Tottenham Thread

chonabot

I've nothing against any of the teams that you've mentioned. But comparisons with a Championship team, another that only came into the Premiership a season ago and West Brom just relegated (again) ? Can't you do better than that?

You talk about us being delusional, then you come out with these comments,what makes you think your bigger & better than them ? so your saying what division your in makes a difference

finally

you seem to make a lot of statements without any facts to back them up,and when i ask you a question you come out with a lot of waffle without answering the question.

Questions still unanswered :

HH :You've signed two players who aren't in any way ready for the Premiership

AC : How many times have you seen them play to come to this conclusion ?

HH : I've not seen them play, I don't think

AC : So how can you form an opinion of a player when you havn't even seen him play ?

HH : there's players whom Spurs all but ruined but turned out to be not bad players at all after they left.

AC : can't remember who they are, can you enlighten me ?

HH : I thought that I read at least one of your own supporters on this very forum moaning about taking players that didn't seem to be at Premiership level

AC : Where was this ? must have missed it

I've nothing against any of the teams that you've mentioned. But comparisons with a Championship team, another that only came into the Premiership a season ago and West Brom just relegated (again) ? Can't you do better than that?

You talk about us being delusional, then you come out with these comments,what makes you think your bigger & better than them ? so your saying what division your in makes a difference

Nothing of the sort actually. All that I was trying to point out to you is that West Ham aren't comparable to being similar clubs as those that you mention. West Ham are an established, mid-table Premiership team of middling size and status. As are Tottenham Hotspurs. Those that you mention aren't really. And in two cases are in a different League, too boot. Although to be fair, I'd sooner any of those mentioned to Arsenal's north London neighbours. :D

"finally"

Are you sure ? :)

you seem to make a lot of statements without any facts to back them up,and when i ask you a question you come out with a lot of waffle without answering the question.

Waffle ? Well if that's you altitude, then there's nothing much left to discuss really. I've, politely, tried to answer your questions and even corrected a few of your mistakes concerning players, etc. There's gratitude for you, Mr Conn. :D

I thought that I read at least one of your own supporters on this very forum moaning about taking players that didn't seem to be at Premiership level.

Well, if you insist on pressing this trivial and inconsequential point ... Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't rijit (Post #881) one Spurs supporter expressing similar views as myself ?

Shalom

Pompey accept Spurs' Crouch offer

BBC

_46113924_crouch.jpg

Portsmouth have accepted an offer from Tottenham for England striker Peter Crouch, says Pompey boss Paul Hart.

A reported £10m deal was agreed on Saturday after Spurs made a renewed effort to sign the 28-year-old.

Crouch is expected to sign a five-year deal as he is reunited with former Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp.

"Given the severe financial restraints in place here we had no choice but to accept an offer from Spurs," Hart told the Mirror.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed to see Peter leave. (But) I think people need to realise that Pompey have been punching way above their weight and could no longer sustain the level of spending that has gone on here over the past three years.

"And even though a new owner is poised to come in, our dealings in the market will be modest in comparison to the past."

Crouch is expected to sign early next week and could even travel with the club to Beijing, where Spurs will compete in the Asia Cup alongside West Ham, Hull and Beijing Guoan.

Tottenham, with whom Crouch started his career, will be the third club at which the striker has played under Redknapp, after spells with the 62-year-old at Southampton and Portsmouth in the past.

The deal comes despite hints from Redknapp last week that it would be too expensive.

He said at the time: "I just feel that for that type of money it is an awful lot of money. It is an expensive deal because there is no return on it.

"I don't know whether it is possible for us to do that type of deal. It is an expensive deal. The whole package looks expensive."

However, Portsmouth reportedly agreed to drop their £12m asking price in order to do the deal after Crouch made it clear he wanted to return to Tottenham.

His arrival could hasten the departure of Darren Bent, with Sunderland reportedly keen to sign the 25-year-old.

Portsmouth, meanwhile, could yet offload more players this summer despite Sulaiman Al Fahim's takeover of the club nearing completion.

The property tycoon has been named Pompey chairman, but Hart does not expect a Manchester City-style spree.

