Working on a Non O visa, is it legit?

I got a one year work permit two months ago and I am here on a non-O marriage visa, so I don't see why you will have a problem. My visa even has 'employment prohibited' written on it but that just means I can't work on the visa alone. The WP was issued without a problem in about three weeks.

You can get a work permit attached to a Non O just as well as a Non B

It depends on the reason of the Non-O and extension.

Based on retirement for instance you will not get a work permit, while based on being married to a Thai national it is no problem.

I am a little confised on all the work permit regulations and diffrent scenarios. I am understanding that if you are married to a Thai wife to work you must have:

1) A work permit on top of your spouse visa Type-o

2) The company that employees you must have a minimum of 4 Thai workers

3) You must be paid a minimum wage of ??????

Are there any other rules that I have missed? Are there any restrictions on IT workers?

Thanks for the help?

I am a little confised on all the work permit regulations and diffrent scenarios. I am understanding that if you are married to a Thai wife to work you must have:

1) A work permit on top of your spouse visa Type-o

2) The company that employees you must have a minimum of 4 Thai workers

3) You must be paid a minimum wage of ??????

Are there any other rules that I have missed? Are there any restrictions on IT workers?

Thanks for the help?

1. You can get a work permit with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.

2. If married to a Thai only 2 employees are needed but some offices still require 4.

3. For the work permit application there is no minimum salary requirement.

They is no general restriction for IT workers. But it is possible some positions would fall under the jobs reserved for Thais.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe, thanks for this clarification.

If employed by the Thai wife do you know if a company is required or could she just employ her husband (+ 2 Thais) in her own name?

A registered sole proprietor business, partnership, or a company is needed to get a work permit.

An easy way is to register a 51/49 partnership with your wife. It would have to be registered with 1 million baht capital.

She can be one of the 2 employees if the local work permit office will allow only 2 employees.

You can get a work permit attached to a Non O just as well as a Non B

It depends on the reason of the Non-O and extension.

Based on retirement for instance you will not get a work permit, while based on being married to a Thai national it is no problem.

Mario,

You do a sterling job in this forum but I find the responses to the OP and the subsequent posters fraught with ambiguity.

It is perfectly possible to work with a Non-Imm 'O' if your 'extensions' are neither for marriage nor retirement!

I am proof of such, having come here in 2008 with a Non-Imm 'O' which has been extended, without difficulty, every year since by virtue of my job. As has been pointed out by various respondents, the key is that a Work Permit is required in addition to the visa allocation, whatever it may be.

It would seem that not only the visa regulations are open to individual interpretation by Immigration offices but also the work permit regulations by the Labour offices? It was ever thus.

Thank you for your sage advice on many topics.

Mario,

You do a sterling job in this forum but I find the responses to the OP and the subsequent posters fraught with ambiguity.

It is perfectly possible to work with a Non-Imm 'O' if your 'extensions' are neither for marriage nor retirement!

I am proof of such, having come here in 2008 with a Non-Imm 'O' which has been extended, without difficulty, every year since by virtue of my job. As has been pointed out by various respondents, the key is that a Work Permit is required in addition to the visa allocation, whatever it may be.

It would seem that not only the visa regulations are open to individual interpretation by Immigration offices but also the work permit regulations by the Labour offices? It was ever thus.

Thank you for your sage advice on many topics.

There are many reasons for a non-O, besides marriage and retirement. As said, not only the non-immigrant visa class is important, also the actual reason of the (extension of) permisison to stay.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

labour office told me they need to see the thai stamp "thai wife" on the OYPS (one year permit stay) to give me the WP

Done.

bye

Forgot to tell you... in my case i'm working and i'm employed by my wife..

labour office told me they need to see the thai stamp "thai wife" on the OYPS (one year permit stay) to give me the WP
Done.
bye

Without a job from a Thai entity ?, struggling to believe that one ?

You missed his follow up post.

Done.

bye

Without a job from a Thai entity ?, struggling to believe that one ?

check better above....just few posts

cheers

Hi all

Getting a WP on a non O is up to both, the labor dept. and the immigration dept. Here in Sakon Nakon it is difficult. Immigration is super helpful here, and really handy after all the years I had to go to BKK. But they are not sure of specifics. Both depts. suggest non B. I will probably have to go to non O, end of the year, (age), but will be working part-time. Does anyone know which provinces are easy? Thanks

The way I understand it is....

A work permit on an O- marriage vise is the prefered one.

If you are here on an O-marred visa and change to a B, your visa is invalid when the job ends, for any reason, and you must then jump through all of those hoops again to get another O- married visa or leave the country.

If you get a work permit on your O-married visa and the job ends...you still have your o-married visa and can stay with no hoops!

Is that correct Joe?