No Christmas menu at 18 Coins this year......

WhamBam

No Christmas menu at 18 Coins this year on me asking in there today. In some ways this is a relief. I can get a good meal without paying through the nose for it.

I was out looking for places that have a Christmas menu and looking at some of the prices, 900 Baht + each, I'd already determined it seemed a waste of money.

Besides, my favourite little restaurant has a BBQ and Chistmas cake for 150 Baht on the evening. That will top me up nicely.

I don't know about you guys, but it would have been nice to have a decent Christmas dinner without the inflated prices. As for the rest of Christmas, I'm not really into it.

• Like 1

Just got back from having a brilliant Gamon Steak and chips at 18 Coins and the Christmas Menu was on the Table. About 670 Baht - Not quite sure.

I wasn't really interested as Christmas Dinners are too BIG for me .

Had a chat with the BOSS and he told me the landlord is putting the rent up to silly money - So on the 1st of Jan he is moving lock stock and barrel across the street to EATWELLS - That will become the NEW 18 COINS.

• Like 2

Just got back from having a brilliant Gamon Steak and chips at 18 Coins and the Christmas Menu was on the Table. About 670 Baht - Not quite sure.

Had a chat with the BOSS and he told me the landlord is putting the rent up to silly money - So on the 1st of Jan he is moving lock stock and barrel across the street to EATWELLS - That will become the NEW 18 COINS.

Thanks for that.

Then the staff at reception do not have any idea. No real surprise there.

I used to enjoy eating at Eatwells, gazing down upon the great unwashed across the street. And now look what's happening!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just passed the NEW 18 coins ( EATWELLS ) ( OPPOSITE ) and the place was packed with all the 18 Coin Customers.

They have made the space larger so there are more seats there than they had in the OLD PLACE.

I also looked into the OLD 18 Coins - Table and chairs are there but no customers.

• Like 1

Mike my spider senses are tingling your something to do with 18 coins.

Mike has nothing to do with the 18 Coins or the Coins

Allen and Ian owners of The Coins are good mates of mine, Mike (my neighbor) just knows a lot of local restaurants and passes on his knowledge to others, if you look at other forums he does bar and restaurants guides around Pattaya

Chiang Mai has a lot of places that do good holiday set turkey dinners for around 300 baht. Does nothing like that exist in Pattaya?

No. AFAIK apart from the odd Christmas Day specials at disparate places on Buakhao, there are no recognised, seasonal food kitchens for pensioners in Pattaya, the home of the more affluent coffin dodger.

Why do you ask?

Different or more diverse restaurant scene in Pattaya maybe? Turkey isn't a big feature for the Norwegians, Germans, French and other Europeans that make up the expat melange in Pattaya although some older Aussies and Kiwi's may consider the traditional turkey 'Christmas Dinner' as important. The Americans do all that stuff a month earlier. That leaves the Brits in Pattaya to carry the torch but they tend to be more of a kebab crowd these days due to cultural changes and limited budgets.

As for bars that have a decent menu, they are on the decline as there's just not enough regular or tourist trade to keep the kitchen open these days. Their primary revenue stream will be beer and spirits, aided and abetted by the ladies and something called a bar fine. Are the Chiang Mai bars similar?