"It's important everybody understands that we have to cut our cloth," Hart, who has been appointed on a permanent basis, told BBC Radio 5 Live. "The days of £20m buys are over in the short-term, but maybe not longer-term."

Edited by Devil

Redknapp Signing another Player that he has signed previously, him & the Agent must get on well... :)

& T*ttenham paying out 10m on a Player who won't have any re sale value at all... :D

That's the sort of Signing that'll worry the Top 4 & City, without a doubt.. :D

Pompey accept Spurs' Crouch offer

BBC

this thread gets more and more hilarious day by day, im off for a coupla tigers and piss maself laughing for the next few hours, absolutely blindin :):D:D:D:D:D

_46113924_crouch.jpg

Portsmouth have accepted an offer from Tottenham for England striker Peter Crouch, says Pompey boss Paul Hart.

A reported £10m deal was agreed on Saturday after Spurs made a renewed effort to sign the 28-year-old.

Crouch is expected to sign a five-year deal as he is reunited with former Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp.

"Given the severe financial restraints in place here we had no choice but to accept an offer from Spurs," Hart told the Mirror.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed to see Peter leave. (But) I think people need to realise that Pompey have been punching way above their weight and could no longer sustain the level of spending that has gone on here over the past three years.

"And even though a new owner is poised to come in, our dealings in the market will be modest in comparison to the past."

Crouch is expected to sign early next week and could even travel with the club to Beijing, where Spurs will compete in the Asia Cup alongside West Ham, Hull and Beijing Guoan.

Tottenham, with whom Crouch started his career, will be the third club at which the striker has played under Redknapp, after spells with the 62-year-old at Southampton and Portsmouth in the past.

The deal comes despite hints from Redknapp last week that it would be too expensive.

He said at the time: "I just feel that for that type of money it is an awful lot of money. It is an expensive deal because there is no return on it.

"I don't know whether it is possible for us to do that type of deal. It is an expensive deal. The whole package looks expensive."

However, Portsmouth reportedly agreed to drop their £12m asking price in order to do the deal after Crouch made it clear he wanted to return to Tottenham.

His arrival could hasten the departure of Darren Bent, with Sunderland reportedly keen to sign the 25-year-old.

Portsmouth, meanwhile, could yet offload more players this summer despite Sulaiman Al Fahim's takeover of the club nearing completion.

The property tycoon has been named Pompey chairman, but Hart does not expect a Manchester City-style spree.

"It's important everybody understands that we have to cut our cloth," Hart, who has been appointed on a permanent basis, told BBC Radio 5 Live. "The days of £20m buys are over in the short-term, but maybe not longer-term."

our ari is a sly old bugger, seems like hes worked the spurs hierarchy into doing a deal and buying some one that they had doubts about!!

laugh all you want, almost for sure crouch will get 20 goals plus next season.

As time goas on ari is convincing me, a total sceptic he will get a team that he wants.

and it will push for a top 4 place.

Livermore leveller for Spurs

July 25, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Tottenham youngster Jake Livermore celebrated his new contract with the club by scoring a late equaliser in the Wembley Cup friendly against Barcelona's second string.

Picture/GettyImages

Joy for Tottenham after their leveller against Barca

Livermore's new deal, until 2011, had been announced earlier in the day and he found the net shortly after coming on as a substitute in the 80th minute, cancelling out Bojan Krkic's opener.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp auditioned four possibilities to plug the hole in the centre of his defence during the clash. With Spurs short on numbers, Vedran Corluka, Tom Huddlestone, Pascal Chimbonda and youngster Dorian Dervite filled in at centre-back but could not prevent Bojan getting on the scoresheet.

The Spanish and European title holders selected a severely weakened team, with only Yaya Toure remaining from the side that defeated Manchester United two months ago in the Champions League final.

Eric Abidal, who was suspended for that clash, started and so did Bojan but Spurs' makeshift defence were spared an evening trying to keep out Thierry Henry, Lionel Messi or Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who has agreed personal terms ahead of a move from Inter Milan.

With Jonathan Woodgate, Michael Dawson and Ledley King sidelined, Huddlestone had to drop back from midfield to centre-back, with Corluka shifting inside from the right from the start.

Redknapp went with Jermain Defoe in attack on his own and Spurs struggled to make chances, allowing Barcelona to settle into the game.

