General Outline For Buying New Car From Authorized Dealers

So I'm probably going to buy a new car (Nissan X-Trail) in the next couple weeks and just wanted to outline the purchase process here and get any feedback on anything I'm missing. (I know this has been done before but if anyone would humour me and point out anything I'm missing it would be appreciated.) I have bought and sold a couple cars already in Thailand but these were used cars. This is the first time I will purchase new from a dealer. This will be a cash sale. So I talked to the sales rep today about the purchase process and he outlined the following steps:

1. Negotiate purchase price and any included extras (freebies) and draw-up and sign a purchase contract.

2. Put down a 5000 baht deposit.

3. Dealer will order the model/color/trim level of car and call when the vehicle arrives at the dealer (1-2 weeks).

4. The vehicle arrives at the dealer with red plates and dealer calls me.

5. Return to dealer and inspect the vehicle. If ok, pay balance of the purchase price. (Certified bank check in the corporate dealers name I presume.)

6. Dealer installs agreed upon paid accessories and freebies. (We actually didn't discuss this...would this take place before or after I hand over the bank check?)

7. Once the check is handed over, I'm the owner of the vehicle and am free to drive it home that day.

8. Before leaving with the car, I will deposit with them 3000 baht for the red plate (I think that was the amount) plus around 5000 baht for the first year annual government road tax/registration and 600 baht or so for the compulsory insurance and the dealer will arrange for these payments to be made and a white license plate to be issued.

9. In 4-8 weeks depending, they will call me to return and have the license plates swapped and give me the "blue book" with my name as the registered owner. (Again, we didn't discuss the book part but I guess that's how it would go down. Am I right...what ownership document do I have before I get the book while I'm driving around waiting for the white plates...the purchase contract and payment receipt?)

10. Finished.

Is that how new car purchases work in Thailand...am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

A few slight changes in bold:

1. Negotiate purchase price including road tax and insurance, plus any included extras (freebies), get a confirmed delivery date, confirm that they will have red plates available for you, confirm how they want final payment, and draw-up and sign a purchase contract.

3. Dealer will order the model/color/trim level of car and I will call at least every week for an update up until when the vehicle arrives at the dealer

4. The vehicle arrives at the dealer, and they fit all agreed accessories.

5. Return to dealer and inspect the vehicle and fitted accessories.

6. Confirm your acceptance of the car

7. Pay the balance using they method they agreed to in #1, and the deposit for the red plates in cash (otherwise you might not get cash back).

8. Dealer installs red plates and hands you the brown book + reciepts to prove you paid for it and photocopies of an insurer's fax to prove that it's insured.

9. In 2-26 weeks depending, they will call me to return and have the license plates swapped, give me back my red plate deposit, and give me the "blue book" with my name as the registered owner.

10. Finished.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Assuming that the dealer is in Pattaya:

1) Negotiate
2) Negotiate some more
3) Do some more negotiation
4) Get a quote from a dealer in Bangkok
5) Armed with (4) go back to the Pattaya dealer and negotiate again
6) Do some more negotiation. Dont hesitate to play one dealer off against another.
7) Did I mention that you need to negotiate hard?
8) Get everything you have agreed to written down in English and signed and stamped by the dealer.
9) Never pay until the vehicle is EXACTLY as you want it to be.

Congrats on your purchase, I assume you will Nismo-ize your xtrail :)

Nice...sorta looks like the Lexus NX300 with that front piece accessory. Unfortunately, the top spec only comes in white and black and the pieces grey and metallic doesn't look very good on white which is the colour I will get. (Even the sales rep agreed with me...didn't even try to sell mee on the add- on extra.)

Probably only accessories I will get are the LED light plates for the door floor trim and loading gate and the exhaust pipe finisher. The square fog lights look better than the stock round one, however...maybe I can find a shop in Patts that has these.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Congrats on your purchase, I assume you will Nismo-ize your xtrail smile.png

Nice...sorta looks like the Lexus NX300 with that front piece accessory. Unfortunately, the top spec only comes in white and black and the pieces grey and metallic doesn't look very good on white which is the colour I will get. (Even the sales rep agreed with me...didn't even try to sell mee on the add- on extra.)

Probably only accessories I will get are the LED light plates for the door floor trim and loading gate and the exhaust pipe finisher. The square fog lights look better than the stock round one, however...maybe I can find a shop in Patts that has these.

Haven't checked for the new X-Trail yet, but the US-China e-commerce site DHGate is always fast with accessories for new models and they drop ship to Thailand directly from China at low prices. If you're not in a hurry, you might wait a bit for your accessories.

• Like 1

Haven't checked for the new X-Trail yet, but the US-China e-commerce site DHGate is always fast with accessories for new models and they drop ship to Thailand directly from China at low prices. If you're not in a hurry, you might wait a bit for your accessories.

