Can Author Copyright A Novel From Thailand?

PeaceBlondie

So, I finally had both volumes of my big novel printed yesterday. I'm ready to get it copyrighted. As an American, I was going to send it to the US copyright office, but we're probably talking US$200.

Can I get both novels copyrighted, internationally, within Thailand? And would the Thai govt. care if the novel contains any s-e-x or any direct/fictional references to a most important family, which can't be mentioned here, but is mentioned in volume two??

Thanks. If this is in the wrong forum, please move or advise.

Copyright is automatic on creation. Whether this protection is worth anything seems to vary from country to country, as each country has its own copyright laws and enforces them with waring riggor.

If you want to register your work sending it to the copyright office in the US will have it registered. I am not sure if there is a cost involved. Best contact them for the information, they will have a web site with the information. This is only for the US.

As far as I know there is no similar office in any other country.

Library of Congess registration is another usefull devise in USA, your publisher should do this along with ISBN allocation.

I am an aussie so am not sure about all the hoops to jump through in US copyright law, but it is one of the strongest in the world.

Do you have a publisher? I think they would take care of this for you, and part of their job would be to make sure nothing inappropriate is printed. There are several publishers here specializing in books written about Thailand by farang.

Do you have a publisher? I think they would take care of this for you, and part of their job would be to make sure nothing inappropriate is printed. There are several publishers here specializing in books written about Thailand by farang.
Thanks, camerata; I'll consider that. No, I don't have a publisher yet; I'm totally new at this. I don't mind getting it copyrighted by myself, although I don't want to self-publish.

Please feel free to PM or to e-mail me any handy sources you know, for publishers in Thailand, although volume 2 might be censored. This double novel is hardly a typical one by a farang, since volume 1 takes place in Mexico. Besides, nobody takes drugs or kills a prostitute (although there is one human trafficking chapter, and lots of sex and violence). Also, it's about Catholics and Mennonites, and gay sex. But when it's not gory, it's very funny!

Thanks, camerata; I'll consider that. No, I don't have a publisher yet; I'm totally new at this. I don't mind getting it copyrighted by myself, although I don't want to self-publish.

Please feel free to PM or to e-mail me any handy sources you know, for publishers in Thailand, although volume 2 might be censored. This double novel is hardly a typical one by a farang, since volume 1 takes place in Mexico. Besides, nobody takes drugs or kills a prostitute (although there is one human trafficking chapter, and lots of sex and violence). Also, it's about Catholics and Mennonites, and gay sex. But when it's not gory, it's very funny!

PB,

Here's a url to a site you might find interesting and informative on copyright.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Cent

For something that is Thai-related, the obvious publishers would be White Lotus Press or Christopher G. Moore's own company, Heaven Lake Press, although they would probably only provide distribution in Thailand.

If you self-publish, you can apply for the ISBN number in Thailand, as I recall.

Highly recommended that you do the registration yourself. Some of those Publishers have some bad habits. (not in reference to the ones listed above)

Also consider publishing the book yourself.

Contact me for any free advice! having helped a friend (the former Argentina Brunetti and her son) bring "In Sicilian Company" to the bookshelves of the world, I learned a lot and might be able to point you in the right direction. On a very positive note, the author's son, who is also my former Base Commander and a dear dear friend, recently sent the film script to Hollywood at the request of a 3rd party.

If you do not know who Argentina Brunetti was, then go here and press the PRESS RELEASE BUTTON

Edited by mouse

There's no such thing as an international copyright. Copyright is established according to the laws of a particular nation and enforced (or not) according to the laws of any nation in which the issue becomes relevant. Since I seem to remember that you are an American, the best (and really only practical) alternative for you is to register your book's copyright in the US.

As someone above correctly said, as a matter of law, copyright attaches to whatever you have written as soon as you write it. What matters, if the issue of copyright is ever raised, is being able to prove when you did write it and that is what registration accomplishes.

The form is available online with complete instructions and it's only a single page. Download it and file for US copyright registration is you want to take the professional route with your manuscript. And, if you are serious about trying to get it published, that is what you must do.