Mae Sai...........

bangmai

Immigration is open until 9 now, and it may be Midnight before the year ends. I crossed at 7pm on a Saturday evening, there was no one else around. Very nice Immigration Officer, told me "sometime" on using 10 USD to enter Myanmar.....when I entered Myanmar, they were friendlier than usual, and said 500 thb, I asked if the 10 usd would work, and they said OK. I did indicate that I would be shopping there, as opposed to getting out of their dirty city, ASAP. No more temp passports over there...they stamp you, and you go.

My experience in late November was the same. They willingly accepted a $20 bill and gave me a crisp $10 back as change.

The whole procedure of entering Tachilek is much easier and faster than it used to be. Not only that, the immigration officers - both Thai and Burmese - seem to have received some lessons in basic courtesy, The surliness that was so common before is rarely encountered now, at least by me and the others I've talked to recently.

My experience in late November was the same. They willingly accepted a $20 bill and gave me a crisp $10 back as change.

The whole procedure of entering Tachilek is much easier and faster than it used to be. Not only that, the immigration officers - both Thai and Burmese - seem to have received some lessons in basic courtesy, The surliness that was so common before is rarely encountered now, at least by me and the others I've talked to recently.

My impressions, too. I wonder how the rules have affected the number of farang going through. Maybe they are happy not dealing with so many trashpackers.

It's way less busy then a few month's ago at the border crossing, I have heard they are developing a lot of resorts, bars and restaurants just of the market at he main road,has anybody stayed there?

Edited by kalbo123

I've been across to Tachileik several times over the past few months. The Myanmar side is always very friendly and welcoming and they stamp your passport with both entry and exit stamps at the same time even if you are going to spend the day in Tachileik for business or shopping or sightseeing. When you leave Myanmar you just walk out over the bridge to the Thai side without any immigration check - only once I have been stopped - very courteously - by a Myanmar immigration official who just happened to be outside and he very briefly checked the stamps in the passport. If you don't want to do (or can't do) an official exit from and entry back into Thailand - you can just get a temporary pass at the Thai immigration - and use that to enter Myanmar - but you still have to pay the $10 or 500 baht at the Myanmar immigration

So you could save the 1000 thb on the re-entry permit, and avoid the extra stamps?