Thanks for the link...so interesting stuff there http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=nissan+x-trail+2014&catalog=112004#Homesearch201403

Now I can trick it out the new ride like a real Thai...maybe with the illuminated "Nissan" front logo...but which color to get :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the link...so interesting stuff there http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/search.do?act=search&sus=&searchkey=nissan+x-trail+2014&catalog=112004#Homesearch201403

Now I can trick it out the new ride like a real Thai...maybe with the illuminated "Nissan" front logo...but which color to get smile.png

The illumination color? black ;)

Many years ago I bought a Nissan in Bkk. I sent an email asking for bids from more than 10 dealers. Not sure if that will work these days as that was just after 1997 and sales were bad.

I saved more than 10%.

I purchased a new Nissan a year ago. Ordered built in GPS that was not installed when car arrived. It was not there when we closed - sales lady said it will be about 2,000 baht so we closed but I did not get the price in writing. Two weeks later I went back to inquire about the GPS. Oh, we found out it is going to be 20,000 baht.

Just remember there is not truth laws in sales or lending in Thailand that will ever be applied.

Get all conversations in writing.

• Like 1

1. Negotiate purchase price including road tax and insurance, plus any included extras (freebies), get a confirmed delivery date, confirm that they will have red plates available for you, confirm how they want final payment, and draw-up and sign a purchase contract.

3. Dealer will order the model/color/trim level of car and I will call at least every week for an update up until when the vehicle arrives at the dealer

7. Pay the balance using they method they agreed to in #1, and the deposit for the red plates in cash (otherwise you might not get cash back).

8. Dealer installs red plates and hands you the brown book + reciepts to prove you paid for it and photocopies of an insurer's fax to prove that it's insured.

9. In 2-26 weeks depending, they will call me to return and have the license plates swapped, give me back my red plate deposit, and give me the "blue book" with my name as the registered owner.

10. Finished.

Thank you for your detailed input.

Point 1: The government road tax and insurance are fixed prices correct...are you saying to negotiate who should pay these for the first year or maybe a 50/50 split of the costs? Also, I'm a little confused as to the red plates. The salesman said the car would already have red plates when it arrived at the dealer...when do cars get red plates...when they leave the factory or is this something dealers get from the LTO before selling a car? Check on specifying a confirmed delivery date in the sales contract (and I will add a remedy of cancellation and return of 5000 deposit if this date is not met).

Point 3: Is it really necessary for me to call and pester the dealer? The sales contract will state a delivery date and return of the deposit if it's not met. Presumably the dealer has some incentive to get the car on time and get back back to me. I don't think there will be much problem getting the vehicle as it's the top-trim model and the economy/auto sales are in a slump right now. It's not like a couple years ago when people were paying 100k over list for Fortuners and Rangers and waiting 6 months for delivery.

Point 7: Check.

Okay, the process doesn't sound too complicated. I'm also assuming that all the paperwork will be in Thai so I should take along a Thai friend with me correct?

OP: Point 8 was different for my Toyota: In-province-only (faked) red plates are free, for "real" ones I had to deposit 2000 Baht. And the insurance (1st class) was free for the first years, tax and PRB (compulsory insurance) were free.

I got 30,000 Baht discount on the listed price without negotiating at Phuket Motors...

10. Finished.

Thank you for your detailed input.

Point 1: The government road tax and insurance are fixed prices correct...are you saying to negotiate who should pay these for the first year or maybe a 50/50 split of the costs? Also, I'm a little confused as to the red plates. The salesman said the car would already have red plates when it arrived at the dealer...when do cars get red plates...when they leave the factory or is this something dealers get from the LTO before selling a car? Check on specifying a confirmed delivery date in the sales contract (and I will add a remedy of cancellation and return of 5000 deposit if this date is not met).

Point 3: Is it really necessary for me to call and pester the dealer? The sales contract will state a delivery date and return of the deposit if it's not met. Presumably the dealer has some incentive to get the car on time and get back back to me. I don't think there will be much problem getting the vehicle as it's the top-trim model and the economy/auto sales are in a slump right now. It's not like a couple years ago when people were paying 100k over list for Fortuners and Rangers and waiting 6 months for delivery.

Point 7: Check.

Okay, the process doesn't sound too complicated. I'm also assuming that all the paperwork will be in Thai so I should take along a Thai friend with me correct?

Point 1: Taxes are fixed for the car, insurance is variable in price - both should be able to be negotiated for free though. Red plates do not come from the factory - each dealer has their own, limited collection of them, hence why you need to be specific, upfront, or risk a 'surprise' of them having none available.

Point 3: Refer to my addendum where I pointed out that most of the time, dealers lie about actual delivery timeframes. The squeaky door gets the oil, the quiet ones keep getting moved to the back of the queue. It's a new model, and the biggest sales event of the year has only just ended, so don't assume they have a bunch of cars sitting at Nissan waiting for your order.

