3 hours from BKK for 3 days during NYE NYD and low key........ideas? potential pitfalls?

55bulldog

Any good recommendations for something 3 hours a way for 3 days? Just wondering of any quick get a ways......thinking of Kanchanaburi, Khoa Yai, Hua Hin, or???? Would like to catch a mini van (from victory or ???), a bus (Ekamai=HH/ Kburi and for HY= Mo Chit?), or train (Hua Luampong= HH and Kburi, Mo Chit for Hat Yai?) What is the best option for the +11pm time frame on the 30th?

I am worried about problemas potenciales with accomodacion for NYE........

As far as Hua Hin goes, I am worried about some places trying to pull the "hi so" card and obligate me to a NYE dinner that I must pay for even if I choose not to attend.

Any other pitfalls to worry about at certain places because of the holiday.........

What about getting back into BKK the day after NYD? Will it be a "normal" business as usual day for Somchai, his red bull, and his mini van for a commute back to BKK?

Please share your experiences and knowledge and Merry New Year!!! Merry New Year!!!

Travelling anywhere in Thailand at this time of year is an awful experience. Buses place plastic chairs in the aisles to accommodate extra seating along with standing paying customers. Traffic is chaos with tremendous tailbacks on both Petchkasem and Sukhumvit going South and out toward Saraburi Northbound. If you can book a ticket in advance would be better. Accommodation of course at resort/popular destinations are usually booked well in advance with very little if anything available on walk in so again book in advance if possible. The train will alleviate the traffic problem to a certain extent but expect a journey similar to the Circle Line at rush hour. Id be inclined to pay extra for a cab solely for the comfort and ease. The usual booking sites Agoda, Booking.com etc will give an idea of what is available in your chosen destinations.

or go to the city of Prachuap Khiri Khan one hour south of hua hin.

start with the o-bay design hotel to give you a idea of the area to be in.

yes i am afraid to tell people how nice the weather is here.

Edited by NCC1701A

Thanks for the replies. Well, it looks like the logistical rat race maze out of BKK is leading me towards Kanchanaburi. Ruled out Khoa Yai as it may be to cool. Narrowed it down to Hua Hin and Kburi.

I ride a mini van 5-6 days a week to work and absolutely hate it so a train ride sounded nice. I was hoping to start the journey after getting off work at 9 pm and catching a 10:30 - midnight train. Thonburi seems like a pain to get to on time to catch a train so that ruled out Kburi.

Ok, so look on the internet for Hua Lamphong phone numbers. Call 6 or 7 and get "this number does not exist" recordings. Ok, go to Hua Lamphong directly, nope all booked tonight!

So it looks like an early morning wakey wakey to try a dreaded mini van to Kanchanaburi. I hope it is not a hassle to get a van there. If not it's a dinner with colleagues on Thong Lor-UCK! Then I'll have to decide to bring my pp in case I get harassed by the fuzz!

To be continued.........................................Thanks again for the replies and Merry New Year! Merry New Year!

Have a look at Bang Saen, you can get bus from Ekamai. I would suggest the Yanadin Serviced Apartments, reasonable priced, big rooms and on the taxi route down to the beach. Should be able to find on hotelscomined.

Nearest part of the beach is about 15 minute walk and it stretches for nearly 2 km, then turns into a promenade for another km or so. Not many foreigners but can get quite busy with Thais at holiday times.

Couple of interesting items are the Sea Life Institute almost opposite the Lamthong shopping mall and there is a very large and very ornate Chinese temple on the road out to the old village of Ang Sila.