Retiring In Chiang Mai

stevewhale

Hi folks

We will be coming to CM soon as our daughter will be giving birth to our first grandchild. Thank you all for the information on hospitals and doctors. She will be giving birth at RAM (1, I think) and her doctor will be Dr. Supriya. Does any one have any information concerning her? We have been assured that she is first class but any info would be more than welcome.

The other thing that is running around in my head is about the possibility of retirement in CM. We live now in Seattle and as is the case with lots of folks our retirement will be livable but if we could strech its value it would be great. The other motivating factor of course is that it looks like our daughter and husband (and baby) will be in Southeast Asia for quite awhile. CM is about two hours away from where they live and two hours and $300 sure looks better than 16 hours and $2,000+! Any pratical advice would be greatly appreciated. I am just beginning to look at the complexity of the Thai retirement visa, expat insurance, transportation, etc.

One thing some of my Thai friends here in Seattle have mentioned is that CM lies in a valley and that it might be more comfortable for people like us who have "Seatle webbed feet" and wear Pendelton shirts most of the year to be out of town up in the hills. Is this a good idea and are there places that are fairly near, fairly affordable (6 to 9000B, rent or own) and, what else should I ask???

Any help, advice or information would be most greatfully accepted.

Thanks again,

Steve

The areas that are cooler tend to be more remote so living there becomes a trade off between cooler weather and increased transportation hassles. Even in the coolest places you are likely to live at will be too warm for a Pendleton shirt in the daytime most of the year...but then you probaly know that already.....if you are addicted to Pendleton shirt climate then you will not be happy in Thailand.

The areas that are cooler tend to be more remote so living there becomes a trade off between cooler weather and increased transportation hassles. Even in the coolest places you are likely to live at will be too warm for a Pendleton shirt in the daytime most of the year...but then you probaly know that already.....if you are addicted to Pendleton shirt climate then you will not be happy in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply. What is your definition of remote? A half hour from central CM? an hour? or more? Dirt roads? gravel? some paved some not? all paved?

No worry on the Pendeltons, I grew up in Minnesota with 90 degrees/90% humidity - of course that was summer, winter was 20 below with a foot of snow. I know that while Seattle is famed for purpetual rain (not true BTW) but with my daughters description of the rainy season I am sure that I will soon develop "CM webbed toes".

Another quick question, my wife is Japanese and I understand that there is a fairly sizeable Japanese community in CM. Is this the case? From looking at some of the resturant themes on the forum it appears that there are some pretty good Japanese ones around. How about Japanese food shops and such?

Thanks again

Steve

Thanks for the reply. What is your definition of remote? A half hour from central CM? an hour? or more? Dirt roads? gravel? some paved some not? all paved?

No worry on the Pendeltons, I grew up in Minnesota with 90 degrees/90% humidity - of course that was summer, winter was 20 below with a foot of snow. I know that while Seattle is famed for purpetual rain (not true BTW) but with my daughters description of the rainy season I am sure that I will soon develop "CM webbed toes".

Another quick question, my wife is Japanese and I understand that there is a fairly sizeable Japanese community in CM. Is this the case? From looking at some of the resturant themes on the forum it appears that there are some pretty good Japanese ones around. How about Japanese food shops and such?

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve.

For noticablly cooler weather, one needs to live high in the mountains near Chiang Mai. It's about a 45-60 minute drive to get there. There would be a dearth of rental properties in that area, and what might be available would be 2-3 times the range of rets you've said you're looking for. Somewhat cooler weather, cleaner air, trees and streams , can be found in the foothills nearby and the longer drive time would be cut n half. The rent range you've indicated would be for fairly low end housing, but if you spend some time here and search diligently, you might find something near the upper end of your range. Be prepared to make your own improvements or upgrades, as landlords here tend to take a "handsoff " approach with regard to anything save for rent collection.

Land prices in and around Chiang Mai are not exactly cheap, but I would say it trades at a discount to many other areas in Thailand of large population.

The Japanese expat piopulation here is rather large, but I know very little about it. I'm sure your wife would find common interests with some of them. I suggest an extended vacation to the area for fact gatering purposes and putting things you read here and elsewhere into perspective.

Hi folks

.....One thing some of my Thai friends here in Seattle have mentioned is that CM lies in a valley and that it might be more comfortable for people like us who have "Seatle webbed feet" and wear Pendelton shirts most of the year to be out of town up in the hills. Is this a good idea and are there places that are fairly near, fairly affordable (6 to 9000B, rent or own) and, what else should I ask???

Any help, advice or information would be most greatfully accepted.

Thanks again,

Steve

It is cooler up in the hills but it is not easy to live in the rural areas unless you speak Thai and preferably have family in the villages. You will probably be much more comfortable in the city, despite the heat, and your body will acclimatize over time. The city is now a very modern town, large shopping malls & Costco style warehouse stores, high rise commodes everywhere, and you would not have to spend too much time outside an airconditioned environment.

