A Question From The Village Klown

kayo

Hi guys,

Being the village klown, I don´t post on serious topics much, but here´s my prob.

I run Win 2000 professional on NT platform.

Not so long ago I, in a drunken, klownish mood, changed my windows username and password.

Nothing fancy. Just the standard login screen for windows.

Now, since that drunken night, a month and a half ago, I´ve not been able to get into my computer.

There are no guest accounts, nor admin accounts, and I´m wondering how to by pass this.

Hi.. tried accessing through safe mode, but it still asks for my windows password. And ther is no admin password set up on it.

Is there anyway to bypass the windows password completely, or else change it through BIOS.

So you changed your login name and password? Ummmm.... ok, a few suggestions for you.

Try logging in as Administrator and leave the password blank. Also try that for the new login name you entered.

OK, so that didn't work huh? If you have a floppy drive on your laptop then you can use a boot disk which can reveal the password for you. There are various methods for doing this but the one i've used with success can be found at www.loginrecovery.com

Just download the file and create a bootdisk on another machine. Put the disk in your laptop and reboot. Wait... it will tell you when it's done

You then need to go back to another computer and return to www.loginrecovery.com and upload the file from your bootdisk. Pay 10$ and you'll get the password, or if you don't want to pay they'll give you one letter of the password which you might be able to guess it from. Wait a week or so and the whole password will be revealed for free.

Ultimate Boot Cd 4 Win, the swiss knife of the Windows troubleshooter, has a password reset utility.

See http://www.ubcd4win.com/

It's basically Windows booting off CD (complete boot with GUI, not just install menus) with a truckload of utilities, diagnostics, virus and spyware scanners etc. aboard.

It's great. It's an evolution of PEBuilder, which has saved my ass countless times. And it's free.

It's not download and play, because the boot CD includes a stripped-down version of XP it can't be put available for download for licensing reasons. So you have to build your own ISO image using your Windows XP CD and an easy to use program.

If that beats you, PM me, I will point you to a ready-made ISO image that I'll make available for as long as you need to download it (it'll be 500+ megs big though - beware).

For details on how to reset passwords on the target HD, see here

--Lannig

• 1 month later...

So I printed out this threaad and I went to my techie guy here in town. He`s a dutch stoner and I figured he could help.

I`ve been round a few times, and I took think he`s done much on it.

A few times I hung around long enough and we made soem efforts.

Managed to retrieve all my files my setting up the hard drives as slaves on another machine and then popping them onto my external 120Gb.

Couldn`t get anything booted on it, though, after re inserting it into the laptop.

Tried using my external disc drive, and my ext floppy, but it won`t even read them uuntil the system is booted.

Having said all that, Marco thinks he will have a brand new XP OS on it by tomorrow.

I`ve told him I`m travelling soon, and that i`ll need it.

I`ll let you know by this time tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Get drunk and you will remember. From http://www.memorylossonline.com/glossary/s...dentmemory.html

Subjects who learn new information while under the influence of a drug, such as caffeine or nicotine, will perform better if tested under the influence of the same drug.

:D

Nicotine? Yep!

Caffeine? Yep!

Any others I need? :o:D:D

Get drunk and you will remember. From http://www.memorylossonline.com/glossary/s...dentmemory.html

Subjects who learn new information while under the influence of a drug, such as caffeine or nicotine, will perform better if tested under the influence of the same drug.

Nicotine? Yep!

Caffeine? Yep!

You said your friend was a stoner ... oh wait, that makes you forget if I remember correctly. :D

Nicotine? Yep!

Caffeine? Yep!

You said your friend was a stoner ... oh wait, that makes you forget if I remember correctly. :D

"In studies with human subjects, alcohol (Lowe 1981), mar!juana (Darley et al. 1974), barb!turate and amphetam!ne (Bustamente et al. 1970), methylphen!date (Swanson and Kinsbourne 1976) and nicot!ne (Peters and McGee 1982) have all been shown to produce [state-dependent learning] effects."

Source: "State-dependent learning effects with a combination of alcohol and nicotine", G. Lowe, Department of Psychology, University of Hull, 1986

• 2 months later...

I must have left my manners in Lost Luggage when i came back from Guatemala, for when i awoke this morning, I was strangely enough thinking about this thread.

So, Thanks guys & girls, for your help.

here's how it was ultimately resolved/situation altered:

I removed the partitioned hard drive of that laptop and, using a friends computer, copied all the personal documents etc, then transferring them to my external hard drive, so as to keep my data.

I swapped the non accessible, but still functionable laptop with 6G storage and a pentium 2, for a bar bill I couldn't afford.

I dumped my relationship with Guatemala, and stopped off here, France at my folks house.

My dad still works, and due to his seniority can get away with some things.

IE: I now have a professionally formatted fresh second hand Compaq EVo N600c running XP2002

Pentium 3

256 RAM

and 50G in a partitioned hard drive (20G & 30G)

all free

It's additionaly been set up with wifi detector/receptor

and of course, my external hard drive....

I feel like a new man.

Edited by kayo