Boot To Desktop Windows 8.1

chiangrai

I tried to set my laptop to boot to desktop by clicking

1-right click on taskbar

2-properties

3-navigetion

the chicking the relevent box.

Now when I start my computer instead of booting to the desktop it says "this password is incorrect" and I have to sign in with my microsoft account and can't sign in with my user account.

Any advice on what to do next.

It sounds like somehow your local user account sign in settings have become corrupted. Most likely the password.

Assuming when you're signed in using your Microsoft account the computer works properly.

Try this while being signed in with your Microsoft account to revert the sign in back to your local user account: .

1. Open the charms bar
  2. Click on Settings
  3. Click on change PC settings
  4. Click on Accounts
  5. Under your Microsoft account name click Disconnect
  6. Enter the Microsoft account password and click Next
  7. You should see the old local account name in the User name field and now enter the password you want to use, reenter it and add a password hint; then click next
  8. Read the blurb (take action if necessary) and then click Sign out and finish
  9. Now you should be able to sign in using your local account credentials.
  • Like 1

Thats great BB,

worked first time.

Much appreciated

So now I have 3 accounts and the password may

be corupted in one.

Is there anyway I can tidy this up.

Can I delete the USER and Windows accounts.

Or at least check the passwords in them

Right,

I tried to delete those accounts but need to try again.

I have three accounts and the passwords are working on all three.

I must figure out how to sign in as administer.

When I do,which are the best two to delete

the USERS,Local or Microsoft.

You have to sign in with an administrator account.

The first account that was created while installing Windows 8 is an administrator account. There's also a hidden account called "Administrator" that was created when installing Windows. Therefore an account name "Administrator" can't be created. The hidden Administrator account has to be enabled before it can be used.

On Windows 8, User Account management from the start screen using the new Windows 8 app which has very basic features. You have to use the traditional User Accounts desktop application from the control panel to perform additional user account management.

Watch this Video to the end, to learn more about user account management in Windows 8:

Edited by BB1950

All accounts in Windows are User Accounts.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the different types of accounts. This link will help you decide which is best for you, depending on your needs.

Edited by BB1950

All accounts in Windows are User Accounts.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the different types of accounts. This link will help you decide which is best for you, depending on your needs.

What do you think about the option to use a program like "Password Recovery Bundle"?

I had huge problems with a Gateway machine and got a nice program from a computer shop that does also many other tasks.

Couldn't the OP just use a CD with that program on it, boot from it and delete accounts he doesn't want anymore?

Just saying...facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

lostinisaan,

1. I don't recommend using 3rd party applications to make changes to the registry! Especially when it can be done using Windows itself to make the desired changes. Too many chances of messing up the registry or introducing malware. There are several other more well-known repair CD's that can do exactly the same thing as what you mentioned! Some of them are open sourced!
  2. I also don't recommend any inexperience users in messing around with the registry. The OP isn't a very technically experienced user. That's why I always find his many posts rather amusing.
  3. On a computer that the user can't gain access to, it would require another computer to download and prepare bootable media.
  4. I didn't recommend to the OP to use the Administrative Tools or 'Netplwiz' wizard built into Windows. You can just delete the accounts in a similar fashion without booting from a CD. The tools are deliberately hidden so that inexperience users can't access them. Both have a lot of control over the computer and changes can't be undone, but they are safer than what you just suggested!

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think much of it! Besides that, the OP now has it under control. It was a good learning experience for him. In the end, I think he made a wise choice for him. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1