Multiple entry tourist visa or ED visa

I'm currently in Thailand with a tourist visa, would like to stay longer... as in more than just a few months. I have funds and will not have to work here.

To me it seems like a multiple entry tourist visa or ED visa are the best options. I wouldn’t mind to learn some Thai, but the requirements seem to be pretty strict. 8 hours per week instead of 4 hours. Also having to apply for a re-entry permit if I wanna leave Thailand. I would also like to travel every now and then, so leaving Thailand every 3 months is not an issue.

My history looks like this:

- December 2013 - 3 Weeks with Visa Exempt

- Late August 2014 - 10 days with Visa Exempt

- Outside of Thailand for 3 weeks

- Mid September 2014 to Early November 2014 - 56 days with Visa Exempt and extension

- Outside of Thailand for 5 days

- Mid November 2014 to Mid February 2015 - Tourist visa with extension

I have a German passport. What would you recommend me to do? Preferably I would get a triple-entry tourist visa in Germany in late February 2015. Is it possible that I might not get it considering my history? Better to go with a ED visa?

Thank you

To me it seems like a multiple entry tourist visa or ED visa are the best options. I wouldn’t mind to learn some Thai, but the requirements seem to be pretty strict. 8 hours per week instead of 4 hours. Also having to apply for a re-entry permit if I wanna leave Thailand. I would also like to travel every now and then, so leaving Thailand every 3 months is not an issue.

The ED visa is NOT an option for you since you're not willing to study the required hours for this visa. If you change your mind & it is, then the visa could be for you.

Edited by bbi1

The ED visa is NOT an option for you since you're not willing to study the required hours for this visa. If you change your mind & it is, then the visa could be for you.

I didn't write anywhere that I'm absolutely not willing to study the required 8 hours per week. I just wrote that the requirements are strict. Two different things :)

• Like 1

I didn't write anywhere that I'm absolutely not willing to study the required 8 hours per week. I just wrote that the requirements are strict. Two different things smile.png

OP don't worry about the above poster, some on here seem to think they work for Immigration and are so quick to judge other people they seem unable to read posts correctly.

The rules for ED Visas are indeed 8 hours study PW, if you go down this route then a Re entry Permit will only cost you 1900 Baht, not so much really however you may be questioned on your Thai skills upon re entry.

• Like 1

I didn't write anywhere that I'm absolutely not willing to study the required 8 hours per week. I just wrote that the requirements are strict. Two different things smile.png

Yea ignore that above comment, to many people think on here anyone looking at an ED visa is just another person looking to abuse the system.

But in regards your actual question, my back ground might help you out as I have been on a education visa for nearly 2 years. Im actually 90% certain that I'm going to come off the education and move to the tourist visa, instead of extending for my 3rd year.

As you already stated and been documented the hours have changed from 4 to 8 hours a week. That isn't a concern for me, but more concerns me and i think would concern you is that you could be tested for you thai spoken, written and reading ability when passing through immigration at any re-entry back into Thailand. There seem to be no uniform standard producer at airport immigration of how you will be tested. Its more how the immigration judges you level of thai on his own personal level

There is 1-2 cases on Thaivisa of people claiming they have been rejected entry back into Thailand and sent back to their country of origin because their level of thai wasn't at an acceptable level for the amount of time they had studied thai.

For me the extra hours you have to study, the cost of education visa compared to tourist visa is going to give little or no benefit. But also for extending a tourist visa, its a lot less hassle and a lot less paper work then the educational visa

Also lastly people have speculated that there might be language school that will be forced to close because of these changes in this transitional time. If you pay for you lessons and visa up front and the school goes bust. You run the risk of loosing your money and visa.

This is why its my plan to move to the tourist visa and continue my studies at 2-3 times a week as at the moment i dont have the faith in the educational visa. I hope this info helps you.

Edited by Markphuket
  • Like 2