US: Police fatally shoot man at Ohio airport amid confrontation

webfact

In US, keeping guns out of the hands of crazies and assault weapons out of the hands of criminals, gangs and extremists and teens is the realistic issue we have to deal with. We are way way beyond the option of a gun free society. Having weapons to defend ourselves is part of our pioneer heritage of defending our homes and is still deeply embedded in our psyche. The overwhelming majority of americans have very responsible attitudes towards guns. If only those french journalists had a few weapons themselves, maybe they could have had a fighting chance....

Not sure if they held guns but there were policemen guarding the offices and the editor had a bodyguard - they were killed as well in France.

In US, keeping guns out of the hands of crazies and assault weapons out of the hands of criminals, gangs and extremists and teens is the realistic issue we have to deal with. We are way way beyond the option of a gun free society. Having weapons to defend ourselves is part of our pioneer heritage of defending our homes and is still deeply embedded in our psyche. The overwhelming majority of americans have very responsible attitudes towards guns. If only those french journalists had a few weapons themselves, maybe they could have had a fighting chance....

Not sure if they held guns but there were policemen guarding the offices and the editor had a bodyguard - they were killed as well in France.

It was reported earlier (somewhere) the police were NOT armed. Thus the victims had no defense.

Why do they need to shoot him so many times? trigger happy society !

What a brainless statement this is. You have absolutely no idea what the exact situation was or how you would feel in the same situation or how you would react. You must actually think the US is filled with people who look for any reason to shoot others.

No, i am not sure how i would feel in the same situation, but i know if you shoot a man in the leg he will slow down considerably. I know that Japan has under 10 gun-related deaths each year and USA has over 10,000. Do I think the US is filled with people who look for any reason to shoot others., From the comments on this post, Yes,I do !

"Trigger happy society"??? "After the first shots were fired, the man got back up and headed back toward the terminal, at which point a second airport officer shot him." Maybe the police should have just shot his feet or shot both of his big toes off so he couldn't walk or run back into the terminal. Where do you people come from? OMG!

Yes, over 10,000 gun-related deaths per year in USA, less than 40 in the UK. Why not shoot in the legs ? You want death so much ?

"Trigger happy society"??? "After the first shots were fired, the man got back up and headed back toward the terminal, at which point a second airport officer shot him." Maybe the police should have just shot his feet or shot both of his big toes off so he couldn't walk or run back into the terminal. Where do you people come from? OMG!

Yes, over 10,000 gun-related deaths per year in USA, less than 40 in the UK. Why not shoot in the legs ? You want death so much ?

From this post and the other, it appears you are a bit ignorant of what it is actually like in the U.S. Perhaps you have been watching too many movies.

• Like 1

Bad argument... You can't compare a country where guns are illegal with one where they are and try to conclude that those countries are more violent because of gun ownership. The issue is incidents/rates of violent crime relative to population and social conditions contributing to it...US is about average, see "List of countries by intentional homicide rate"

I am not a gun advocate and have never owned a gun but in situations of great risk or threat I would want the option to defend myself...Of course, the problem is how capable people are in evaluating real from imagined threats which is the crux of this incident. Was the threat for the cops real/immediate or imagined/misread?

If a man was trying to kill me I would shoot for the biggest target and that would be his chest. The USA is a big country and UK is a little country not good to compare raw totals besides you haven't separated the good guys from the bad guys. Take yesterday in France for example. Did you think the guys killing people with AK-47's should be shot in the legs or killed? Actually the leg thing is a pretty weak argument as there are arteries in the legs and one could die quickly if they were hit.

• Like 2