Mandatory SIM card registration in Thailand starts today

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My SIM has been registered for ages, just in case I lose the phone. But it was registered using a passport that has since been renewed. So I thought I would pop in to the True shop and get them to update the details and check that everything was in order according to the new law.

They checked my phone and showed me the SMS message saying that it was already registered. I pointed out that the ID number shown was out of date and asked if they could update it.

"Cannot". Apparently their software can only accept one ID number and there is no facility for changing it later. So I better hang on to my out of date passport, just in case I lose my phone.

Quite how that helps the police to tell who I am if my phone is used for illegal purposes, I dont know.

If I were an enterprising bar girl - just sayin' - for a couple of hundred baht I'd offer to register a SIM card for someone who doesn't want to be tracked by the Thai government.

Yes but they still know where that phone/sim is at any moment. And if you happen to be in Nana plaza or your bank or anywhere else with cameras (like all the malls) they can get a picture of you as the carrier of that phone/sim card. A bit more long winded but would we be surprised if our picture facial biometrics taken in Nana or Paragon match up with our passport number and immigration (stand on the footprints) picture biometrics. A police mainframe could do that match in seconds or minutes if it was important enough. With your passport number they then know where you are living in many cases. (Yes, I know, clever dicks always give incorrect information to immigration.) Short answer most of us can be easily tracked if it is important enough. Just don't do anything they think is that important. Most of us live boring lives. The rest just turn off their phones while buying drugs.

• 2 months later...

Is there a website where you can enter your phone number to check and see if it's already verified ?

I got my pre pay sim direct from the DTAC office in Siam Paragon and gave them full contact information some 5 years ago.

So am I registered or not ?

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

To add...

If you do this to dtac (add *9), you will get English. So,

Dtac *102*9#

Sorry don't know about true and ais

Thanks for the info.

I'd heard about that SIM registration requirement but haven't done it yet.

Here's what I get when I dial *102*9#: 08xxxxxxxx in service for xxYxxMxxD but not registered yet. The registration of number ownership's required for your benefit at any DTAC Halls and CTAC Centre.

It doesn't sound like anything threatening (for your benefit), but maybe that's just inaccurate use of the language. Opinions?

Last time I upgraded my SIM card had to provide passport and photocopy of passport at True office Big C Pattaya

I have had True Visions Platinum service for years and on one occasion they sent me a free SIM card which had to be activated at one of their offices.

On trying to get it done i was told I had to produce my work permit, explaining I was retired fell on deaf ears, no work permit no activation.

Is there a website where you can enter your phone number to check and see if it's already verified ?

I got my pre pay sim direct from the DTAC office in Siam Paragon and gave them full contact information some 5 years ago.

So am I registered or not ?

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

To add...

If you do this to dtac (add *9), you will get English. So,

Dtac *102*9#

Sorry don't know about true and ais

Thanks for the info.

I'd heard about that SIM registration requirement but haven't done it yet.

Here's what I get when I dial *102*9#: 08xxxxxxxx in service for xxYxxMxxD but not registered yet. The registration of number ownership's required for your benefit at any DTAC Halls and CTAC Centre.

It doesn't sound like anything threatening (for your benefit), but maybe that's just inaccurate use of the language. Opinions?

Thainess, because they don't want to threaten you, the government on the other hand can threaten you

go to a DTAC shop, either free standing or in a mall, and get it registered. Bring your passport and they should register it immediately

If I were an enterprising bar girl - just sayin' - for a couple of hundred baht I'd offer to register a SIM card for someone who doesn't want to be tracked by the Thai government.

Yes but they still know where that phone/sim is at any moment. And if you happen to be in Nana plaza or your bank or anywhere else with cameras (like all the malls) they can get a picture of you as the carrier of that phone/sim card. A bit more long winded but would we be surprised if our picture facial biometrics taken in Nana or Paragon match up with our passport number and immigration (stand on the footprints) picture biometrics. A police mainframe could do that match in seconds or minutes if it was important enough. With your passport number they then know where you are living in many cases. (Yes, I know, clever dicks always give incorrect information to immigration.) Short answer most of us can be easily tracked if it is important enough. Just don't do anything they think is that important. Most of us live boring lives. The rest just turn off their phones while buying drugs.

turning off the phone does not help, they can still track you sending "silent sms".

To be 100% on the safe side you would have to remove the SIM from the phone

For my AIS One2Call 3G SIM I filled out the personal information in February on

https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/

but my *151# status remained unregistered.

On April 28th I received a SMS in Thai informing about registration requirement until August 31st.

