My bf got 90 days extension at BKK IMM.- ED visa

Thumbs up ! No one who actually studies should have any worries.

I disagree as I know several people who have attended their classes, learned some Thai, and still got 2 months. I know only one guy who got 3 months and his Thai is incredible.

Having talked to several students who have done extensions in the past month or two and done one myself, here is how things appear to work:

• Most ED extension applications are processed by one immigration officer (the same described by OP, shortish hair, middle aged woman)
  • The exact 'test' (it is very informal) that this IO administers varies a bit from applicant to applicant -- I would characterize it as testing for reasonably sophisticated listening comprehension, speaking and writing of Thai (including writing words or sentences). The amount of time the applicant has spent studying Thai doesn't seem to have much influence on the content of the test, and the curriculum of the school has no influence on the test because Immigration doesn't know what's in that curriculum.
  • Regardless of the extension length given the IO will sometimes tell the applicant that there's a specific thing they need to improve on by the next 'test.' They also write a few lines on the application form in Thai describing the student's language proficiency.

The obvious problem with this situation which seems to be affecting a lot of people is that if you're a fairly new student who's been studying only 4 hours a week until the recent change, you probably can't read and write much Thai because your classes are still focused on alphabet recognition and basic syntax, not word recognition and sentence construction. It may also be a stretch to satisfy the officer in conversation because your vocab will still be pretty limited.

I would have less sympathy for anyone who's been studying for longer, but for those who've been studying four hours a week for less than a year, the test seems too hard. It may be appropriate a year from now once everyone's been doing the 8 hour curriculum for a while, but new, expanded lessons aren't available at all schools yet -- hell I've heard some haven't even announced a switch to 8 hours.

If you're lucky to have a Thai gf who's coaching you every day or something, you'll obviously learn a lot faster.

The point is that there's a mismatch between what's tested and what's taught. Immigration is testing many students on things that the school isn't teach them until later in the course.

What's weird to me is that Immigration doesn't seem to grasp this disconnect. They're not stupid and they seem like decent people, some are very friendly. But I know a guy who went in for his first extension and was asked to write several sentences in Thai. There's no way anyone studying the curriculum at one of these schools would be able to do that after 90 days (MAYBE you could if you were taking a really good intensive course). He got 2 months.

You could argue that the Ministry of Education hasn't been strict enough with monitoring student progress, and that their test is too easy. But wait a minute... they're the Ministry of freakin' Education! Why would some other government department be in a better position to oversee the standards than the one which actually reviews and approves every school's curriculum?

Immigration may have good intent, but if they keep this up it'll result in a lot of genuine students dropping off of the visa.

Edited by itsuptome
  • Like 1

I think I know your BF as I go to Sandee every week

He came TWICE , the first lesson when he enrolled and yes it was very easy for him as he has YOU as personal trainer. He was quite bored.

And I saw him again when Sandee called us to attend because immigration was checking.

I have been going every week to Sandee and NO your BF was not there. I was on my own with the teacher

I am nowhere near you BF level and I will get probably 60 days or less and I find it disgusting and wrong that having a Thai partner is what makes the difference and set level for immigration and going to school has nothing to do with it bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

• Like 1

Honestly, I would like to say that my bf 100% can't understand English, the teacher teach in english so my bf can't understang the lesson. The best thing that I can do for him is to go to the school and ask for the sheet lesson.

After that I teach him follow the lesson like a personal tutor. he can understand everything in Thai not in English. You know that the school always sent the lesson for you to your email.

I think I know your BF as I go to Sandee every week

He came TWICE , the first lesson when he enrolled and yes it was very easy for him as he has YOU as personal trainer. He was quite bored.

And I saw him again when Sandee called us to attend because immigration was checking.

I have been going every week to Sandee and NO your BF was not there. I was on my own with the teacher

I am nowhere near you BF level and I will get probably 60 days or less and I find it disgusting and wrong that having a Thai partner is what makes the difference and set level for immigration and going to school has nothing to do with it bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

So you're saying he hasn't been doing the required study hours for an ED visa & only came to class twice? That means your school fakes the attendance records of students for the immigration paperwork?

i got from this:

you better get a full time coach (thai partner) if you want to pass the test

don't need to go to school

sad.png

That's the reason why schools are empty.

Not all schools. My classes have always been chocked full of students every time I have class. But then again I don't go to a cheap visa mill school.

After that she asked to recite Thai alphabets, yes he can do but only 6-7 alphabets haha. She asked my bf to write school name in Thai language. Yes he can do. Although he wrote it down very slow. It seems like the lady just want to test that he studies Thai and then she wrote on the paper 90 days good speaking, and writing. Before we went to step 2, she said its okay if you study Thai language, not just have ED visa but do somethingeles. After one year you can dod it again but need to improve.

So they ask you to recite the alphabet in the exact correct order? Our school doesn't teach like that but the teach us to learn the letters of the alphabet by the consonant classes each lesson. Eg. Mid tone consonants for one class, etc.

Thumbs up ! No one who actually studies should have any worries.

I disagree as I know several people who have attended their classes, learned some Thai, and still got 2 months. I know only one guy who got 3 months and his Thai is incredible.