By the way, I did't know anyone wore Pendleton brand shirts anymore. Magnolia?

Hi Steve

My wife and I moved to Thailan a year and a half ago and we had our first baby in Chiang Mai with Dr. Supriya. She's great and don't let it worry you. My wife had a complicated labour and had to get rushed into a c-section and Dr. Supriya was extremely capable. Certificates in her office also state that she's certified by the American Board of Obgyns as well. My wife and I both agreed that we'd prefer to have another baby with her than return to North America to have it. Ram hospital was fine as well. The total cost of the delivery (including 24 hours of "normal" labour and emergency c-section) was 45 000 baht. It's expensive for Thailand but cheap for US prices.

There's also a guy that just moved into my moobaan who setting up some kind of retirement program for active people. I don't know much about it but his website is: http://www.andana-asia.com/

Hi Steve,

I visited Thailand last December-Feb. I brought clothes which I wore in the US in the summer. While visiting Doi Intanon during the coldest days, which is the highest mountain in the country, I didn't need to wear the sweater I brought.

I found that in Feb., at the tail end of Thai 'cold season', my 'summer' clothes were too thick.

I felt buying clothes made in Thailand probably is more suitable, as the fabric tend to be lighter. So, I'd say don't bring too much clothes with you. Fabric and tailoring quality for the low-cost ready-made clothes sold in the markets tend to be of inferior quality. I took my daughter to buy a suit/skirt from Central Chidlom, the quality was good, and it cost about $70, which wasn't bad.

During my visit, some Thais told me I could rent for the range you mentioned.

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve.

For noticablly cooler weather, one needs to live high in the mountains near Chiang Mai. It's about a 45-60 minute drive to get there. There would be a dearth of rental properties in that area, and what might be available would be 2-3 times the range of rets you've said you're looking for. Somewhat cooler weather, cleaner air, trees and streams , can be found in the foothills nearby and the longer drive time would be cut n half. The rent range you've indicated would be for fairly low end housing, but if you spend some time here and search diligently, you might find something near the upper end of your range. Be prepared to make your own improvements or upgrades, as landlords here tend to take a "handsoff " approach with regard to anything save for rent collection.

Land prices in and around Chiang Mai are not exactly cheap, but I would say it trades at a discount to many other areas in Thailand of large population.

The Japanese expat piopulation here is rather large, but I know very little about it. I'm sure your wife would find common interests with some of them. I suggest an extended vacation to the area for fact gatering purposes and putting things you read here and elsewhere into perspective.

I just want to thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me. I am getting quite excited about visting CM (and not only to see my new grandchild).

Steve

Hi Steve

My wife and I moved to Thailan a year and a half ago and we had our first baby in Chiang Mai with Dr. Supriya. She's great and don't let it worry you. My wife had a complicated labour and had to get rushed into a c-section and Dr. Supriya was extremely capable. Certificates in her office also state that she's certified by the American Board of Obgyns as well. My wife and I both agreed that we'd prefer to have another baby with her than return to North America to have it. Ram hospital was fine as well. The total cost of the delivery (including 24 hours of "normal" labour and emergency c-section) was 45 000 baht. It's expensive for Thailand but cheap for US prices.

There's also a guy that just moved into my moobaan who setting up some kind of retirement program for active people. I don't know much about it but his website is: http://www.andana-asia.com/

Thanks for the assurance. My daughter and her husband found Dr.Supriya through some friends and I am sure they would not lead them astray (nor, I'm sure, would you). It's just that being so far away fom them we need all the assureance we can get.

Thanks again

Steve

Hello Steve.

There are enough overlaps between your situation and mine -- and not only in your words just quoted -- that I may be able to help out, both now with these questions and from time to time in the future with others.

I just moved to Thailand with my wife, with plans to live in Chiang Mai on a retirement visa. Before moving here, I lived in Japan for ten years, where I met and married my wife, who is Japanese. One of the reasons we chose Chiang Mai was that we had the same understanding about there being a fairly sizeable Japanese community here. We have only been here a little while, and have been busy finding a place to live and so on, so we have not had time yet to explore the Japanese community in any depth. We have visited one organization for Japanese staying in or regularly visiting Chiang Mai on a "long stay" basis. It is called CLL -- I don't know what the initials stand for -- and you can find their web site by searching for "Chiang Mai" and "CLL".

You and your wife will find Japanese restaurants here. Based on our experience so far, though, if the two of you like good Japanese food, you will likely be somewhat disappointed here, where the quality seems to be so-so at best. My wife and I are much happier eating at Thai restaurants, many of which are amazingly good. Also, and without meaning to come across in an obnoxious way (but realizing that I may), I am comparing the Japanese food here to what we had in Tokyo, and it may well be that there is less difference between the Japanese restaurants here and those in Seattle. In any case, you're coming anyway, so the best thing is obviously for you to try them for yourself when you get here.

