Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues

Lite Beer

You could shut down every bar and club and still not stop prostitution , If you own a bar now would be a good time to sell.

What is prostitution?

If one lady wants to spend the night with you, of course for free it is complete legal.

If you want to give her a gift it is also complete legal

If she takes sexy clothes, that isn't illegal as well.

• Like 1

While prostitution may be illegal in Thailand, there is a big loophole in how Thailand defines prostitution:

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;"

Without the part in red, in Thailand's legal eyes it would be prostitution just for the benefit of not satisfying being horny. Well that is my take being from the US where how a law is worded is often more important than the intent which I assume when they say benefit it is to mean material or monetary benefit.

Does it matter what is illegal and what is legal in Thailand? A country with no democracy, no functioning criminal justice system, an utterly corrupt and incompetent police force etc etc etc.

What matters is the occasional power struggle, the occasional statement by somebody in power for the purpose of saving face (not for the betterment of the country) and this then prompting some sort of action that has a ridiculously small impact and is forgotten within a week.

violin.gif

• Like 1

BIB have hardened their attitude, stiffened their resolve and inserted themselves into prostitution rings. Things could get messy. But I can't see a happy ending from this.

Furthermore, this is Thailand and beef is not that common here.

I think rather than "Beef Up operations" they will more likely be "Porking it" some more!

Great news. Now get some real education and career opportunity for these vulnerable young people.

Best news I've read in years if this is real.

That would be nice. But unfortunately, most of them will be jailed and the deported back to Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia.

Does this include brothels, BJ bars, 'massage' parlors, hairdressers, karaoke's, coffee shops and pubs?

The report specifically refers to karaoke bars and restaurants, so yes. However, I don't think "BJ bars" are very common, outside tourist areas - they are not really a Thai thing!

• Like 1

Great news. Now get some real education and career opportunity for these vulnerable young people.

That would be nice. But unfortunately, most of them will be jailed and the deported back to Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia.

Or Issan?

and todays winner of the most ridiculous headline is..... drumroll please Police beef up operations against prostitution in entertainment venues Never going to happen total BS, lets move on to tomorrows ridiculous headline NEXT coffee1.gif

But we all know that nothing will change, too much money involved

• Like 1

But we all know that nothing will change, too much money involved

Well. It's not the end of the World. But you can see it from there.

While prostitution may be illegal in Thailand, there is a big loophole in how Thailand defines prostitution:

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;"

Without the part in red, in Thailand's legal eyes it would be prostitution just for the benefit of not satisfying being horny. Well that is my take being from the US where how a law is worded is often more important than the intent which I assume when they say benefit it is to mean material or monetary benefit.

Talking about prostitution in the US it is not easy. In the US every state have different laws and regulations about prostitution, sometimes every city.

In California, San Francisco prostitution is regulated and part of the "landscape".....drive 50 Km to San Jose, and it is illegal. In Los Angeles is a skilled profession, in San Diego, female cops jobs is to be undercover prostitutes to catch potential "clients"..called "solicitors" to place them in public shame....Jail, fine, and a spot on big banners placed in the city streets...Talking about the "Finest Police in the US"...

Thailand needs to learn from Las Vegas..."What happens in Las Vegas..still in Las Vegas"...and may be a good slogan for Pattaya tourism promotion

Nana, Cowboy, Patpong ... are legal entertainment venues.

Edit: As well as other areas including much of Pataya.

The venues may be legal but what of some of the activities conducted or organised within ?

Such as what? "Organised" customers drinking, girls dancing? Nothing wrong with that is there?

Don't worry, Patts and Nana/Cowboy are (for the most part) safe, they're in the less than 1% legal category, but 100% more visible category ... it's the 10's of 1,000's of illegal THAI-only bars that most foreigners never see and that are where most of these bad things go on. A large proportion of which are owned/operated by the same politicians/police/military who are policing them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around. The highly visible bars might be cracked down upon and the backstreet bars with their illegally trafficked Burmese, Lao and Cambodian girls left along.

• Like 1

Don't worry, Patts and Nana/Cowboy are (for the most part) safe, they're in the less than 1% legal category, but 100% more visible category ... it's the 10's of 1,000's of illegal THAI-only bars that most foreigners never see and that are where most of these bad things go on. A large proportion of which are owned/operated by the same politicians/police/military who are policing them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around. The highly visible bars might be cracked down upon and the backstreet bars with their illegally trafficked Burmese, Lao and Cambodian girls left along.

Except that the highly visible bars are mostly operating legally, and those that aren't are regularly 'cracked down' on!

• Like 1

Talking about prostitution in the US it is not easy. In the US every state have different laws and regulations about prostitution, sometimes every city.

In California, San Francisco prostitution is regulated and part of the "landscape".....drive 50 Km to San Jose, and it is illegal. In Los Angeles is a skilled profession, in San Diego, female cops jobs is to be undercover prostitutes to catch potential "clients"..called "solicitors" to place them in public shame....Jail, fine, and a spot on big banners placed in the city streets...Talking about the "Finest Police in the US"...

Thailand needs to learn from Las Vegas..."What happens in Las Vegas..still in Las Vegas"...and may be a good slogan for Pattaya tourism promotion

Not to get off topic but none of the places you named is prostitution legal. The only state in the US that allows any kind of prostitution is Nevada and only in some areas and Las Vegas is not one of them.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 1

and a million sexpats cried out in horror..

More like spewing coffee out their noses laughing. The " police "

either shake down these venues, or own them. It is a massive

source of revenue for them. And if there is anyone crying out

in horror , it is the Thai men, whom 95% of Thai prostitution venues

are directed at... Guess no problem for the ruling elite men however,

they all have a mia noi...cheesy.gif

A sigh of relief might be heard from Laos, Cambodia, and Burma

parents , who must be getting tired of their daughters being trafficked

into Thai karaoke bars.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

TAT will not be pleased to hear this,as that is what a lot of tourists

come here for,not just for temples,culture,food etc,if this does take

off,what will a sterile,squeaky clean Thailand be like.

regards Worgeordie

Hopefully nothing like the sleazy booze addled sexpit it is now. The locals, and farang bar owners alike, will have to put some imagination and effort into providing entertainment venues for all, instead of merely throwing up a bamboo bar stocked with upcountry farm girls for the 'quality' few. Can't bloody wait!

• Like 1

Didn't someone post quite recently that the locals were very happy with the army closing all the Thai on Thai brothels up in Whoop Whoop?