Heads Up: CMU Graduation Ceremonies

Tywais

If you are planning on being west of the canal road and south of Huay Kaew expect heavier than normal traffic for the next few days. Left the university on the Suthep exit only to find they blocked the throughway at the light on the canal road so you can not turn right on the canal road coming from the university and you can not get down Suthep to the University west of the canal roads as they have barricades up. Tomorrow will probably be the worse.

• Like 2

^ Soi Wat Umong it is for you. wink.png

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Thanks, but the traffic in and out of that small soi is unnerving for me. I've been with friends who take those small sois like its a highway and don't know how they do it. Was able to make a left turn unto the canal road at the Suthep intersection and make a u-turn at the next light and back out on the canal going the other direction as that is not blocked. Long queue of cars doing the same thing. smile.png

Besides, I've decided to take tomorrow off and work from home. biggrin.png

• Like 1

As someone who lives on Suthep Road, I suffer this every year, made extremely difficult since I bought a car.

Last year I ended up parking that far up Suthep Road that a map might of been useful for my journey back to my condo (slight exaggeration, only slight).

Definitely an area to stay clear of and the Wat Umong route is not advised for cars on a good day, this time of the year bad.

john

Nice young lady.

2nd attempt to post - apologies if the first one worked

One benefit of the graduation --

Far fewer flights taking off to the North.

Air Asia to Macau just gone to the south as has a Lion air that had to do a sharp turn to miss Thai air coming in.

Edited by briley

Air Asia to Macau just gone to the south as has a Lion air that had to do a sharp turn to miss Thai air coming in.

Yup.. same for the Tiger Air flight from Singapore.

Let's hope they'll soon return to flying straight over Nimman.

post-64232-0-49180400-1421918737_thumb.j

Yup.. same for the Tiger Air flight from Singapore.

Let's hope they'll soon return to flying straight over Nimman.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Is that a safety reason or noise reason they are using alternate route?

//edit - just remembered there is usually a Royal at the ceremonies so makes sense.

//edit - just remembered there is usually a Royal at the ceremonies so makes sense.

I was also wondering about this.

Can someone elaborate: Have they really changed the flight routes? And if so, why exactly?

You can expect traffic chaos anywhere at the moment. Big tail backs this morning on superhighway near Makro, and 1317 heading into town. Someone important on the roads? I managed to escape it biggrin.png

Edited by MESmith

I was also wondering about this.

Can someone elaborate: Have they really changed the flight routes? And if so, why exactly?

You cannot have anyone be at a higher elevation than a member of the royal family. This applies to flyovers, the skytrain in BKK and so on. So when there is a motorcade or a member of the royal family is present somewhere, then traffic is temporarily stopped or diverted. This includes air traffic.

None of this is unusual, it's common practise during these kinds of visits.

That said, TG103 is about to take off in a Northern direction, so clearly it's not all day long.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1