not finished with my degree yet but I already got several job offers. So there is a demand for professionals in this industry.

They usually pay 30.000 p.m. for a management trainee. This is not up to the standard considering the 60.000 p.m minimum salary requirement. But they do offer free stay and food in the hotel and some other benefits so the whole package will exceed the 60.000 p.m.

That's my contribution to this thread :-)

30,000 for a management traineee in a hotel in Bangkok??? I think someone is pulling your leg. I have hired experienced managers from 5* hotels that were earning 15,000 baht + benefits. Director level staff in sales just about all in package of 30,000 if they are lucky. The amount of staff that get accomodation is virtually zero these days. Exceptions to this of course, but very rare and then only for focalpoint positions such as head chefs,Resident Mgrs and GM's, as well as expat head of Sales(which are increasingly rare).

Having said that someone who is Thai nationality with fluent English will be better positioned however you might want to also consider the corporate travel agency side. Higher salaries and better working conditions with the big companies such as American Express.

Hope this helps

A friend of my that is Thai works for a 5star hotel and earns around 50k per month. He is in charge of HR and training.

What age are they and how much experience do they have - we are talking in the original thread of someone who is early 20's and no work experience. To get this level of salary the odds are he or she is working for a farang, otherwise this level of salary is almost unheard off for that kind of role as base pay.

A friend of my that is Thai works for a 5star hotel and earns around 50k per month. He is in charge of HR and training.

What age are they and how much experience do they have - we are talking in the original thread of someone who is early 20's and no work experience. To get this level of salary the odds are he or she is working for a farang, otherwise this level of salary is almost unheard off for that kind of role as base pay.

I agree with Digger :o

He doesn't even comes from the tourism industry but his English is perfect, he speaks fluent Thai, Mandarin, Cantonese etc. -

He's more a kid and his age is 27 years but he holds some good degrees from the Raffles College in Singapore and as well has a master degree in English from a Singapore university.

He isn't reporting to a farang but the farang before him had around 60,000 Baht (spoke French, German and English) a month so he went for 50k, plus speaks Thai, Mandarin, Cantonese and the farang got booted out.

The hotel is a 5star property and I agree with everyone that those kinds of deals are unheard of in Thailand. The reason why he got that deal is because of his English, Mandarin, Cantonese and of course he is fluent in Thai.

Well,30.000 baht sounds quite reasonable to me since it is a preparation for a management position.Communication with the employer were in a quite advanced phase and I don't believe a respected hotel chain such as Amari is pulling any legs.

But you are right that big multinational corporations are paying much more because a pharmaceutical company offered 50-60.000 which is (or almost is) the double. I can only advice based on my personal experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not finished with my degree yet but I already got several job offers.

Dear MarioZwepink,

Please advise me on how do you actually find these job offers? I am a foreigner and have a diploma in computer studies from Informatics, University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate and NCC UK and am in the process of studying for a Masters degree. I have 7 years of work experiences, of which one of them was as an IT support personnel in a hotel.I am humble, willing to learn, willing to work hard in any job and would be fully dedicated to the company. I do not mind a low remuneration and would be even willing to pay for the work permit application myself. All I ask in return is for a job that is stable, that will see me through at least until I get permanent residency in Thailand, or better still for a life time. I have emailed so many companies, so many people, but I have never even got a single response. Thanks a lot for any advises.

Bkklover

Thanks everyone for your input.

i arrived here in BKK about 2 weeks ago, been partying and now its time to get it togetther. i went and apply today at couple of hotels, seems to went fine. hope i can get into any of the 5 star hotel.

i dont' even mind if i was working front line, non-management position. just want to put my foot in the door. i can speak thai okay now, so i hope i can get into the hotel that i want.

if anyone has any another advice feel free to add.

Thanks everyone for your input.

i arrived here in BKK about 2 weeks ago, been partying and now its time to get it togetther. i went and apply today at couple of hotels, seems to went fine. hope i can get into any of the 5 star hotel.

i dont' even mind if i was working front line, non-management position. just want to put my foot in the door. i can speak thai okay now, so i hope i can get into the hotel that i want.

if anyone has any another advice feel free to add.

You learnt passable Thai in only 2 weeks Santastic ? :o

well, i am thai after all, i came back here for the conscription, and i speak thai at home in Canada. so... i don't see why 2 weeks of staying in the country to build up more vocab is too hard to believe. :o

###### songkran, oh well i guess one more week of partying :D

well, i am thai after all, i came back here for the conscription, and i speak thai at home in Canada. so... i don't see why 2 weeks of staying in the country to build up more vocab is too hard to believe. :D

###### songkran, oh well i guess one more week of partying :D

I didn't realize that you were Thai :o Party on :D

• 1 month later...

Man, it is soo hard to get a job in this country :D . its been a month now, and i don't even have a called back for an interview. i've went and apply at almost all the 5 star hotels and some 4 star hotels all over town. can anyone give me some advice of what i should do or where i should go.

anything would help thanks! :o

I would recommend to check out the ad section in both the Bangkok post and the nation. There are often hotel vacancies there. Otherwise if you are not bound to BKK, check out the Phuketgazette at www.phuketgazette.com. There are often hotel vacancies on there.

Instead of going to each individual hotels, try to contact the HR person at corporate HQ of companies like Central, Dusit and Amari. One email address you may try is [email protected] ( He is the Executive Vice President). You can also try some management companies like CB richard Ellis who manage both hotels and serviced apartments and are always on the look for multi lingual people.

( He is the Executive Vice President )

Rutger is now the Executive VP of Dusit? Since when ?

As far as I know he is the Corporate Director of Operations but not the Executive Vice President. At Dusit you can't become an EVP if you only have experience as a GM in a hotel in Manila or Bali.

My advise to Santastic : Bypass the farangs and contact the top management directly at Dusit or contact the Dusit College if they know of any position openings.