Touring advice

willyumiii

I have lived in Thailand for a few years now, but have not been a tourist in Thailand for about 10 years.

From what I read, things have changed a lot in 10 years.

One of my oldest and closest friends from Caifornia is coming for a visit in March. His virst trip to Thailand ever.

He wants me to show him around and we will have about 20 days to do it.

He is really into sailing and boats, and is interested in boats of Thailand from longtails to junks, to fishing boats as well as any kind of sail boat.

He is an experienced diver, scuba and snorlkeling.

He has also had an interest in Buddhism for a long time.

Thailand sounds perfect for him, right?

He likes to have some fun, but I don't know if he would be into the bar girl thing or not, thou I'm sure he wouldn't be ofended by them, and definately some bars are in order!

Knowing things have changed a bit since 2005 when I was single and traveling about, what good advice do you have as to where to take him and what to do and see?

Years ago, I enjoyed Phuket, Krabi and even Pattaya..still a good idea?

I know Bangkok is full of interesting experiences, but other than the grand palace & wat...what else is there?

I am seriously trying to plan out a great visit for a great friend.

So, please, no sarcastic comments, Thai bashing or derogatory remarks about the country are being requested here.

I know a bit about Thailand, the good and the bad, but the puropse of this post is to help me show a good buddy a good time here.

P.S. of those 20 days we will probably spend a week just kicking back whereI live in Esaan enjying the country life.

Thanks in advance.

He is coming from California...

Possibly he might be a little disappointed with the beaches and diving here as a comparison; possibly, possibly not.

Does he want to do more of the same, or try something new?

I am thinking definitely immerse him in Isaan culture, possibly something unique along the Mekong. River cruise, long boats??

And the river Kwai region, for sure.

Other than that, you both seem intelligent Gents. Ask him directly and plan accordingly.

• Like 1

Hey OP. I don't want to sound patronizing or a smart-ass. What I am trying to say is....be careful.

I have lost good friends from Australia, New Zealand and Holland by having them visit me here. Their concept of Thailand isn't what Thailand really is. The glossy brochures, photos, videos and emails don't justify what the place is really like. Really pick his brains and ask what he would like to see, then let him know the possible downfalls. Sure Ayuthaya is interesting, as long as it isn't sweltering humid heat ,or if he doesn't have a tummy upset and needs a toilet in a hurry. The small things can ruin a holiday, and a friendship.

Has he traveled extensively before, used a squat toilet, sat on a long haul Asian bus for hours at a time?

Please don't lose a friend over this.

Have fun....

Hi Folks,

daveAustin

Then from there you could nip across to Kan for the Death Railway/River and Hellfire Pass:thumbsup.gif

For sure Kan is just a small trip away from BKK

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Please have a look at the above link to my web-page for more detailed look at Kan and Thailand that \I have seen.thumbsup.gif

Win facepalm.gif

Possibly he might be a little disappointed with the beaches and diving here as a comparison; possibly, possibly not.

I am thinking definitely immerse him in Isaan culture, possibly something unique along the Mekong. River cruise, long boats??

Other than that, you both seem intelligent Gents. Ask him directly and plan accordingly.

diving in ca is nothing compared to here unless he only likes diving in COLD water amongst the kelp :-)

Similans is world class

Beaches are very different for sure but he would not be disappointed ( i lived in Monterrey and Napa Ca)

Issan culture?? ahh u mean getting drunk at Karaokes??

River Kwai is ok but not worth going up for compared to what else he might wish to see is such a short time

Edited by phuketrichard

diving in ca is nothing compared to here unless he only likes diving in COLD water amongst the kelp :-)

Similans is world class

Beaches are very different for sure but he would not be disappointed ( i lived in Monterrey and Napa Ca)

Issan culture?? ahh u mean getting drunk at Karaokes??

River Kwai is ok but not worth going up for compared to what else he might wish to see is such a short time

Good reply Richard. Except for the getting drunk at karaoke bit. Seems he will be in for a good holiday.

CA is full of Beached, most prob. has seen all of them, then why not see the county side, as Kan is the third largest province in Thailand, just next to BKK, which has much to offer

wish to see is such a short time

Win thumbsup.gif