No 'baggage fee' for airport taxis, Thai officials say

webfact

No ‘baggage fee’ for airport taxis, officials say
By Coconuts Bangkok

taxiairport_0.jpg
Photo: Sugree Phatanapherom

BANGKOK: -- Transportation officials have rejected requests including a proposed “baggage fee” from the airport taxi community, whose members have complained it is very difficult to earn a living.

Representatives of the drivers had asked officials to take action, as they do not make enough money using the meter, which compels them to overcharge passengers; however, the Department of Land Transport insisted they earn the same as taxis everywhere and do not need special treatment.

"The taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi Airport, although they make 4 to 5 trips per shift, earn as much as the ones who drive in the city with 13 to 14 trips,” Jirut Wisanchit of the Department of Land Transport said yesterday. “The average distance [for all taxi drivers] is 30 kilometers, so it is impossible to allow Suvarnabhumi taxis to not use the meter."

On top of the fare, he said Suvarnabhumi taxis also collect an additional THB50 fee. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/23/no-baggage-fee-airport-taxis-officials-say

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-23

• Like 2

What can I say rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why are you laughing?

They are entitled to ask to increase their income as any other person does on this earth.

Charging for luggage is very common in Europe.

Why not in Thailand?

10 or 20Baht will hurt the pockets of the tourists?

In my opinion they should be allowed.

Dear Costas,

If you like it, next time pay for them.

The most of taxi with out trank reason of gas tank. So I have to seat with my bags and I pay more.

Very nice dream.

sit there with your bags on top of you while the taxi driver stops at his gas gasoline station and let the meter run.

This is called "quality tourism".

• Like 2

Representatives of the drivers had asked officials to take action, as they do not make enough money using the meter, which compels them to overcharge passengers; however, the Department of Land Transport insisted they earn the same as taxis everywhere and do not need special treatment.

Such excuses sound familiar. Seem to have heard similar excuses in Parliament a few days ago.

What can I say rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Why are you laughing?

They are entitled to ask to increase their income as any other person does on this earth.

Why not in Thailand?

I'd be happy to give these guys a tip, more than they're asking for here, if only they helped me get the baggage out of the car.

They just sit behind the wheel and do nothing.

• Like 1

They just had a fare increase last month , I have been asked 3 times for 500 to 600 baht from the airport to BKK the correct fare is around 200 plus 75 baht if you use both tolls and the 50 baht airport fee. On another note my regular lady taxi driver that takes me from BKK to Pattaya charges me 1300 including tolls. When we left BKK yesterday she turned on her meter to test it as it was just adjusted to the new rate , the far was 1246.00 Baht on the new rate ,trip distance 124 kilometres from Asoke to beach rd Pattaya .i am getting a good deal at 1300B in my opinion, we did go the way from Klong Toey marked tollway not the Sukhumvit toll so maybe the distance was a bit longer. I might try the grab a taxi app on the way back just to piss off these Pattata yellow and blue rip off artists . But if you are willing to stand on second road and wait for a green and yellow taxi or a fully coloured taxi going back to Bkk you will pick them up for 800B Just remember all Pattaya taxies are blue and yellow Bkk ones are green and yellow. Since Japan man write story on them is time not to take anymore of there shit, in a polite way of course.

I avoid them like the plague but sometimes I need to use them and of course when I do it makes me realise why I don't use them. I tell the hotel to get me a taxi, so she sends a girl to find one, anyway ten minutes later along comes this brand new taxi with leather seat and the works but he doesn't want my push bike on the back seat because it might scratch the seat and I'm running out of time so money talks, he got me to Don Mueang airport real fast.

How long will it take for the BTS to go past Don Mueang airport because I see they are hard at work Thai style.

Urgent study on airport bags surcharge

BANGKOK, 23 January 2015 (NNT) - Transport Minister Prajin Juntong has assigned the Land Transport Department to urgently determine the possibility for taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi airport to collect surcharges from passengers with excessive luggage.

The order was made after Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha expressed his concern over a complaint posted on social network by a Japanese passenger about 'unfair' practices by taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi airport. The post has gone viral and prompted public debate over the proper taxi service charge.

A group of taxi drivers at the airport suggested that a luggage charge should be officially set. They proposed that one piece of baggage weighing under 15 kilogrammes would be free. However, passengers carrying two to four pieces of baggage would have to pay 30 baht each. They will be charged 50 baht for the fifth and sixth bags, and 80 baht for each of their remaining bags.

The study will be sent to the cabinet meeting next week. The issue is expected to be resolved in seven days before it is proposed to the Land Transport Department for consideration and approval.

According to studies, a number of taxi drivers earn less than usual after the Land Transport Department prohibited them from using the flat-rate system. They have to follow the an up-to-date taxi metre price chart. However, the department is looking for a solution when passengers request a flat rate to make the payment fair for both sides.

The Transport Minister insisted that the service charge will not be raised, as taxi drivers requested.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-23 footer_n.gif

Why are you laughing?

Why not in Thailand?

I agree. I remember my first trip to Thailand. As I walked towards the bus terminal in Bangkok a taxi driver shouts out "Hey you! where are you going?" I told him Suphan Buri and he quoted me 1500 bht. I told him to wait while I went inside to enquire . Inside the terminal they asked for 100 bht AND they put my suitcase on the front seat of a mini bus depriving the driver of taking on board a fare paying passenger. 110 kms for @ $4 AUD and diesel at 33bht/litre @ $1.10 AUD I wondered how it is that they make any money.. obviously they dont make much so why not let them charge for baggage. If I had my time again I would have given him a substantial tip but it was my maiden voyage and there was a lot to take in smile.png