Handling and wheel size

eastbay

Thinking about buying a bike. I've got two in the states, a VFR 800 and DR 650, and spend a lot of time commuting, touring, sport riding, and track days.

But here I'm considering a smaller, more around town bike. I'm working so much I won't have time to do much or any touring, and a small bike seems easier for day to day trips around Rayong.

My question is, if I enjoy going around corners (even at intersections) and getting good lean angles, dragging foot pegs, etc., am I better off with an MSX (small, fatter wheel and tire) or a Wave (larger wheel diameter, skinnier tire), or something in between like a PCX?

I would tend to thing that the bigger, narrower wheel would be more fun in this weight and engine size, but the MSX is so popular, maybe it would be more fun.

Can someone who's ridden both give me the benefit of their opinion?

Standard disclaimers of course regarding visibility, safety, etc, and that I really shouldn't be going fast through intersections, sand on the road, I know I know- I've lived through years of splitting lanes in Bay Area traffic so I'm not a complete dunce or maniac, but still, you have to get your fun where you can right?

Thanks for any help!

Of note, the MSX is the only one from those you listed with a clutch.

Also, even though it is an underbone, it's shaped more like a proper motorcycle.

what isclutch or no clutch o r proper body shape to do wih op quest which isonly cocerning handling and wheelsizing?

• Like 1

Also, even though it is an underbone, it's shaped more like a proper motorcycle.

what isclutch or no clutch o r proper body shape to do wih op quest which isonly cocerning handling and wheelsizing?

If you don't understand the relationship between having a clutch, having something to grip with your legs, etc. with handling and getting a little hooligan I can't explain it well enough for you to understand.

• Like 2

If you don't understand the relationship between having a clutch, having something to grip with your legs, etc. with handling and getting a little hooligan I can't explain it well enough for you to understand.

i can get as to what you say 1000 percent but no relevants to the query wich is about wheelsizing alone. an MSX (small, fatter wheel and tire) or a Wave (larger wheel diameter, skinnier tire), or something in between like a PCX? but thanks for sharing youre patronizing knowlidge

Edited by speedthrills

i can get as to what you say 1000 percent but no relevants to the query wich is about wheelsizing alone. an MSX (small, fatter wheel and tire) or a Wave (larger wheel diameter, skinnier tire), or something in between like a PCX? but thanks for sharing youre patronizing knowlidge

Wheel size will make little difference for such small bikes at such low speeds. My response was to his part of the post below, which if you would note mentions nothing about wheel size (which comes later on in his post).

My question is, if I enjoy going around corners (even at intersections) and getting good lean angles, dragging foot pegs, etc., am I better off with an MSX (small, fatter wheel and tire) or a Wave (larger wheel diameter, skinnier tire), or something in between like a PCX?

God I have reading comprehension problems today....

Edited by dave_boo
  • Like 1

Wheel size will make little difference for such small bikes at such low speeds. My response was to his part of the post below, which if you would note mentions nothing about wheel size (which comes later on in his post).

God I have reading comprehension problems today....

Yes its appearing that way but atleast you man up to youre errers.thanking you thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7pbAk

I've got an MSX-125- I'm 6'2"@190lbs so I'm definitely a gorilla on it, but it's lots of fun in a way the Wave isn't- I'd say the a Wave is more practical, though, especially for carrying stuff (or a passenger)- I enjoy the MSX way more from a pure riding perspective, though. It's no substitute for my bigger bike, but sometimes I like to keep it smaller and slower on the road.

I do like the Honda MSX but wish they made an adult size with a 300cc or 500cc.

They already have a (almost) 300cc engine from the Forza. Going with a currently available 500 would mean robbing the CB500 parts bins; I think on such a bike the lighter single cylinder would be a better option.

msx fits your bill but you have to change the tires.

a second hand 2-3 years old honda cbr250 or kawa ninja 250 for 80 k is much more better at every way plus more dynamic.

kawas new single cylnder 250 cc bikes are also cool at 120 k ish or get a new cbr300r for 50 k more.

Edited by ll2

My concern with an MSX is long term comfort.

Unless you are short, your legs might get cramps.

A used sportbike might be the better choice as mentioned.

A smaller diameter has less moment of inertia, that is why drag cars run such small wheels.

In theory an MSX should be nimbler changing direction over a larger diameter wheelset of the same weight.

I would change the tires on any bike under 300K for peace of mind.

Question answered!

Hard to see a Wave doing all (or any) of that.

Not so hard.

etc.

IMO MSX = squirrelly little monkey pit bike.

Great for riding around the office & parking lot.

Edited by papa al

Thanks for the replies.

I went to a dealer to look more closely at the options, and would have to agree that the MSX would be best suited for an around town bike, but it does look like it would be the most fun and easiest for that (with the possible exception of a Wave-like unit, but I believe I'd go MSX between the two).

But! I saw the CBR 150- which seems like a lot more bike for just a little more $$- just under 80k for the MSX, just over 80k for the CBR150.

Then! I saw the CB300 F- which looks like even more fun! That's as big as they have in stock at the dealership I was at in Rayong. CB 300 goes about 133k.

All prices are OTD, OTR, 2 year's insurance. Dealer would add 3% for using a debit card (no Thai bank account).

At the moment the Company I work for is providing a driver, so whatever bike would be just for fun, and I would lean towards the MSX or CBR 150 for that. But I have put in a proposal to the Company (Capital "C" Completely facetious) that they just give me the money and I'll drive myself around. If they accept, CB300 might be a good choice, or perhaps I'll move up even more. I'm leaning towards new instead of used due to reported issues with transfer of paperwork- I'm a green pea here and don't want no hassles.

Apologies for the thread drift- I thought that I'd update on the progress.