We have not searched for Japanese food shops yet, and so I cannot help you yet with that.

Feel free to PM me if you want to follow up off-line.

Rasseru

Edited by Rasseru

Hi Steve

Thanks for the assurance. My daughter and her husband found Dr.Supriya through some friends and I am sure they would not lead them astray (nor, I'm sure, would you). It's just that being so far away fom them we need all the assureance we can get.

Thanks again

Steve

Dr. Catareeya Supriya is a wonderful doctor. Rest assured that you have chosen the best one for the care of your daughter. Our son also had an emergency C-section but the doctor handled the case like a pro. I was in the operation room while she operated on my wife, yes she allows it, the other male doctors don't!. She would be delivering our 3rd child this november.

• 7 months later...

I hope that your daughter had a good experience giving birth in Chiang Mai.

My wife is pregnant now (only 8 weeks) and we are planning to have the baby in Chiang Mai and we are considering Dr. Supriya. Can you please let us know how it went for your daughter and any advise you might have from the experience?

Thank you,

David

Hello Steve

Welcome to Chiang May!

We are a lot of westerners to live here in CM our retired time. Different ages, different nationalities and different densibilities... but, I guess, we are all sharing the same love of this city and its area!

About your shirts... I think better to forget (;-) and come here lightly to buy what you realy need here. Incredible choice, from first class brands to low quality fashion, but cheap and easy to wear...

In fact, the average climate here go from sunny and cool in the short winter (nov to jan, 26°C at day/15°C at night) to sunny and hot in the following summer (feb to may, 38°C at day/24°C at night). Between is the rainy season sunny and rainy 50/50 with moist air (june to oct, 35°C at day/25°C at night), but not rainy all day long: suddenly many clouds come, drop their heavy load during 1,2 or 3 hours and come back the clean sky. More often in the evening (because of the moson effect).

First of all, don't worry about your one year retirement visa. OK at the first time maybe it seems a little "complicated" but not at all difficult: if you have the famous 800,000 Baths on an account in a thay bank and all the "easy to get" documents required, there is no problem. Further more, here in CM, officers of the immigration service (near the airport) are very kind and only want to help you. You ask for every thing you need to know and they explain to you with a smile on their lips (...most of the time).

About renting, maybe you are a little optimistic. You are in the "low" grade. If you can, better to plan 12,000 to 15,000 Baths (or more!) for a house with garden and nicely comfotable in the near area of the city, about 15/20 minutes from center town and its up to date facilities. Easy to find "your home": many offers and some good agencies...

Very difficult to own for a westerner, except in condominiums (towers of apartments with 5 stars facilities) wich are built for. Many prices, from 1 million Baths to... no end! It depends of the situation, the space and the range of comfort...

I think too that living "in the mountain" is a "wonderfull experience", but as the westerners we are, maybe daily you should feel "lost" and "boring": there you are in the real thai country style life! Thay speaking, thay "facilities", thay shops and so on. Not bad at all (I do the "experience" in the east of Thailand and I learn a lot with very lovely kind people), but sometimes a little "heavy" to manage each hour of your life... imagine when you only want a CD, a magazine, a book, a real coffee or beer in the fresh shadow of an afternoon ending at an attended terrasse with some english locutor... or a good thick and juicy steack just now!

But I don't realy know: maybe it would be your way of life...

Furthermore you can easily get a thay driving license for a car or a motorcycle, and buy one. You simply need some "easy to get" documents in any case... and make you "free to go", where and when you want.

Here, life is "cool", quiet, safety, slow and without any worry if you "take the rythm" and if you "take the smiling": chay yen (cool heart) and may pen ray (don't worry) are the two more precious rules a westerner have to use to imerge himself in the real thay way of life... and it's exciting!

Hope I can help you a little...

Good luck Steve

Gobs

My 2ct:

Don't expect too much from japanese food here. Don't know why but the nearest good Sushi is in Bangkok. Even in Bangkok, not easy to find *

I am no expert on other Japanese food so I don't want to judge the quality of that but there's quite a few Japanese-run restaurants in chiang mai.

Up in Pai we also have a genuine Japanese hippie community - if you are into that sort of thing :o

Chiang mai weather tends to be on the hot side. October-Jan is pleasant, March and April are months to visit folks back home, e.g. best to just leave. raining season is pretty nice, surely nothing compared to Seattle. Main difference to rains back home - it _stops_ raining frequently.

I used to live in Salzburg, Austria, which has a reputation for rain, and the thing that got me most was the periods of time where it would just rain for 3 weeks straight with no sun visible for weeks or even months on end. That doesn't happen in CM, or anywhere in Thailand. There will be some sun every day.

