WitawatWatawit

Sadly, because of work reasons, I can't just ditch it for something else.

It was working fine until a couple of days ago when I got a message to update (on my laptop) - to 7.0.80.102 version. So I did. Bad move. Now it only goes so far with the launch, to the point of showing contact names, then it stops completely and puts up an error message (1 - Search internet for problem solution, or 2 - close the program). And that's it. Won't search the net and all you can do is shut it down.

Searched the web forums (community.skype.com, etc) but can't find a solution or any info at all on this particular problem. Has anyone else had this - or better still, solved it?

Appreciate any help,

Wit.

PS: Actions I have taken so far -

a) uninstalled latest version and re-installed it. Three times. Same result every time.

B) renamed old skype folders. No luck.

c) Searched for older version to install - have located 6.1.0.129, but will defer loading it for the time being.

PPS: Have 4.18.0.15 version on my iPad - no problems (but iPad is unsuited to my work processes).

I assume you're laptop is using a Windows operating system newer than Windows XP.

I have Skype 7.0.80.102 running on my computer under Windows 7 with no problems.

There's a data folder called Skype in the %appdata%\Roaming\ folder which Skype uses to store local data in. It does not get deleted when you uninstall Skype.

Possibly one of the files in it got corrupted during the update.

You might want to make sure Skype is not running, rename the folder to Skype.bak and start Skype. Skype should create a new data folder when it starts.

You can download older versions of Skype here.

Edited by BB1950

Try doing a cold boot i.e. shutdown the machine and remove the power cord from the back. Wait a couple of minutes and then power on again.

If all else fails, try running Windows System Restore to a time prior to updating Skype.

If you have Win 8.1 installed, right click the Start button and go to "System". In the menu which opens, click "System Protection" in the left hand menu. Next, click the "System Restore" button and then follow tthe prompts.

If you have Windows 7, follow instructions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/restore-system-files-and-settings

I've just installed the latest version myself and note that this time during the installation process, it tries to hijack your home page and set it to MSN, so make sure you remove the checkmark before clicking "Next".

Thanks BB1950 - did the appdata thing twice, but without success. Renamed the folder Skype-old. Reinstalled and it created a new folder, and then it went through the installation steps, launched the program and then came to a shuddering halt in the manner described above. Thanks for the link to the old versions - will give it another day of messing around before I take that option.

Xircal - Win 7. Done the reboot. Nada. Will go the system restore route after Tuesday, when I next need Skype. Yeah,nthey do try to hijack yr homepage, and also get you to use bing as yr search engine. Another thing - I forget how this happened, but when I uninstalled and then went to get a new download, I was directed to a site and got it, then as I began to install, I noticed it was a Baidu production, complete with hao123 in the package. No way Jose. I got stuck with hao123 once before (embedded in a scrabble program), and it took over and messed up a lot of things before I found a way to get rid of it.

I found this, It may help.

It appears that for some reason, the latest Skype 7.0 version cannot run on computers with Gigabyte motherboard (GBTUACPI).In all previous cases with the same error message as yours, Skype was installed on a computer with this specification..

System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: GBTUACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Uninstall the 7.0 version and install the previous Skype 6.21.0.104 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.21.0.10​4.msi

ref: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-stopped-working/m-p/3814273

Xircal - Win 7. Done the reboot. Nada. Will go the system restore route after Tuesday, when I next need Skype. Yeah,nthey do try to hijack yr homepage, and also get you to use bing as yr search engine. Another thing - I forget how this happened, but when I uninstalled and then went to get a new download, I was directed to a site and got it, then as I began to install, I noticed it was a Baidu production, complete with hao123 in the package. No way Jose. I got stuck with hao123 once before (embedded in a scrabble program), and it took over and messed up a lot of things before I found a way to get rid of it.

Some suggestions on their tech support page which might help: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA164/i-have-a-problem-downloading-skype

Thanks for all your help - it is much appreciated. I went to download.skype.com and tried to download version 6, but for some reason it would not load (same thing happened at oldversion.com - an interesting site to bookmark). So I tried version 5 and all is well with my world until the next problem. :)

(Have turned off automatic updates, btw)

Best,

Wit.

Does your event log (applications) show anything of interest when trued to load skype and the crash occurred?

Not sure if its been mentioned but you may want to try system file checker

at an elevated CMD prompt

type sfc /scannow

let the process and reboot.. then try the install..

Does your event log (applications) show anything of interest when trued to load skype and the crash occurred?

type sfc /scannow

No it didn't show anything other than what I mentioned above. But now that I have managed to get version 5 back on my laptop, I'm quite happy to stick with it - and why not, it works! :) What more can a man ask for? Thanks for your advice. All the best.

• Like 1

type sfc /scannow

No it didn't show anything other than what I mentioned above. But now that I have managed to get version 5 back on my laptop, I'm quite happy to stick with it - and why not, it works! smile.png What more can a man ask for? Thanks for your advice. All the best.

Glad you got a working install..

it may be worth remembering in the future.: recently skype have launch Skype for web.

http://blogs.skype.com/2014/11/14/please-welcome-skype-for-web-beta/

Early last December I installed Skype on my laptop. I have been using Win8 (not 8.1),IE10,Outlook.com for the last 6 months. My Outlook contact list was a subset of my Hotmail a/c.

Upon installing Skype I discovered that profile names, addresses and images all got mixed up. After uninstalling Skype, and manually deleting all folders/files so named I still have Outlook.com referring me to Skype contacts. I would like to use Skype for it's obvious advantages with international contacts but am reluctant to re-install it for fear of further agro.

Anyone suggest something positive? No I do not want to upgrade to Win 8.1.