Weekends and holidays in Thailand but work elsewhere - what Visa and restrictions apply?

If I were to take a job in Singapore - all bona fide with a work permit, employment contract and salary paid into a Singapore bank account ... but retain my apartment in Bangkok, returning each weekend and perhaps quietly 'work from home' on a Friday or Monday and also spend any vacation time in Thailand, what sort of Visa would I require and what restrictions would I need to face?

To be clear this isn't a tax question or related - my income would be completely outside Thailand; the job requires extensive travel so the maximum length of time I would ever be in Thailand would be 2 weeks, and the maximum number of days I would be in Thailand for any rolling 12-month period would be 150 days and probably quite a lot less.

I haven't been able to find this exact question although I am sure this is a very common arrangement.

Thanks in advance for anyone able to give me the answer.

A visa exempt entry would be fine, presuming your nationality qualifies for one.

At sometime they might ask you for your purpose, in which case you can show them that you are working in Singapore. That should resolve any issues, should they arrise.

A visa exempt entry would be fine, presuming your nationality qualifies for one.

At sometime they might ask you for your purpose, in which case you can show them that you are working in Singapore. That should resolve any issues, should they arrise.

Beware though. I do a very similar thing but perhaps with much longer periods outside Thailand and I was told by immigration officer at Don Muang that I would not be allowed to enter on visa exemption next time. Twice given contradicting information by immigration at Swampy who say I am fine and have now entered twice at Swampy since being warned. I now try to avoid Don Muang as much as possible.

I am in a similar situation. I live and work in Lao but visit my wife in Thailand most weekends. I have a work permit and stay permit for Lao and for the last 4 years have had no issue at the Thai border at Mukdahan until last weekend. (Entry stamp for 15 days)

Normally I will travel to Mukdahan on a saturday evening and return to lao early on a Monday morning for work.

Last saturday when I reached the Thai border my passport locked the computer and I was advised I had exceeded my 90 days a year and would need to apply for a tourist visa the next time I entered the country. Long story short, because I am a regular visitor through this border I won't have an issue at Mukdahan as one of the immigration officers placed some sort of note on the computer however when I told them that I was travelling home (NZ) next week for a short holiday I was advised by them that when I return to Swampy I would probably be denied entry without a visa in my passport. Alternatively I could get a new passport which would effectively "reset" the 90 days.

I will look at my long term visa options once I return but any suggestions/comments about this issue would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I am in a similar situation. I live and work in Lao but visit my wife in Thailand most weekends. I have a work permit and stay permit for Lao and for the last 4 years have had no issue at the Thai border at Mukdahan until last weekend. (Entry stamp for 15 days)

Normally I will travel to Mukdahan on a saturday evening and return to lao early on a Monday morning for work.

Last saturday when I reached the Thai border my passport locked the computer and I was advised I had exceeded my 90 days a year and would need to apply for a tourist visa the next time I entered the country. Long story short, because I am a regular visitor through this border I won't have an issue at Mukdahan as one of the immigration officers placed some sort of note on the computer however when I told them that I was travelling home (NZ) next week for a short holiday I was advised by them that when I return to Swampy I would probably be denied entry without a visa in my passport. Alternatively I could get a new passport which would effectively "reset" the 90 days.

I will look at my long term visa options once I return but any suggestions/comments about this issue would be appreciated.

This is identical to what happened to me at Don Muang. I too was also told that the restriction would last for the life of my passport.

Initially there was widespread disbelief on TV that this had happened which probably prompted a few private communications confirming that this has also happened to other people. Without disclosing confidences, one guy has planned to forget about Thailand and visit other countries as a result of his experience. Another couple who have invested in a condo here are really scared they won't be allowed in to stay at their condo.

I have entered twice at Swampy since the incident with no problems. Also have twice checked with immigration officers at Swampy before leaving and been told that I am doing nothing wrong.

People should be made aware that the "no problem" attitude to visa exempt entries can sometimes come crashing down sometimes with life changing consequences.

Before the caterwauling starts - yes I know the solution is to get a visa but is it really practical for the OP to apply for a tourist visa every week?

There is no rule that limits the number of days you can stay in the country or the number of visa exempt entries you can do in any amount of time.

The only way they can deny entry is under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denial is for lack of financial proof. Having at least 10k baht in cash would be enough to overcome that. The 2nd most common is that they suspect you are working here. Showing proof of income from outside the country would overcome that.

There is no rule that limits the number of days you can stay in the country or the number of visa exempt entries you can do in any amount of time.

The only way they can deny entry is under section 12 of the immigration act. The most common denial is for lack of financial proof. Having at least 10k baht in cash would be enough to overcome that. The 2nd most common is that they suspect you are working here. Showing proof of income from outside the country would overcome that.

How do you suggest that one approaches an immigration officer that most definitely insists that there is such a rule and has the ability to deny you entry with no avenue for appeal?

@MarkC,sounds like you are based in Savannakhet, which is home to a Thai consulate. If your wife is Thai then you should be able to get a 1-year multiple entry non-O based on marriage to a Thai national. Each entry is for up to 90 days at a time and you won't have any issues with coming and going. An alternative would be to get a non-B multiple entry in new Zealand if you qualify or a non-O over there.

How do you suggest that one approaches an immigration officer that most definitely insists that there is such a rule and has the ability to deny you entry with no avenue for appeal?

You have to remember that it would not be the officer at the desk that does the denial. It takes paperwork and a higher ranking officer,

There have been other reports of people being reports of 6 exempt entries being the max and the 90 days but no reports of anybody being denied entry for that reason.

It looks more like they use the old software with regards to 90 days in a halfyear to flag people suspected of working in Thailand. It is probably only meant to flag people for further investigation, but not that a person can't enter for more than 90 days in a given period.

Showing that one is not working should be enough.

You have to remember that it would not be the officer at the desk that does the denial. It takes paperwork and a higher ranking officer,

There have been other reports of people being reports of 6 exempt entries being the max and the 90 days but no reports of anybody being denied entry for that reason.

In my case the officer at the desk (who could not speak English) referred me to a higher ranking officer and it was in fact her who insisted that there were "new" rules.

I take your point about no reports of being denied entry which sort of agrees with the tacit advice from the immigration officers at swampy that one should "have confidence" in such a situation.

Any advice on what they would accept as proof of income outside the country?

I do not have a contract of employment but:

1) could perhaps get a letter from the organisation that I contract to stating the total amount of payments they have made to me over the past year.

2) could carry a copy of my overseas bank statement showing deposits into my account

The absolute best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers coming in from outside the country. They would be shown as a FTT (foregin telex transfer) transaction at most banks. They would understand that better than anything else.

The absolute best proof would be a Thai bank book showing transfers coming in from outside the country. They would be shown as a FTT (foregin telex transfer) transaction at most banks. They would understand that better than anything else.

Except of course most banks insist that you cannot open a bank account unless you have a work permit! Sort of defeats the purpose.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yep , I did it for 5 years coming from Malaysia , got asked why I was coming and going so much only once

Except of course most banks insist that you cannot open a bank account unless you have a work permit! Sort of defeats the purpose.

You just have to try different banks and different branches. I don't have a work permit and have 3 bank accounts.

This page on Bangkok bank's website may help (click documents required).

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

You just have to try different banks and different branches. I don't have a work permit and have 3 bank accounts.

This page on Bangkok bank's website may help (click documents required).

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Thanks for that. I'd sort of given up after being told by lots of people and refused by a couple of banks. Banks are probably aware of the rules but everyone is too shy to speak English so easier to simply say they cannot do?