How is life in Ubon?

sunoco27

I have lived in Chiang Mai 7 years now but may have to move to Ubon to be near my wifes family, they live in Mukdahan. Do you find life good there in Ubon? Are their farang sized houses to rent in quiet areas in or just outside Ubon for 10,000 baht or less?

Are the markets good there? I do not care about bars, night life or farang food.

Do they have fitness there?

Anything else you can add I will appreciate.

Thank You

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font
  • Like 1

I live in CM all the time and decided to pop up to Udon for a look

Quiet areas and very nice locals ...one central mall only :) thank goodness and most movies in Thai with no English subtitles

Hope u speak fluent thai as the locals here are shy & friendly and short of those working in the malls seem to speak little English

My Thai wife also from Ubon, (Gateway To Nowhere !) Good you don't like anything Western as there isn't any Western there. Lots of 5AM crowing roosters who wake the barking dogs & screeching monkeys -- like zoos ? then you got it ! I send my wife home from Pattaya, every 6 weeks and then, on her return from HELL, realizing what she has back here in semi civilized Pattaya, treats me like a king

• Like 1

A number of off topic posts have been removed.

Please stay on topic :)

I don't know why some posters continue to promote a particular restaurant franchise, but if you'd like to advertise for that restaurant/franchise, then you need to become a sponsor. Otherwise, you're just spamming, a general recommendation is fine (So long as it's on topic), but going into detail about the menu isn't really necessary.

No - Central is quiet as a doormouse on weekdays. Busy at weekends but horrendous on holiday weekends as, I suspect, you found out (ever been to your local Tesco on a holiday weekend - same.same - the gawpers emerge from the undergrowth in pick-up (over)loadstongue.png .

Locals know how to avoid the relevant clogged streets at weekends (I assume - I certainly do know how on visits and I live 85km away!)

[Nobody spends any serious dobs of money there even at weekends, except in restaurants, beauty/cosmetic clinics, the cinema and Robinson]

Edited by SantiSuk

No - Central is quiet as a doormouse on weekdays. Busy at weekends but horrendous on holiday weekends as, I suspect, you found out (ever been to your local Tesco on a holiday weekend - same.same - the gawpers emerge from the undergrowth in pick-up (over)loadstongue.png .

Locals know how to avoid the relevant clogged streets at weekends (I assume - I certainly do know how on visits and I live 85km away!)

[Nobody spends any serious dobs of money there even at weekends, except in restaurants, beauty/cosmetic clinics, the cinema and Robinson]

On the weekends/hholidays you get people coming in from all of Ubon and surrounding provinces as well as those from the city. You might even find a few people from Laos or Cambodia there.

Tesco here is not so bad on weekends and holidays but Big C is a zoo because of the weekend market nearby.

I like it here in Ubon. It's quiet that's why I like it. Also, the people are friendly and try to be helpful, but you won't find too much English, but some folks try.

I am reminded how friendly the folks are here because I used to live in Jomtien. Everytime I go back there for a visit I am always surprised how surly and rude most of the service is there. I don't remember if it was that bad when I left there. Maybe it's everybodies favorite scapegoat- the da*n Russians! Or maybe I was just used to the rudeness and didn't realize it...or maybe both.

The rent can be very cheap compared to Pattay/Jomtien. (I don't know the rent situation in KK). If your wife's family knows someone, you might be able to get a decent place for cheap. For example, I am renting a 3 bedroom/2 bath home that was never lived in that's about 6 km outside of downtown for 3500bht/month. Landlords a nice guy and very easy to deal with.

Good luck,

Doug

• Like 1

I enjoy it in the city though plan to move back to Chiang Mai in distant future.

This is a good source for housing in Ubon. Might be tough to find a big house for 10k. Depends on your definition of a "farang" sized house.

Ubon has at least 4 walking street markets now and several fresh food markets like any other city. Nothing like the Night Bazaar or Sunday night market in CM though.

What kind of fitness? Thung Sri Muang Park downtown was mentioned. That's the main place people go to for outdoor fitness. They have weights, aerobics, takraw, running track, exercise machines, basketball, futsal and badminton nets. There's another park called Nong Bua with similar activities going on. There are plenty of pools around for laps.

PM me if you have any specific questions.