They took the lead in the 32nd minute when Toure went on a mazy run past Wilson Palacios and Corluka. Huddlestone tackled him cleanly but the ball ran for Bojan, who lashed home at the near post.

It could have got worse when former Chelsea forward Eidur Gudjohnsen chipped through for Pedro Rodriguez to tuck home, but he was harshly ruled offside.

Luka Modric struck the bar for Spurs in their first genuine attack, with Benoit Assou-Ekotto getting an effort tipped over when the rebound eventually fell for him.

Barca changed their entire side at the break, while Robbie Keane was among the four substitutes Redknapp brought on.

It meant Spurs were 4-4-2 and they had a huge penalty appeal turned down just before the hour mark when Albert Dalmau appeared to handle when he controlled a corner aimed at the far post.

Heurelho Gomes saved well when Jeffren Suarez was sent through, while Modric had a close-range effort bravely blocked by substitute goalkeeper Jose Maria Pinto.

Livermore headed home in the 83rd minute, getting on the end of Assou-Ekotto's cross.

our ari is a sly old bugger, seems like hes worked the spurs hierarchy into doing a deal and buying some one that they had doubts about!!

As time goas on ari is convincing me, a total sceptic he will get a team that he wants.

and it will push for a top 4 place. :D

You lot are incorrigible. Why do you do it to yourselves when you should have learned by now ... oh what's the point :)

Anyway back to real life. I personally don't think that Crouch will score that many goals. Solely because 'Arry won't be using Crouch as an out-and-out striker.

Although he conned everyone into thinking that he wasn't interested. Half truths it seems to me. When he said that he didn't need another striker. True. Won't be making an offer. Wily, at best.

and it will push for a top 4 place. :D

You lot are incorrigible. Why do you do it to yourselves when you should have learned by now ... oh what's the point :)

Anyway back to real life. I personally don't think that Crouch will score that many goals. Solely because 'Arry won't be using Crouch as an out-and-out striker.

Although he conned everyone into thinking that he wasn't interested. Half truths it seems to me. When he said that he didn't need another striker. True. Won't be making an offer. Wily, at best.

They're nuts HH, there's no other explanation as they are ALL like it... :D

Ardiles is at it now too...Bwahahahahahahaha :D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...15875-21548326/

Ari built a team at portsmouth that, if kept together, and pushed on, would and did challenge for a top 6 spot. Why not one better at Tottenham?. with a

little success spurs have the ability to attract GREAT players, and i'm sure Ari will more than take advantage of that. I see this as ari's swansong, his last

job in management, b4 he retires and imo hes got a point to prove. Laugh if you will, but with spurs reasonble financial muscle,i'm beginning to think that

he actually can do it. And as for crouch, Ive no Idea where he will play him. but in this day and age its all about options. last time around at pompey he

played him and defoe in a 442 and they showed enough to convince me that they are quite capable of hitting 40 between them.

"Believe me Dave, Spurs fan base is huge & I'd say a bit bigger than Arsenal's.

Even most Arsenal fans agree with that".

I was discussing Spurs support with my chum in the UK. He is a life long Spurs fan and season ticket holder. I was amazed with this comment above. Before I reply that he needs a holiday or therapy or I put it on the Arsenal thread to test its validity -would other Spurs fans agree with this belief.

edit: I am a forest fan - whose fan base Worldwide is slightly larger that Man U's Dublin branch of 30,000 - so do not understand how to estimate a large fan base :)

Edited by dsfbrit

I know. I used to think it a stereotype. But it's true.

In my experience of supporters of other clubs there are two things that I've found to be true. One is that any Millwall supporters that I've met have been nasty individuals, the second that Tottenham supporters actually believe that next season (any season) is going to be the one in which they are going to achieve the same amount of success similar, and relative to their1960–61 double winning year. :D The other things that I've noticed that both Arsenal and Chelsea have a large percentage of upper-middle to upper class supporters, and together with Man u have their fair share of "plastic supporters".

