baggage allowance flying from BKK

1happykamper

i will be travelling from Mexico city, via Tucso, via LAX and then on to Bangkok.. all flight segmanys/airlines allow me to take 2 suitcases with a max weight of 50# each. My luggae will meet this rule.

However.. the very last segment, not yet booked,,,,seems to be a proble..travel within Thailand. If I am reading the airlines rules correctly I am allowed only 44# for all my suitcasses!! At $7 a kg charge extra.. the number comes to over $200!!!

Am I missing something? The train seems so much of a hassle... from the airport to the station etc etc. Thoughts please... Cheers.

North American airlines can have much higher luggage allowances than are commonly found in many other parts of the world. Unless your domestic flight tickets are part of an international itinerary then don't expect to get the same in Thailand even if traveling by train or driving is inconvenient for you.

Huh? You expect domestic air travel to have a free baggage allowance of over 20 kg? Is this your first time on an airplane?

Always smart assess on this site. Don't waste my time.. Play somewhere else

Kaalle made a fair point. Carry in excess of 20kg per passenger and you'll pay for it on domestic Thai flights.

Have you considered sending your baggage ahead?

• Like 1

No problem if all segments of your trip are on the same PNR#, your longest segment will prevail.

Otherwise Air Asia, Nok Thai Smile allow extra luggage to be purchased online at reasonable cost, usually up to 40kgs. +10 kgs if you book business class ticket (if available) Bangkok Airways allow 30kgs if you register to their FF program

If you pre-book excess baggage it is far cheaper, will you have to handle your own bags at Bangkok or transferred through ?

Oh and what airline are you looking at for you final leg ?

Edited by ExPratt

Flyin on US routes the allowance is normally higher, I think 2x 22KG check in, US very strict on manual handling regs of luggage. I get 50kg allowance on my flights out of BKK with Etihad

However, when getting onto a Domestic I've sometimes have to pay a surcharge, even with my FF status on Bangkok Airways, but it's very minimal 50 baht per KG or something like that

What I do when carrying a lot of weight in my luggage from overseas, is post most of it to my home in Isaan from Bangkok. I always spend a couple of days in Bangkok anyway. Sometimes it gets there before me. The postal charge might be ฿200, not $200.

Edited by Issangeorge
  • Like 1

I would consider using Thai ( TG ) or Bangkok Air ( PG ) from Bangkok Airport ( BKK ).

I would use the one that has code share or Alliance with the Airline you arrive from oversea.

At Check-In in BKK show your previous boarding pass from an International flight and" they may" let you fly to Chiangmai without problems.

I did that a few months ago ( October ) and Bangkok Air did not charge excess baggage . I flew from Canada economy with 2 bags at 23 kilos each .

They only asked me to see my boarding passes from Canada and Japan and the check-in agent took note of the details .

I guess the Thai Air and Bangkok Air have some way to accommodate passengers coming from oversea with international baggage allocation.

• Like 1