I am expecting a baby in August. While we are not using the RAM, we have heard only good things about it - your daughter is in good hands there.

Chiang Mai is a great place, I am sure you will like it.

* Aoi in Siam Paragon is excellent and at lunch, downright cheap for the quality served.

I am a foodie that used to live in San Francisco and I am quite happy with Zen Sushi and the other chain in the Night Bazaar. No, they aren't the best in the world, but they are a heck of a lot better than nothing - which is what we had until very recently! :o

My husband and I are also from Seattle, and live 1/2 the year in CM (and around). I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend it, with very few (small)reservations. The cost of living is very bearable, especially compared to Seattle. Yes, it does get hot, sometimes stinkin' hot, but most places have AC and we have found a number of pools, our favorite being the 700-year pavilion, that are very inexpensive, a short bike ride away, help cool you down and with fitness benefits besides! The rainy season is wet, but unlike Seattle, it just pours like mad and then the sun is out again. We have found the community experience to be extremely welcoming and helpful. Of course there are the occasional "bad day" experiences, but I can't wait to move to CM permanently. (Daughter in high school here) anything comes to mind, PM me if you like. Follow your heart!

Actually, I'd negligently forgotten about the air pollution. (I'm stuck in Seattle until June, out-o-sight, outta mind) Yes, there is air pollution. My bad. You really shouldn't be able to see what you're breathing. I take the bad with the great good...

Zen Japanes

e restaurant in CM offers very good Japanese food for an expat Japanese restaurant. Growing up in Tokyo, spoiled me for life, and that was during and just after the occupation when everything was inexpensive and not as westernized as now.

My daughter travels the world, loves sushi and eats it more than twice a week, whether in Tokyo, Sydney or here at Zen. She seems to enjoy her sushi wherever she is because she is not judgmental about it. I am sure there are poor sushi restaurants in Tokyo.

We are nearing the end of the worst air pollution season ever in CM and it is easy to fixate on it. However, it is really the only major negative about CM and then it is only for a couple of months a year.

There was a BBC news piece on air pollution in Beijing today at noon and they really made it sound unbearable. My guess is that CM is worse. However, Beijing has air pollution year round is my guess, while CM has it only in parts of February, March and April.

There are very few places in the world that doesn't have some big negative about living there, so pick your poison. Frankly, I became very depressed when I stayed in Seattle due to the prolonged periods of no sun and all that rain. Sure the air was great, but I was so depressed that I just couldn't live there without daily sun.

Others manage well there. Californians say "rather shovel smog than snow" New Englanders hate California because there are no "change of seasons". To each his own.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Gobs! This is Pentri. I was wondering if you know of any good italian restaurants that you like to eat at in the city? I was there in December and January, but, for the most part, just ate Thai food. I will be returning to Chiang Mai in August and would like to check out a good italian place to eat at. I will be coming there to live and the only reservation I have is missing eating italian food; but I have some arrangements with my brothers sending me some staples so I can cook for myself. One good thing, though: at least the asians are noodle-eaters. I can easily adjust to their diet.

I like Buonisimo on the main road, I think callled Prao, anyway it is the north-south road that goes by Rimping Market/North.

I have been away for a year and have driven by it a few times during the day and saw no one in there, however, it may be open an night? Anyone know. Prices are great.

There are lots and LOTS of good Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai run by real Italians and their Thai wives.

IMHO Da Stephanos near the main branch of Gecko Books and Thapae Gate is best and they have the best Italian style pizza in Chiang Mai also.

I like Buonisimo too, but not very centrally located. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

We have not searched for Japanese food shops yet, and so I cannot help you yet with that.

Feel free to PM me if you want to follow up off-line.

Rasseru

Rasseru fyi Rimping Supermarkets have a Japanese food section including short grain rice and seaweed etc. Can't say I spent much time there looking at the section but have been told that the selection at the Maejo store is good - more and wider selection of foods. Don't know about the new one near Central but expect it would be fairly good selection being a larger storre. Be warned that like all things Rimping it is not cheap.

CB

There are lots and LOTS of good Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai run by real Italians and their Thai wives.

IMHO Da Stephanos near the main branch of Gecko Books and Thapae Gate is best and they have the best Italian style pizza in Chiang Mai also.

I like Buonisimo too, but not very centrally located. :o

I agree that Stephanos Thapae is the best (and maybe the cheapest?) Italian food in Chiang Mai :D

I like Buonisimo on the main road, I think callled Prao, anyway it is the north-south road that goes by Rimping Market/North.

I have been away for a year and have driven by it a few times during the day and saw no one in there, however, it may be open an night? Anyone know. Prices are great.

Buonissimo has moved to Faham Road.