Special and rare monies in Thailand

Many people like to collect currency (for collective purposes... not just to collect it in the bank laugh.png ).

I am one such person. I try to collect coins and notes from every country in my travels.

I was wondering if there are any 'special' currencies or notes in Thailand that are actually more valuable?

Some examples I've noted are Silver 2B coins vs the now brown 2B coins.

Some 10B with a different picture on the back.

There are some 20B notes with a different colour, etc.

But these are quite common still.

I came across a 100B note I haven't seen before though, and haven't seen since. The picture of the man on the back is different to what I've seen (apparently the King's son?...but don't sue me if I'm wrong!).

Compared to many of you, I haven't been here long, but I was wondering if this is of any extra value?

post-191477-0-12701600-1420513923_thumb.

I remember a story a few months ago about some rare 10B coins... only 100 or so of them that were valued at a crazy amount. Something like 100,000B each... but apparently they were all found.

Are there any other currencies that are worth keeping if I find?

I would be interested in hearing your stories too!

• Like 1

I received a one baht coin in change from my 99 Baht breakfast and it didn't look right because the King's head was not in profile but face on.

Googled it and found it was the 50th Anniversary 1 Baht and worth over 500 Baht.

score.

neverdie, on 06 Jan 2015 - 11:40, said:
ATF, on 06 Jan 2015 - 10:19, said:

I received a one baht coin in change from my 99 Baht breakfast and it didn't look right because the King's head was not in profile but face on.

Googled it and found it was the 50th Anniversary 1 Baht and worth over 500 Baht.

score.

Yes five breakfasts plus 5 baht change.

• Like 1

mrtoad, on 06 Jan 2015 - 12:25, said:

No change if you go to some places

That's why I always insist on my one baht change , you'll never know what you'll get. A got a brass Razoo once.

• Like 1

There are catalogues of Thai coins on the internet. I thought I'd bookmarked them, but can't find it. A spot of googling might help, though.

A word of warning:- the values given are for mint uncirculated coins; those that have been through many hands are worth a great deal less. For example, the B.1 Jubilee coin is almost worthless (well, say B.2) in used condition.

Most of the commemorative coins issued are B.10 coins with different backs. These are minted in large numbers, and the ones you get in your change are not usually worth much.

• Like 1

Very interesting!

I have 3 or 4 of those coins... but I couldn't find them worth 500B on Google.

I did find them here:

http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coins/countries/thailand/2799549-thailand-1-baht-1996-year-2539-50th-anniversary-of-reign-of-rama-ix-june-8

For about 10B though (mint condition)!

I also have some 50th anniversary 10B coins and some 50 satangs. the satangs are worth about 2B... but the 10B coins are still only worth about 10B. May have to keep them.

As for my banknote:

http://robertsworldmoney.com/banknotedetail.php?id=4400&searchbanknote=

This guy is selling it for 12USD (About 400B) But I'm sure it's worth less... bummer. Still interesting though!

Edited by xebozone
  • Like 1

xebozone, on 06 Jan 2015 - 20:11, said:

Very interesting!

I have 3 or 4 of those coins... but I couldn't find them worth 500B on Google.

I did find them here:

http://www.catawiki.com/catalog/coins/countries/thailand/2799549-thailand-1-baht-1996-year-2539-50th-anniversary-of-reign-of-rama-ix-june-8

For about 10B though (mint condition)!

I also have some 50th anniversary 10B coins and some 50 satangs. the satangs are worth about 2B... but the 10B coins are still only worth about 10B. May have to keep them.

As for my banknote:

http://robertsworldmoney.com/banknotedetail.php?id=4400&searchbanknote=

This guy is selling it for 12USD (About 400B) But I'm sure it's worth less... bummer. Still interesting though!

Such is life. It's indeed difficult to make any money out of collecting money because you are usually buying it at the inflated price.

neverdie, on 06 Jan 2015 - 11:40, said:

score.

Yes five breakfasts plus 5 baht change.

Hey Xebozone. What an interesting thread you have opened up. The "boys" have jumped on to have a bit of ThaiVisaForum fun.

As usual I have absolutely nothing of value to offer, except that you might be very interested in the Treasury display at the Grand Palace in Bangkok. I know nothing about money, except how to hand it over to my wife; but even I found the display interesting...

Well, maybe now you have learned something new, you'll be looing more closely at what you're hanging over

to the missus and see if you have any rarities there...

• Like 1