Trouble with immigration

Word of caution, I am sat at KLIA on my way back to thailand, and thai air made me buy a ticket out of thailand, as I had no visa and was entering as a tourist. They told me under new rules I had to have a flight out. I have been living in thailand 12 years now, 28/28, and come as a tourist! I only ever spend 18-24 days here due to travel to Brazil for work! I was asked once before for a ticket out, some 5 years ago, but blagged it! I had to buy a ticket, bought one to KL!

Have enquire about a visa before, but I am not in the country long enough to get one? Brit, 61, and married, so yes I can get one, just need the time!

I have noticed that THAI Airways has recently become stricter about implementing the ticket out of the country requirement or checking for visas if you come armed with a one way ticket for departure from some regional countries. Departing from Laos or Myanmar they still don't check, but from Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh at least) THAI now does check. Last year I was on visa exempt and quizzed about not having a return or onward ticket. In reality I did have a ticket to Vientiane for the next morning and I told the check-in agent that. Actually I even had a copy of the ticket somewhere in my bags but couldn't be bothered trying to find it at the check-in counter but a verbal acknowledgement seemed to be enough.

A couple of weeks ago returning to Bangkok from Ho Chi Minh on the same evening THAI flight the staff automatically looked for my visa, saw it and of course this was fine. I was again travelling on a one way ticket as can be expected for a regional trip especially given that I now live in Thailand.

On the other hand, Singapore Airlines in Singapore did not check my passport for a visa or onward ticket within 30 days if I didn't have a visa (they did have a record of a return ticket in their system, but for more than 2 months after departure) and this was in October. Unless maybe it was that I entered this data into the online check-in system hence their was no need to check - but actually if I recall correctly I only entered my passport number and nationality so a manual check for a visa at the airport would have been necessary but this was not performed. THAI has started asking for passport and visa data in advance when checking in online (although it's optional) but I don't recall Singapore Airlines, which I flew for the first time in more than 5 years this year, as asking for the same.

Similarly, THAI Airways in Australia is not as strict as it used to be on checking these things, neither is Singapore Airlines. However, THAI seems to have become stricter in SE Asia. I have never flown into Malaysia, but now we also have a report about Malaysia being stricter with asking for onward tickets/visas.

The only airport in the region that has always checked (even years ago) for visas/onward tickets or credit cards to prove you can purchase an outbound ticket was Hong Kong.

Mainland China never a problem and never any checks of documents, except for Chinese travellers or travellers from countries (such as Sri Lankans) that need visas just to enter Thailand, in which case they are checked for compliance.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I'm back with a question about proof of address for O visa application. I was planning to take a copy of my car's blue book page showing name, address and passport number along with a letter from the condo management. Will this be enough or do I need something more official?

I'm back with a question about proof of address for O visa application. I was planning to take a copy of my car's blue book page showing name, address and passport number along with a letter from the condo management. Will this be enough or do I need something more official?

You mean a non-imm 'O' visa application to a Thai consulate? No proof of address whatsoever is required.

If you mean an extension of stay at immigration applied in Thailand, normally a receipt is enough and if you don't pay rent a short note from your host. Only some offices makes it difficult and require copy of ID and house book of the landlord.

You mean a non-imm 'O' visa application to a Thai consulate? No proof of address whatsoever is required.

If you mean an extension of stay at immigration applied in Thailand, normally a receipt is enough and if you don't pay rent a short note from your host. Only some offices makes it difficult and require copy of ID and house book of the landlord.

I mean applying for a non-imm O inside the country at the new immigration office north of Bangkok. I was on a non-imm B extensions for many years, but now that's done and it's time to retire here by going through the process of getting an O visa then doing yearly retirement extensions. I'm on a 30-day exemption stamp right now.

If you only hold a 30 day visa exempt entry, you will have to convert at immirgaiton with at least 15 days remaining on your current permisison to stay! And come back after 15 days to get the actual conversion.

In addition, if you go for the option of showing money in the bank, you will need proof it came from abroad.

If you only hold a 30 day visa exempt entry, you will have to convert at immirgaiton with at least 15 days remaining on your current permisison to stay! And come back after 15 days to get the actual conversion.

In addition, if you go for the option of showing money in the bank, you will need proof it came from abroad.

Thanks Mario. The money situation has been discussed in previous posts. The money has been accumulated over the years I've worked here with lots of documentation to show that. Ubonjoe felt that since the money's been in the bank for quite some time, I shouldn't have a problem.