Last Point: Most likely all in Thai, yes.

• Like 1

I purchased a new Nissan a year ago. Ordered built in GPS that was not installed when car arrived. It was not there when we closed - sales lady said it will be about 2,000 baht so we closed but I did not get the price in writing. Two weeks later I went back to inquire about the GPS. Oh, we found out it is going to be 20,000 baht.

Just remember there is not truth laws in sales or lending in Thailand that will ever be applied.

I experienced more or less the same when I bought a Nissan (except I was told it would be free). Coincidence?

Process I used.

Saw vehicle in dealer was asked by girl there if I was interested in it. Negotiated price and additions, service, liner, etc. Paid 5000. Next day went to check car. They called the girl who did the deal who was on a day off. She came with her girlfriend and they drove me to the bank to get cheque. While there the two young ladies got hungry so went to a medium resturant to eat. (this I thought I would pay for but not worried,) Girl paid bill for food as a thank you for buying the car. Went back collected the car. Paid for the plates depsosit got reminded there was only a little petrol in tank so dealer drove me to the nearby petrol station and put 1000 bahts fuel in. She paid. Drove back to dealer dropped the sales girl off and went home.

Returned and got services done and a month later the lady phoned me as she had the English manual for me.

Painless buying.

Nice to hear your buying experience was so smooth. However, reading about the generosity of the salesgirls and the dealer leads me to believe there may have been allot of fat in the price you paid for the car.

I'm hoping to put my dealer on a low-fat diet. I guess I'll know in my case if I succeeded if they take me to lunch and buy me extra gas as well :)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I experienced more or less the same when I bought a Nissan (except I was told it would be free). Coincidence?

He trim level of my X-Trail includes NAV so assume it's factory installed. Even if a dealer installed add-on, there would be no extra charge for it.

OP: Point 8 was different for my Toyota: In-province-only (faked) red plates are free, for "real" ones I had to deposit 2000 Baht. And the insurance (1st class) was free for the first years, tax and PRB (compulsory insurance) were free.

I got 30,000 Baht discount on the listed price without negotiating at Phuket Motors...

I didn't get into the nitty-gritty of negotiations yet, but the salesman said full first year insurance (Yivayah), rubber floor mats, and a license plate frame (400 baht) he could do. I told him the free 400 baht frame on a 1.5M vehicle was the deal closer :)

But seriously, besides those offers, I'm shooting for window film and the chrome exhaust tip finishing.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I didn't get into the nitty-gritty of negotiations yet, but the salesman said full first year insurance (Yivayah), rubber floor mats, and a license plate frame (400 baht) he could do. I told him the free 400 baht frame on a 1.5M vehicle was the deal closer smile.png

But seriously, besides those offers, I'm shooting for window film and the chrome exhaust tip finishing.

Don't forget the lessons on free window film here on other threads. Demand 3M at least HP FX quality, and try for Crystalline on the front windshield if at all. If they won't give you good film, negotiate it out of the package and do it yourself, and same with floor mats. IMHO cited a great source on another thread for custom floor mats - the only way to go on a nice new SUV.

• Like 1

Assuming that the dealer is in Pattaya:

1) Negotiate

2) Negotiate some more

3) Do some more negotiation

4) Get a quote from a dealer in Bangkok

5) Armed with (4) go back to the Pattaya dealer and negotiate again

6) Do some more negotiation. Dont hesitate to play one dealer off against another.

7) Did I mention that you need to negotiate hard?

8) Get everything you have agreed to written down in English and signed and stamped by the dealer.

9) Never pay until the vehicle is EXACTLY as you want it to be.

How did you guess? Yeah, it was the new Nissan dealer in front of the Ambassador Hotel (where any big nosed looking farang is greeted in Russian when you walk in the door..."das veedanya" :) ) There is one other Nissan dealer out by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital and ones in Leam Chabang and Sri Racha. If I get ambitious I may get quotes from them too. I'm not one to travel here and there and spend allot of time to save a few bob on an already expensive purchase.

However, as there's likely to be few Russian buyers at the moment, maybe I get a good price. The Russia. salesman was a pleasant bloke and didn't even complain about the screws my country, America, is putting on his at the moment!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Insurance and all taxes should be included in whatever price you agree to. In fact, the dealer where I purchased has a line for 1st class insurance pre-printed on the quote form with a cost of 0 baht, so it looks like they provide the first year free to all customers.

List of freebies:

Rubber floor mats, chrome exterior door handle trim, exterior side visors on all windows, window tint film, 1,000 baht fuel, 1st class insurance, road tax/registration, car cover, protective wax, license plate frame

Additional charge (deposit) of 2,000 baht for red plates. Refundable when dealer pays tax and obtains white plates.

