Frozen lobster

JohnC

I have seen small frozen lobster in Foodland, are they cleaned ready to eat? I saw a post some time ago that said "nuke them " for a couple of minutes? So do I re-poach them and serve them whole or do I have to open them and clean them?

When I've seen them, there's been two types sold - whole (coked) and tail only (cooked). I have not seen it "canned" but to be fair, I've never intentionally looked for it either.

So, ether way, they way I saw them, you'd have to re-poach/re-steam them from frozen.

I have seen frozen UNcooked whole and UNcooked tails, but only at Gourmet market - Paragon and the now-closed K Village.

They have frozen Canadian lobster in Foodland, they are red which means they have been cooked.

Just defrost them and slice them in half from head to tail and eat cold with dressing.

They are very good.

• Like 1

The best tasting lobsters come from cold waters (not only the U.S.).

Absolutely. As far as I know the same applies to all fish; if it lives in cold water it will have more flavour and better texture than the same type of fish from warm water.

thailandusauk, on 09 Jan 2015 - 04:45, said:

I guess lobsters just as all seafood is always better from USA or Carribeans ?

Where did you see the tail and not full body ?

Thank you.

The lobster tails are from Rock Lobsters. Those brown things that have a triangular shape. They're not bad but no comparison to Atlantic Lobster.

Absolutely. As far as I know the same applies to all fish; if it lives in cold water it will have more flavour and better texture than the same type of fish from warm water.

Not necessarily - You will never find Marlin Mahi Mahi or Ono from cold water! But Lobster definitely better in cold water.

Let them defrost slowly in the fridge then take them out 5 mins before you want them & grill them on the bbq with lashings of garlic butter while still in the half shell.

They are cooked so don't over do it or they toughen.

Commercial places often par-poach then chill & hold them ready to grill like that.

A chilled white burgundy would go a treat with that & some crusty bread to soak up the nutty garlic butter

Not necessarily - You will never find Marlin Mahi Mahi or Ono from cold water! But Lobster definitely better in cold water.

That's why I wrote "if it lives in cold water".

That's why I wrote "if it lives in cold water".

The Lobster yes best from cold waters but try telling the best fish part to someone from Hawaii. The water is all warm even the cool water is warm & the fish are superb. Come to think of it Hawaiian Lobsters kick ass but are clawless. I would rather have a Maine Lobster in the U.S. by choice though mainly cause it has claws to chow!

Beardog, on 09 Jan 2015 - 22:41, said:

The Lobster yes best from cold waters but try telling the best fish part to someone from Hawaii. The water is all warm even the cool water is warm & the fish are superb. Come to think of it Hawaiian Lobsters kick ass but are clawless. I would rather have a Maine Lobster in the U.S. by choice though mainly cause it has claws to chow!

They are not lobsters they are saltwater crayfish. They are sold in Thailand as Phuket Lobsters. They are a waste of money. Hardly any meat.

I bought a frozen Canadian lobster from Foodland about 2 years ago. It was terrible, very watery. Don't know if I had bad luck, maybe I got one that had been thawed and re-frozen a few times or something. Never bought another one to find out!.

With all the fresh lobster in markets, why in the world would someone want to purchase old frozen lobster from the supermarket??? Go to a seafood restaurant, pick the ones you want and let them take care of it for you and the misses.

With all the fresh lobster in markets, why in the world would someone want to purchase old frozen lobster from the supermarket???

Because, as mentioned, the fresh "lobster" that is sold here isn't actually lobster. It's rock lobster. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the same thing.

Personally I eat the fresh local variety. If I was in Maine or Canada I would eat the local fresh sort there.

Thank you.

Oh pure heresy 5555

Of course North atlantic seafood is the best in the world

Dublin bay prawns, langoustines and Lobsters from around Scotland, the hebrides, the Orkneys, Shetland have no competition in my opinion and yes they are all from cold water.

The nearest lobster to compare with a lobster from the north of the UK comes described as a Maine lobster fished from the north of North America and is excellent but slightly different in taste to a lobby from the North of the UK, never the less fantastic and fantastic were the days when one could afford to eat them

Thank you.

Oh pure heresy 5555

Of course North atlantic seafood is the best in the world

Dublin bay prawns, langoustines and Lobsters from around Scotland, the hebrides, the Orkneys, Shetland have no competition in my opinion and yes they are all from cold water.