Same with other students in my school & they do know their Thai well & can easily pass the immigration test. Maybe the lesson here is bring your Thai GF with you if you want to have a chance of getting a 3 month extension rather than a 2 month extension only. She can help sweet talk them for you if needed haha tongue.png

Edited by bbi1

i got from this:

sad.png

Not all schools. My classes have always been chocked full of students every time I have class. But then again I don't go to a cheap visa mill school.

Which school? It is really academically rigorous? I know the classes at Chula are....they meet for 3 hours, 5 days a week.

i got from this:

sad.png

What's the name of your school?

Which school? It is really academically rigorous? I know the classes at Chula are....they meet for 3 hours, 5 days a week.

Chula students don't need extension every 3 months

Chula students don't need extension every 3 months

Thats because they only get Visas that roughly correlate to the time frame of the course they registered for (6 week blocks)

Back when I was attending a private school, I would sometimes hire a private tutor to help me understand the class material outside of class time if I was having trouble understanding what the teacher was talking about during class. There is nothing the matter in doing what the OP and her BF are doing and they are to be commended for making a real effort for him to learn Thai. The other students who don't have a live-in tutor always have the option of hiring one.

It's the responsibility of the students to learn Thai and doing homework using various study tools, including the services of a private tutor is the responsibility of the student. You can't be expected to learn a subject simply by investing only the hours you spend in the classroom.

i got from this:

sad.png

Language Express. No it's not "academically rigorous" like Chula or as time & money intensive like them. It's just a normal language school which seems to be ok for real students (not fake ED visa "students") who actually want to learn some Thai from decent Thai teachers. At least that's my opinion.

Language Express. No it's not "academically rigorous" like Chula or as time & money intensive like them. It's just a normal language school which seems to be ok for real students (not fake ED visa "students") who actually want to learn some Thai from decent Thai teachers. At least that's my opinion.

So why do you assume the school in question is a "visa mill"? Just because it is cheap? Language express is a single branch which charges a laughable amount for both Thai and English classes. Maybe the teachers are good (I have no clue). But its not like Language Express is really renowned for their Thai courses or anything (at least that I am aware of).

Back when I was attending a private school, I would sometimes hire a private tutor to help me understand the class material outside of class time if I was having trouble understanding what the teacher was talking about during class. There is nothing the matter in doing what the OP and her BF are doing and they are to be commended for making a real effort for him to learn Thai. The other students who don't have a live-in tutor always have the option of hiring one.

It's the responsibility of the students to learn Thai and doing homework using various study tools, including the services of a private tutor is the responsibility of the student. You can't be expected to learn a subject simply by investing only the hours you spend in the classroom.

Where can these "live in tutors" be hired?

So why do you assume the school in question is a "visa mill"? Just because it is cheap? Language express is a single branch which charges a laughable amount for both Thai and English classes. Maybe the teachers are good (I have no clue). But its not like Language Express is really renowned for their Thai courses or anything (at least that I am aware of).

It's not like any school anywhere is renowned for their Thai courses....maybe except for the intensive at Chula.

Cheap & more importantly based on what "Kitsune" said: "I have been going every week to Sandee and NO your BF was not there. I was on my own with the teacher". Ok, not a visa mill school then but they only have 1 student in a group class. Guess they really need to do more marketing to attract students or they won't be able to cover costs & go bankrupt soon with only 1 student doing group lessons lol. Could it be they have a lot of "students" who don't actually turn up like the OP's boyfriend? whistling.gif

Edited by bbi1

It's not like any school anywhere is renowned for their Thai courses....maybe except for the intensive at Chula.

Cheap & more importantly based on what "Kitsune" said: "I have been going every week to Sandee and NO your BF was not there. I was on my own with the teacher". Ok, not a visa mill school then but they only have 1 student in a group class. Guess they really need to do more marketing to attract students or they won't be able to cover costs & go bankrupt soon with only 1 student doing group lessons lol. Could it be they have a lot of "students" who don't actually turn up like the OP's boyfriend? whistling.gif

From my understanding, the vast majority of schools don't have students show up for the majority of classes. And considering these schools are indeed businesses, there is no way they will drop them from enrollment. They want students to keep paying year after year, regardless of whether or not they attend class. I am not saying this to start a debate about the merits of such practice..... But rather this simply being the reality of the situation. Edited by inbangkok

From my understanding, the vast majority of schools don't have students show up for the majority of classes. And considering these schools are indeed businesses, there is no way they will drop them from enrollment. They want students to keep paying year after year, regardless of whether or not they attend class. I am not saying this to start a debate about the merits of such practice..... But rather this simply being the reality of the situation.

maybe it should be the schools not the students clamped down on by immigration.

if they enforced the attendance record problem solved.

i got from this:

sad.png

What's your school?

Oh yeah since 10 days my school too is full.

I'm talking before that

Edited by Kitsune

i got from this:

sad.png

What's your school?

Oh yeah since 10 days my school too is full.

I'm talking before that

Take a look at my previous posts above. I've already answered that question ;)

Wasn't it about that time that there was a warning thread was started by someone (maybe you, i can't remember??) that your school issued a warning for all students to attend classes that week because immigration was coming to check attendance on your school? I suspect that is why there was a huge spike in students attending.