Discount: 50,000 on a 1.2mil vehicle (dealer initially offered 40,000 but would not come up any higher than 50,000).

• Like 1

Bought my Mitsu Triton a couple of weeks ago and got a 100,000 baht discount because I bought the run-out model. Freebies included first class insurance, window tint, front bug deflector, side visors, tray liner, spare wheel lock, rubber mats, rust proofing, and free servicing for 3 years. I'm sure there's someone who can always say they did better though.

• Like 1

Process I used.

Saw vehicle in dealer was asked by girl there if I was interested in it. Negotiated price and additions, service, liner, etc. Paid 5000. Next day went to check car. They called the girl who did the deal who was on a day off. She came with her girlfriend and they drove me to the bank to get cheque. While there the two young ladies got hungry so went to a medium resturant to eat. (this I thought I would pay for but not worried,) Girl paid bill for food as a thank you for buying the car. Went back collected the car. Paid for the plates depsosit got reminded there was only a little petrol in tank so dealer drove me to the nearby petrol station and put 1000 bahts fuel in. She paid. Drove back to dealer dropped the sales girl off and went home.

Returned and got services done and a month later the lady phoned me as she had the English manual for me.

Painless buying.

Nice to hear your buying experience was so smooth. However, reading about the generosity of the salesgirls and the dealer leads me to believe there may have been allot of fat in the price you paid for the car.

I'm hoping to put my dealer on a low-fat diet. I guess I'll know in my case if I succeeded if they take me to lunch and buy me extra gas as well smile.png

Not that much fat.

100000 off 1 year insurance free services for 3 years tray liner tint and a few other odds and ends total 630000 four years ago for a vigo automatic Spacecab did not give a lot of fat.

I just posted to show was not like in Australia where you had to count your fingers every time a dealer shook hands.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Process I used.

Painless buying.

I'm hoping to put my dealer on a low-fat diet. I guess I'll know in my case if I succeeded if they take me to lunch and buy me extra gas as well smile.png

Not that much fat.

100000 off 1 year insurance free services for 3 years tray liner tint and a few other odds and ends total 630000 four years ago for a vigo automatic Spacecab did not give a lot of fat.

I just posted to show was not like in Australia where you had to count your fingers every time a dealer shook hands.

Good luck.

Good one...made me laugh clap2.gif

Bought my Mitsu Triton a couple of weeks ago and got a 100,000 baht discount because I bought the run-out model. Freebies included first class insurance, window tint, front bug deflector, side visors, tray liner, spare wheel lock, rubber mats, rust proofing, and free servicing for 3 years. I'm sure there's someone who can always say they did better though.

Oh, I forgot, and a full tank of diesel.

1. Type up a complete list of everything you want.

2. Negotiate the biggest discount you can get on the list price and see what extras they offer.

3. Tell them the items that you do not want and insist they're not included.

4. Now present them with a copy of your LIST with all the things that they have offered ticked off.

5. Do not pay for any insurance have it included.

6. Tell them you do not want red plates. I eventually got mine for free.

7. Make sure when you inspect the car you do it thoroughly. Better to take someone who knows about cars with you as a double check is worthwhile.

8. Repeat everything with 3 dealers including one in Bangkok, preferably the Main Dealer if you're talking to a branch.

9. Be prepared to start negotiations immediately after lunch and do not leave until they are locking up the showroom, unless you have everything you wanted. The pressure is on them!

10. The deposit is more likely to be 50,000 baht.

11. Make the payment of the balance by direct transfer to their bank, do it on-line and then email the receipt to them. If the dealer is in BKK then ask them, if they do not offer, to ship it your local dealer?

12. Deal with the Sales Manager.

13. Ask for the impossible!

1. Type up a complete list of everything you want.

2. Negotiate the biggest discount you can get on the list price and see what extras they offer.

3. Tell them the items that you do not want and insist they're not included.

4. Now present them with a copy of your LIST with all the things that they have offered ticked off.

5. Do not pay for any insurance have it included.

6. Tell them you do not want red plates. I eventually got mine for free.

7. Make sure when you inspect the car you do it thoroughly. Better to take someone who knows about cars with you as a double check is worthwhile.

8. Repeat everything with 3 dealers including one in Bangkok, preferably the Main Dealer if you're talking to a branch.

9. Be prepared to start negotiations immediately after lunch and do not leave until they are locking up the showroom, unless you have everything you wanted. The pressure is on them!

10. The deposit is more likely to be 50,000 baht.

11. Make the payment of the balance by direct transfer to their bank, do it on-line and then email the receipt to them. If the dealer is in BKK then ask them, if they do not offer, to ship it your local dealer?

12. Deal with the Sales Manager.

13. Ask for the impossible!

I have only ever been asked for 5000 baht deposit.