Problem with Thai wife, maybe wanting a divorce, advice please!

k butler

On 1/24/2015 at 5:44 PM, CapeThai said:

No real need to get married no, but she is a keeper and I really do love her. She's got a professional job and her own money and never asked me for anything. So has her family told me they don't anything from me when we get married and I'm really accepted in her family and her by her friends.

If she's got a job and her own money why don't you two buy a condo together? That way even if you lose it eventually at least you'll lose only 50% of the money.

Say, the condo is 5,000,000 baht, each of you pay 2,500,000. She can get a mortgage since she is Thai and you can pay the mortgage together, or have some kind of agreement where you pay your part upfront and she keeps paying the mortgage, etc.

You can also make this arrangement according to incomes, so if you earn more you pay 70% of the price, whatever works best.

One thing that I noticed is that most of these girls "who never ask for any money" actually expect you to pay the full price for all big expenses, and will leave or throw a tantrum if you don't agree to that. You can put her to the test, even if in the end you are fine with paying for the house/condo yourself, but see if she is actually willing to help before proceeding. That will also let you see her true colors so that you know what will happen if you face financial struggles at some point.

Edited by andux

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2015 at 5:50 PM, Evilbaz said:

See a lawyer - you may be entitled to up to 50%

Can she prove she earned the funds for the purchases?

Did she pay tax on those earnings?

Etc etc.

Very, very good advice. The law here is not always in favor of the Thai partner. It depends on the situation. Even a letter from an attorney with a threatening tone, might cause her to sign the car and truck over to you. I doubt you can do anything about the house, but it is worth a consult with an attorney. Just make sure they come very highly recommended. There are alot of incompetent lawyers here, that are more than happy to take a retainer, and do very little work.