Thai Commerce to cut prices of consumer products

webfact

Commerce to cut prices of consumer products

7345-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 40 items of consumer products will come under price revision to reflect actual costs after the government has cut retail oil prices several times but prices of these products remained unchanged.

Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya said that he has ordered the Internal Trade Department to speed up its study on real cost of consumer goods, especially the 43 items under the price control list, in the light of the lowering oil prices.

He advised them that the report should be completed by the end of this month.

Gen Chatchai said the ministry will cut prices of these goods if it is found that their production cost is lower.

According to the minister, in studying production cost of consumer products, the Internal Trade Department will look into oil price and their labour and raw material costs.

Gen Chatchai said the department has already discussed with local retailers about its planned cut of goods prices.

The department has also instructed retailers to attach price tag to some 200 products with volatile price, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-cut-prices-consumer-products

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-08

• Like 1

A market only works if it is actually free. The reason that regulators interfere is that most markets are not free they are effectively monopolies with a few fronts... when prices of oil go down; the savings should be passed on to consumers. But why bother? They're used to paying higher prices - so milk them a bit more. It's not like they have an alternative supply line is it?

People who believe in the fairness of markets must believe in the tooth fairy and Father Christmas as they are both as likely to exist as a fair market in this world.

I bet the price of beer does not go down

Yes, who cares about the prices of food, fuel, electricity, water or clothing, when we have the important beer prices as measurement for a happy society??

Lord have mercy..............................coffee1.gif

Bringing prices down is a very difficult task,they

rise very easily,the manufacturers think the public

are buying my product at xx,why should i lower the

price even though the costs of production,delivery

have all fallen.

regards worgeordie

What i personally wunder is this: is the producer of these items making the biggest profit or are the shops making the biggest profit ?

I would suggest that perhaps the government take a look at and perhaps try to find a way to increase competition.

If it's the retailers then more big discount retailers are required perhaps someday a Lidl, Aldi, Wall mart could open in Thailand if this

is not the problem and it's the producers who have a very great profit margin then more competition is required in that certain area.

Perhaps (and this is only my personally opinion) the government could do a better job by making it easier for foreign competitors

to be active on the thai market. When prices of certain items are high and keep rising one should not fight the symptoms (by trying to lower the prices of these items directly)

but one should take the root cause of the problem namely a lack of competition in that certain area of the market. The government can

make a huge difference but i'm not sure by lowering the prices directly this is the way of doing things on the long run but on the other hand who i'm a to say something,

after all i'm just a normal citizen not a policy maker it's easy to come up with ideas(the citizens part) but it's harder to implement them and keep everybody happy

at the end of the ride(the policy makers part).

Why is the Junta claiming the accolades for the cut in oil prices, the had nothing to do with it. It is a global thing, do they really think people are that stupid?

Not only YES. Also, the people are that stupid and probably ignorant of world affairs also.

When will they ever learn??

Let the market decide the prices without government interventions!!

Only patch-work anyway!!

Just look at Singapore and Hong Kong what detrimental effect that would have on lower household incomes.

post-226746-0-04083500-1420719142_thumb.

Welcome to Hong Kong. Have a seat! Or better yet, sit on the floor in front of my cage.

Edited by Impossible
  • Like 1