The nearest lobster to compare with a lobster from the north of the UK comes described as a Maine lobster fished from the north of North America and is excellent but slightly different in taste to a lobby from the North of the UK, never the less fantastic and fantastic were the days when one could afford to eat them

I was in the states visiting family last February. Went to my favorite seafood restaurant at the beach and bought two lobsters for $20.

They were superbly steamed and served with melted butter......no garlic.

With all the fresh lobster in markets, why in the world would someone want to purchase old frozen lobster from the supermarket???

Because, as mentioned, the fresh "lobster" that is sold here isn't actually lobster. It's rock lobster. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not the same thing.

Personally I eat the fresh local variety. If I was in Maine or Canada I would eat the local fresh sort there.

The creatures sold here on local markets are most certainly lobsters. Spiny, slipper and painted lobsters are all native to these local waters and readily found in abundance. They are great eating and anybody who would rather eat frozen crap vs fresh, needs to have their head examined. Just joking OP

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster

Edited by 2fishin2

2fishin2, on 10 Jan 2015 - 23:37, said:
KittenKong, on 10 Jan 2015 - 20:08, said:
2fishin2, on 10 Jan 2015 - 17:48, said:

The creatures sold here on local markets are most certainly lobsters. Spiny, slipper and painted lobsters are all native to these local waters and readily found in abundance. They are great eating and anybody who would rather eat frozen crap vs fresh, needs to have their head examined. Just joking OP

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster

You should read past the first couple of lines in your article. They are not true lobsters.

"Although they superficially resemble true lobsters in terms of overall shape and having a hard carapace and exoskeleton, the two groups are not closely related. Spiny lobsters can be easily distinguished from true lobsters by their very long, thick, spiny antennae, by the lack of chelae (claws) on the first four pairs of walking legs, although the females of most species have a small claw on the fifth pair,[6] and by a particularly specialized larval phase called phyllosoma. True lobsters have much smaller antennae and claws on the first three pairs of legs, with the first being particularly enlarged."

• Like 1

The creatures sold here on local markets are most certainly lobsters. Spiny, slipper and painted lobsters are all native to these local waters and readily found in abundance.

The local ones I have seen here are not real lobsters. Maybe the markets are different where you are.

post-198680-14209384737826_thumb.jpgpost-198680-14209384922262_thumb.jpgpost-198680-14209385122154_thumb.jpgpost-198680-14209385271297_thumb.jpg

Slipper lobster

Spiny lobster

Painted lobster

Lobster

If i didnt tell you what each variety was and served them to you, you couldnt tell the difference. Although the first three by definition and letter of the TV know-it-alls are not true lobsters, they are commonly referred to by the world as lobsters. They are consumed in massive quantities all over the world, more so than true lobsters. In essence, they are lobsters.

This crap about proper wording, spelling etc by people who have nothing better to do than pick childish fights is boring. Most of it by people who dont know anything about the subject at hand.

Better yet, get Jumbo Prawns, even at 650 Baht a Kilo or so .. cheaper and better than the over priced Lobster in LOS...and BBQ them or cook them yourself..in the shell

Nova Scotia has the lobstertongue.png , not the Thai women..whistling.gif

1 out of 2 is no good

• Like 1

True lobsters belong to the order Astacidea while spiny and slipper lobsters belong to the order Achelata, they have about as much in common with true lobsters as prawns and shrimps. In fact a crab is more closely related to a true lobster.

• Like 1

Here are some Hawaiian Lobsters. This was an extremely poor night for hunting. Usually fill the boat with 3 plastic containers. The tall guy missing teeth is the real catchmaster of Bugs But I nailed 14 & they are super Tasty.(These are spineys) The other Photo is from Waliking Street King restaurant & is also a Spiney. Slippers are Garbage to most. I would much rather have crawdads over slippers. The taste is just lacking.

As Far as Lobsters go For as often as you eat them better to get it fresh & cook it yourself. Macro once in a while carries warm water I am pretty sure Australian. Now I am hungry for Lobster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-32440-0-61744200-1420942536_thumb.j

post-32440-0-02115500-1420942587_thumb.j

• Like 1

Slipper lobster

Spiny lobster

Painted lobster

Lobster

If i didnt tell you what each variety was and served them to you, you couldnt tell the difference. Although the first three by definition and letter of the TV know-it-alls are not true lobsters, they are commonly referred to by the world as lobsters. They are consumed in massive quantities all over the world, more so than true lobsters. In essence, they are lobsters.

These are all lobsters in the same way that rock lobsters are lobsters. I eat those too, but I dont call them something they are not.

Edited by KittenKong