What I really needed to know is what immigration will accept as proof of address in Thailand. As posted before, I was planning to take a copy of my car's blue book page showing name, address and passport number along with a letter from the condo management.

I just noticed that you replied saying some offices will want to a rental agreement and I remember signing some sort of lease or agreement years ago. I'll ask the condo management about it. I was hoping that somebody might be familiar with what they will accept at the Chaeng Wattana office in case the condo people can't give me a copy of an agreement. There was a management change a few years ago where I live and it may have been lost.

You will not need proof of residence to do the conversion to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok.

You will need it when you apply for the extension of stay at immigration in Jomtien. The best thing would be a rental agreement with copies of your landlords ID and house book attached.

You will not need proof of residence to do the conversion to a non immigrant visa in Bangkok.

You will need it when you apply for the extension of stay at immigration in Jomtien. The best thing would be a rental agreement with copies of your landlords ID and house book attached.

Thanks. That's good news. I thought it said in another post that proof of residence was needed for this step of the process. I was going to go to Chaeng Wattana this morning but have been waiting for the condo office to open and get my letter from them, so I guess it's off real early tomorrow from the Pattaya area as I have only 2 business days left on my stamp before the 15-day period is gone. I suspect going the day before or the day after the long New Year's break is bad timing, but I don't see much choice.

Edited by Inbetween

You only have tomorrow to do it. Immigration will be closed on the 31st and reopen on the 5th.

You could go to Jomtien and apply for a 30 day extension and get it done after the holidays.

I thought they would be open on Friday,Jan 2. thanks for letting me know.

So there's usually no problem extending a 30-day exemption stamp? That would be fine but paying another 1900 baht is getting a bit much. I've been used to paying 1900 once a year and getting that reimbursed. It's already been twice in a few weeks because of what I think was some bad info (not here) and some bad luck.

The 30-day option is really good to know about. I'm such newbie when it comes to this immigration stuff. I was spoiled during my long work term with it all being done for me, so I've learned nothing about the ins and outs of immigration. Thanks for everyone's help.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate everyone's help and just wanted to update this thread.

I was given good advice about going to Lao for my O visa but didn't get a chance to do that. The 30-day stamp I got at the Bangkok airport was good until Jan 16, so I went to Jomtien immigration on the 14th to get a 30-day extension, but that same guy who always seems to be at he front desk and has been for many years, told me I could only get 7 days. When I asked him why he said it was because I didn't have a visa. I told him that I don't need a visa as I came in on an exemption stamp, but he wasn't interested in talking anymore and walked away. I know there's another post somewhere about charging more for a 30-day extension there.

So, on the 15th I went to Bangkok Division 1 at Chaeng Wattana building. It was fairly busy but surprisingly efficient. I had a my 30-day extension processed in a friendly and professional way for the legal price, and the same was true for my O visa application. I was told to come back on the 29th for my stamp. As for the money needed for a retirement extension, I had gone to the bank the day before to get my passbook updated and to get a letter, but the woman doing the O visa wanted the passbook updated the same day. She told me to go to the bank downstairs to update it then make a photocopy. I did that and came back to continue the process. I'm not sure, but I thought the woman said to see her directly on the 29th and not queue up. Does that seem right or did I misunderstand her?

Sounds to me you asked for a conversion to a non-immigrant visa. It is standard practice you have to come back after 2 weeks to receive the conversion.

That you cannot do at Jomtiem, but as you said they should have offered a 30 day extension.

They have a desk for those that have already applied for visas or extensions are waiting for approval. You go there and hand over your passport.

I would expect something like that, but I think the woman said to come directly to her cubicle on the 29th. Does that make sense?

Yes Mario, it was my initial application for a non-imm O visa, and I had heard about the 2-week waiting period. I got the 30-day extension then immediately applied for the O visa. I was asking mainly about the process of seeing the officer I dealt with directly on the 29th rather than some sort of general queue or desk like Ubonjoe mentioned above. Thanks again guys.

Edited by Inbetween

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps for visas you can go straight to the desk. I would just do it to see if it is correct.

Perhaps.

I'll let you know.

That's how it worked out. I grabbed a number to be on the safe side, but after I had been standing around for a couple of minutes near the cubicles, an older male officer saw my passport and receipt then took them away for about 15 minutes. He came back with my new O visa, so thanks once again to all who helped with information and advice, even if I didn't follow all of it.