Dot 5 fork oil

I've just been told by the mechanic who fitted my Intiminators that they can't source dot 5 fork oil. 7.5 is the closest they can get. I suspect my search for a stiffer front-end may deliver too strong a result.

Has anyone seen Dot 5? I'd planned to kick off my 5,500 km ride on monday morning, so I'll ride anywhere to get it.

Many thanks.

You can use engine oil as well if you can not find dedicated fork oil. Or ATF as said above.

Had cartridge forks, and bikes with cartridge-emulators. No problem using anything. Experiment and find what works best for you and your bike / riding conditions.

• Like 1

Thanks mate - I've tracked down a reseller and although they don't have the specific fork oil, they have dot 5 engine oil. It will take them 2 months to get the fork oil in, so I'll do as you suggest until then. After my 'big trip' I wil have passed 50,000 km, and the servicing that requires will help pass the delay before the replacement...

Cheers.

You can use engine oil as well if you can not find dedicated fork oil. Or ATF as said above.

Had cartridge forks, and bikes with cartridge-emulators. No problem using anything. Experiment and find what works best for you and your bike / riding conditions.

are you kidding?,

"engine oil in forks", "no problems using anything"

you may have had more sophisticated forks but it would seem you have no idea why the wrong oil is the WRONG oil.

to the op

7.5 wt will increase the damping, not the spring rate, so both compression and rebound damping will be slower

you can add spacers to give more spring preload as a stop gap measure

also raising and lowering the fork oil height (volume) can make changes, ei: more oil = less air in the forks = stiffer (but dont put to much, hydraulic lock

is not good)

but in the end if your serious, stiffer springs is what you may have to get

Edited by kaorop

Many thanks - I'll have some 5.0 oil via a local shop next week... I've not changed the springs yet, only added Intiminators which require the higher viscosity oil.

Very happy with the result even though it is a kludge...

Cheers.

are you kidding?,

"engine oil in forks", "no problems using anything"

you may have had more sophisticated forks but it would seem you have no idea why the wrong oil is the WRONG oil.

to the op

7.5 wt will increase the damping, not the spring rate, so both compression and rebound damping will be slower

you can add spacers to give more spring preload as a stop gap measure

also raising and lowering the fork oil height (volume) can make changes, ei: more oil = less air in the forks = stiffer (but dont put to much, hydraulic lock

is not good)

but in the end if your serious, stiffer springs is what you may have to get

Help; my search for "scone test" yielded pastry!

Scone (noun)

1. small biscuit (rich with cream and eggs)cut into diamonds or sticks and baked in an oven or (especially originally) on a griddle.

"Scone Test" ??? Eating biscuits before the ride??? LOL

@DualSportBiker

Where is your mechanic located? I'm planning to change the rear spring on my bike as well as thinking changing the front springs and fork oil to 5W as suggested by other Diavel riders.

Is your mechanic competent enough to work with exotic bikes like BMW and Ducati? Would you recommend him for the above mentioned job?

Can anyone recommend a reliable suspension shop to work on my Ducati? Planning to swap the rear spring as well as the springs and oil in forks.

The rear spring is the priority so need to have at least that done.

check 'power speed shop'. most of my track buddies let their bikes checked, repaired there.

yep, exactly.

If it is something people cannot find with google search, sure i post the link too, no worries.

Contacted then on LINE and had a little chat (got someone speaking decent English).

Was told they could do front and rear suspension - good.

Was told it would take more than a day to complete everything, when asking how long, got no reply - not so good.

When asked how much, got a reply - "I need to think a little bit". Still thinking, it must be hard to decide how much to ask from a Ducati owner. whistling.gif

Me think a suspension shop knows what's involved in changing front, rear springs and forks oil and should know their rates, no? It was the end of the business day when I started getting replies so I give him that it was the end of the day.

I'll pass if I don't get a reply tomorrow and if I need to leave my bike there for more than one night.

yep, exactly.