Blimey, then there's this:

Believe me Dave, Spurs fan base is huge & I'd say a bit bigger than Arsenal's. Even most Arsenal fans agree with that

Tell you what, without Spurs supporters psychiatry would be harder pushed to find so many typical examples of delusional psychosis. That is, those who actually believe those castles in the sky are real. :D

I know. I used to think it a stereotype. But it's true.

In my experience of supporters of other clubs there are two things that I've found to be true. One is that any Millwall supporters that I've met have been nasty individuals, the second that Tottenham supporters actually believe that next season (any season) is going to be the one in which they are going to achieve the same amount of success similar, and relative to their1960–61 double winning year. :D The other things that I've noticed that both Arsenal and Chelsea have a large percentage of upper-middle to upper class supporters, and together with Man u have their fair share of "plastic supporters".

Blimey, then there's this:

Believe me Dave, Spurs fan base is huge & I'd say a bit bigger than Arsenal's. Even most Arsenal fans agree with that

Tell you what, without Spurs supporters psychiatry would be harder pushed to find so many typical examples of delusional psychosis. That is, those who actually believe those castles in the sky are real. :D

You can say that again - the trouble is this guy is one of my best friends. I have had years of him telling me Spurs are/about to be/should be/ a top 4 team. Each year there is another reason why they are not - curiously its usually because of a refs bad decision or something other than they just are not good enough. Then its on to next season - how they will prove they are top 4 etc... He is now telling me they have a 'huge' fan base etc... whatever that means!!! If you judge a fan base by replica shirts worn - then in Thailand I only ever see Man U, Liverpool and a few other premier team shirts being worn. Never seen a Spurs shirt. Certainly the bars are packed for Man U and Liverpool games. Nothing wrong with Spurs, I like them as a team - but I do like to bring him back into the real world sometimes.

f you judge a fan base by replica shirts worn - then in Thailand I only ever see Man U, Liverpool and a few other premier team shirts being worn. Never seen a Spurs shirt.

A point that had also occurred to me. I've even seen West Ham shirts being worn by Thai blokes -- well two to be exact. :)

But never a Spurs shirt, and I have travelled.

Oddly enough though. A few years ago I couldn't help noticing -- almost around every corner in Bangkok -- dozens of Ipswich shirts being worn (mainly by pooying). But I just put it down to some unwanted job-lot being sold off in the markets for 60 baht. :D

Lets be realistic whats the average managers life span at any club? barring the sensible man utd or arsenals 3 seasons? prob 4 max?

why should a manager give a flying about the long term health of a club when hes judged solely on the here and now of the 1st team

so short term buys to us the fans seem crap

but to a mercenary like ari, they are the basis to his success. If you cant afford to buy the young , eminently resalable

real deal. Then why not go for the other option? over the years its proved a successful enough theory!

im so pissed of and bored with saying spurs are going to happen next year. the last time it was anywhere near pos was in the mid 80s and even then it was

doubtful. But maybe, just maybe, our ari has the guile to work a very very politically difficult club to his purely selfish ends. lets face after all is he not

a hammer ?

Edited by rijit

What will he be used as then a fukcing left back or perhaps a midfield destroyer. You don't half come out with some crap mate.

He didn't conn everyone, just you Mr Naive.

A point that had also occurred to me. I've even seen West Ham shirts being worn by Thai blokes -- well two to be exact. :)

But never a Spurs shirt, and I have travelled.

Do me a favour Mr Naive, next your be saying the spammers have got a bigger fanbase than spurs, but with no facts to back it up.

Henry: I'd never tell anyone to join Spurs

July 28, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Thierry Henry may be a key part of Barcelona's all-conquering side but he hasn't forgotten his loyalties in England.

RichardHeathcote/GettyImages

Thierry Henry is Arsenal's all-time leading scorer.

That's because Arsenal's all-time leading scorer insists he would never advise anyone to sign for the Gunners' fierce rivals Spurs.

Reports in the press claimed Henry had encouraged former team-mate Patrick Vieira to join Harry Redknapp at Tottenham.

But Henry told The Sun: "I am Arsenal through and through. I'd never advise anyone to sign for Tottenham. I can't have Arsenal fans thinking I am helping Tottenham in any way.

"The truth is I was talking to Spurs boss Harry Redknapp and he told me he was trying to sign Patrick from Inter Milan. I was very surprised because Patrick is like me. He loves Arsenal.

