Work Permits for man married to a Thai woman.

I've not really thought about working in Thailand, not something that really need/want to do but.

I'm married to a Thai women (legally here in Thailand) and I have Non-O 1 year multiple entry visa.

My questions:

~ If I don't use the job as my reason to be approved to stay in Thailand, is there a minimum wage I need to be paid?

eg can someone agree to pay me 10,000 Baht a month.

~ What are the restriction on the job I can have?

Are there only:

~ jobs not on the Prohibited Occupations List for Thailand, and

~ a company meets the requirements (often posted about).

Am I missing anything?

Paul

I believe you need to be paid a minimum of 30k, you will also need to pay tax and ss for 4 Thai employees. In addition to this, you would need your wife to setup a company for facilitating your work permit. So you see they set the bar up high for us.

1. Yes. Only for an extension based on employment is there a minimum income requirement, and that is not even for all jobs. (Teachers for example do not have a minimum income).

2. You must have a work permit and some jobs are not allowed, such as tourism or counter sale. It are the jobs on the prohibited list, but they will also look if a Thai cannot do the job. There must be a reason to hire a foreigner.

• Like 1

1. Yes. Only for an extension based on employment is there a minimum income requirement, and that is not even for all jobs. (Teachers for example do not have a minimum income).

2. You must have a work permit and some jobs are not allowed, such as tourism or counter sale. It are the jobs on the prohibited list, but they will also look if a Thai cannot do the job. There must be a reason to hire a foreigner.

1. thank, as thought.

2a. understand the work permit

2b. so even though I'm married, I still have to find a job that a Thai cannot do?

thanks.

You being married to a Thai makes no difference regarding a work permit, other than that the registered capital and the ratio Thai- Foreigners is halved.

depends on where you live, hua hin said my wife would still need 4 employees if i wanted to work in her company :(

Mario2008, on 24 Jan 2015 - 16:28, said:snapback.png

regarding #1 if i extend my non-o based on marriage there would be no minimum income requirement to obtain/renew the work permit?

You being married to a Thai makes no difference regarding a work permit, other than that the registered capital and the ratio Thai- Foreigners is halved.

depends on where you live, hua hin said my wife would still need 4 employees if i wanted to work in her company sad.png

Mario2008, on 24 Jan 2015 - 16:28, said:snapback.png

regarding #1 if i extend my non-o based on marriage there would be no minimum income requirement to obtain/renew the work permit?

If you apply for a 2.18 extension based on having a Thai Spouse and Working in Thailand then amongst other papers, you must show your work permit plus present evidence of tax paid on an income of 40,000 THB pcm (tax on previous month's income - PND1 and annual personal tax return - PND91).

Edited by digitalchromakey

I believe you need to be paid a minimum of 30k, you will also need to pay tax and ss for 4 Thai employees. In addition to this, you would need your wife to setup a company for facilitating your work permit. So you see they set the bar up high for us.

Is there a minimum wage you would need to pay these Thai workers so you could work in your wife's company?

• 7 months later...

In Chonburi the number of Thai workers per work permit (married) is 4 unless anyone can point me towards the code that states otherwise

thanks

If married to a Thai then it is two Thai employees per work permit.

It has been that way for a very long time.

Best for you to contact a law firm

For advice on how to set up a company

In Chonburi the number of Thai workers per work permit (married) is 4 unless anyone can point me towards the code that states otherwise

thanks

If married to a Thai then it is two Thai employees per work permit.

It has been that way for a very long time.

Best for you to contact a law firm

For advice on how to set up a company

Again

show me the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code where it says 2 Thai workers for a company where the WP holder is married to a Thai citizen

thank you

• Like 1