If it is something people cannot find with google search, sure i post the link too, no worries.

Contacted then on LINE and had a little chat (got someone speaking decent English).

Was told they could do front and rear suspension - good.

Was told it would take more than a day to complete everything, when asking how long, got no reply - not so good.

When asked how much, got a reply - "I need to think a little bit". Still thinking, it must be hard to decide how much to ask from a Ducati owner. whistling.gif

Me think a suspension shop knows what's involved in changing front, rear springs and forks oil and should know their rates, no? It was the end of the business day when I started getting replies so I give him that it was the end of the day.

I'll pass if I don't get a reply tomorrow and if I need to leave my bike there for more than one night.

nope. they do a lot of bikes there mostly super bikes or track machines.

i dont think so you can get a result via line in Thailand!

so they might not know how much they need to charge from a diavel as maybe they never changed the shock of any. very normal to think without seeing the bike or the work or the shocks you would like to change.

they have business most of the time.

and believe me, these guys are dealing a lot more expensive bike than yours.

and it is one of the rare good bike shops in Thailand.

• Like 1

Good to hear they are trusted by many bikers. I read many stories when bikes gets stolen from the shops when left overnight and about good parts being swapped with used junk parts. So it's something I worry about and hope this shop is not one of the shady ones.

Good to hear they are trusted by many bikers. I read many stories when bikes gets stolen from the shops when left overnight and about good parts being swapped with used junk parts. So it's something I worry about and hope this shop is not one of the shady ones.

not power speed shop all i know.

Frankly, i have never been there as honda bigwing takes care of me well for roads and for track.

but most of my track buddies go there for complex works or party changes on their track bikes or million baht bikes.

So i am sure they can sort you out but as long as i never been there, i cannot give any guarantees or confirmation for a good job of course but all those guys going there cannot be wrong too.

Instead of communication via phone or line, i suggest you on going there and talking them face to face on what you want.

Edited by ll2

Out of country right now, can't go.

Wife called them and got a little more info out of them, shop seems too busy so they told her they will call back, that was about an hour ago.

Is there any upcoming track days that keep then so busy?

Out of country right now, can't go.

Wife called them and got a little more info out of them, shop seems too busy so they told her they will call back, that was about an hour ago.

Is there any upcoming track days that keep then so busy?

yes, this weekend there is one at Buriram track.

and BIRA is open every Monday, Thailand circuit and Kaeng Krachan is open on Sundays.

they are fixing the fork of one of my buddies right now!

• Like 1

Just saw this... Can't for the life of me remember or work out what I might have wanted to say. Needless to add, I've not found any scones...

Scone (noun)

1. small biscuit (rich with cream and eggs)cut into diamonds or sticks and baked in an oven or (especially originally) on a griddle.

Sorry mate - was not paying attention last few days...

Hard to say. I am not a good judge of mechanics. However, he is methodical, takes his time, measures and remeasures as needed, and seems like his is focused on good results. He is located on Soi Samakkee near Chaeng Wattana. PM me for details.

Cheers.

@DualSportBiker

Where is your mechanic located? I'm planning to change the rear spring on my bike as well as thinking changing the front springs and fork oil to 5W as suggested by other Diavel riders.

Is your mechanic competent enough to work with exotic bikes like BMW and Ducati? Would you recommend him for the above mentioned job?

Sorry mate - was not paying attention last few days...

Hard to say. I am not a good judge of mechanics. However, he is methodical, takes his time, measures and remeasures as needed, and seems like his is focused on good results. He is located on Soi Samakkee near Chaeng Wattana. PM me for details.

Cheers.

No problems, better late than never. ;)

I've already sent you a PM a few days back.

Just saw this... Can't for the life of me remember or work out what I might have wanted to say. Needless to add, I've not found any scones...

Scone (noun)

I took it to mean the cones (witch hats) arranged in either an s-shaped formation or inline where you weave through them. Also called a slalom test. Good way to test your suspension as it quickly loads and unloads the shock/forks.