"I just said that Patrick would be a brilliant signing. But I also made it clear I would be shocked if it happened.''

Henry, who scored 214 goals for Arsene Wenger's side, accepts Arsenal may struggle to reclaim the Premier League title given the strength of opposition they face - and the sale of striker Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City.

But Henry insists Arsenal have the capabilities to replicate Barcelona's success after they completed a domestic and European treble last season with a clutch of homegrown stars.

"It is more difficult to achieve success without money, but it's not impossible with the right attitude,'' he said.

"Just look at Barcelona. We won the treble this year and proved you can succeed by developing your own players and blending them with one or two expensive signings.

"Arsenal are trying to do the same thing and are very close to achieving their ambitions.''

Well it seems that your defence may well need Crouch, or anyone to bolster your defensive fragility . Apart from which you obviously have no idea how Rednapp played Crouch at Southampton. Nor recognise anything about a player's abilities unless he's Roy of The Rovers. Bet that if you knew anything about cricket that you'd be a T20 fan as well. :)

He didn't conn everyone, just you Mr Naive.

Usual incisive and reasonable type of comment. Cheers.

To those who continue to bait each other. Please stop. This is the last warning in this thread.

Thanks jock star, it is getting rather tiresome.

would be nice just to have tottenham fans discussing tottenham issues

rather than rather pointless banter , perhaps I could suggest a banter section, it actually works rather well on other sites where people can put threads up to abuse or praise or what ever.

To those who continue to bait each other. Please stop. This is the last warning in this thread.

Edited

No point in drawing comparisons with another thread that's currently running.

Edited by Happy Hammer

Right now HH and his mates have hopefully buggered off us Spurs fans can now concentrate on getting into the top 4 or was it top 2?

Crouch in and Bent out wasn't such a bad deal especially if we end up with 5mil in the bank out of it but can see the Roman one keeping the bench warm this season. Also looks llike Hutton will go and that will guve 'Arry at least 12mil to play with so hopefully he'll add another tough midfielder and another young defender. Personally would also like to see the back of Bale but may have to rely on our mate Jol to see that one materialise.

Not long now.

Right now HH and his mates have hopefully buggered off us Spurs fans can now concentrate on getting into the top 4 or was it top 2? :D

At least you've got a sense of humour -- or worryingly, that you probably believe that.

But whatever happened to chonabot ? With him you could have a good banter without threat -- and all taken in good spirit.

Ah, for the old days. Still this will be Spurs season, I'm convinced. :)

See you around chaps. But only for the occasional reminder -- you deserve that at least. :D

At least you've got a sense of humour -- or worryingly, that you probably believe that.

It's the humour HH. Being a Spurs supporter of better than 40 years it's proved vital just about every seasaon and for the record my prediction fo the mighty Lillywhites hasn't been better than 8th over the last 4 seasons. As for your boys well as I used to live in East Ham (High Street South to be exact) I readily confess to having a soft spot usually to the tune of 6 points but can't truly see either of us troubling the powers that be but of course all for being wrong.

Here's hoping.

It's the humour HH. Being a Spurs supporter of better than 40 years it's proved vital just about every seasaon and for the record my prediction fo the mighty Lillywhites hasn't been better than 8th over the last 4 seasons. As for your boys well as I used to live in East Ham (High Street South to be exact) I readily confess to having a soft spot usually to the tune of 6 points but can't truly see either of us troubling the powers that be but of course all for being wrong.

Here's hoping.

If only they all had your realism and self -deprecation. Although I hope that you weren't born in East Ham :D

But in these times of the Sky generation it wouldn't surprise me to see Tottenham and Arsenal shirts worn even in those hottest of West Ham hotbeds. There again, Jimmy Greaves was born somewhere near Central Park as well.

Although ,possibly, Pakistan or India cricket shirts are just as likely to be seen nowadays. No problem with that -- just an observation on the changes in community.

Best, mate

Edit

Mistakenly wrote self-depreciation at first. Not the same thing at all. Depreciation is only that which happens when, e.g. Spurs pay x millions for a player, only to then have to sell at a massive loss. Darren Bent anyone ? :)

Edited by Happy Hammer