I tried *151# again and received a SMS

You've already registered your prepaid SIM for this number with IDCard/Passport No.ending with 4321. If the number is incorrect,please contact AIS Shop/Telewiz.

I haven't been in Thailand this year and haven't ever visited a AIS shop.

It definitely worked for me using the eServiceWeb only.

Edited by sabanook

I tried to register my SIM card at a DTAC shop but was unable to. The SIM card I have used to be a full size SIM and I had it trimmed up to fit my new phone which takes a micro SIM. When they cut the SIM card they cut off a number printed on it, I don't know if this is the phone number or a registration number that was printed on the card. The DTAC employee told me I would have to go to the police station and get a police report saying my SIM card was stolen or something...not worth the effort. I will just get a new SIM card if or when they actually deactivate my current one.

I tried to register my SIM card at a DTAC shop but was unable to. The SIM card I have used to be a full size SIM and I had it trimmed up to fit my new phone which takes a micro SIM. When they cut the SIM card they cut off a number printed on it, I don't know if this is the phone number or a registration number that was printed on the card. The DTAC employee told me I would have to go to the police station and get a police report saying my SIM card was stolen or something...not worth the effort. I will just get a new SIM card if or when they actually deactivate my current one.

with no doubt you encountered a complete moron at that DTAC-Center biggrin.png

usually the DTAC folks are pretty on-the-ball and know their stuff, at least here in BKK (I usually use the DTAC Center at Paragon, as they have some excellent English-speakers there)

My phone was stolen/misplaced a couple of years ago. Went to the local Dtac office where they asked me a few questions about when I last recharged, phone numbers I recently called, how long I had the number for. Gave me a new SIM on the spot, no mention of a police report. Maybe pre-paid is simpler to replace. I think it's like trying to open a bank account. If a branch says no then try another until you find one that will.

with no doubt you encountered a complete moron at that DTAC-Center biggrin.png

usually the DTAC folks are pretty on-the-ball and know their stuff, at least here in BKK (I usually use the DTAC Center at Paragon, as they have some excellent English-speakers there)

They don't need all that crap just the number it already tells them everything on the sim. they need to know.

We got two new sim with new phones last Dec. Went into dtac today and asked to reg sim as they were over the counter sim. from ralitives shop. They just snap a photo of your drivers lic or passport face page and up load it to a center with your number as text for each one and bang - both sim are reg and it took 3 minutes for both. Painless.

Just be sure to report any stolen phone asap I would say - as the number is attached to your face.

I read some news days ago that some criminals try to get private information from normal customers in public places told them we are from mobile company , with cloned application registering papers , but all its a fake stuff and your personal data the mobile company's never get !

I read some news days ago that some criminals try to get private information from normal customers in public places told them we are from mobile company , with cloned application registering papers , but all its a fake stuff and your personal data the mobile company's never get !

This guy is not crusing the plaza - I went inside the dtac shop to reg. two dtac sim cards. Unless they let just anyone walk in a work the counter along side the rest of the staff.?? that would be odd. They can fill in the data on their data base with what was uploaded - I don't think a form would be required unless they could not upload it or enter it themself at the time you reg the number to a name.

This is the trend in most countries so we've got to wear it , they ain't going to alter it only make it harder, I mean everywhere not only Thailand , it is under the disguise for terrorism, I call it control , all our families mobiles are registered , unfortunately they can hack into your number and use that , I have had first hand experience with DSI over that problem, that's why in a pending attack or under attack , they will turn off the mobile network.coffee1.gif

And they can track and make a profile of everyone who has the mobile phone in his pocket.

So they know from everyone where they stay, where they eat, what the write per email and with credit card they also know what they eat.

No big deal. Many countries doing this. When I checked *141# they already had my details and that goes for the Mrs as well. So no problem.

i registered my 2 DTAC sim cards today while in bangkok, took less than 3 minutes & registered status was shown instantly on checking with the short code *102*9#

They do not need remove sim from phone, all they do is dial a shortcode so sim number & details shown on screen then take picture of phone screen & picture of ID to pair with it.

Just be sure your phone accepts short dial codes (test with *102*9# )

I had one old sim which cut smaller than nano which goes in a single sim to 2 sim adaptor so was expecting some hassle if needed sim out of phone but no need & painless experience.

I used DTAC Service Centre on Ground floor of Chamchuri Square (walk in from Sam-Yan MRT)

If you get problems like people above then try other DTAC shops as some staff are complete lemons & they rather palm you off with the old need 'police report to replace sim tale' rather than admitting they too stupid or lazy to work at your specific situation.

The reason for this registration to much problem with criminal people , in a travel book I read one time there are some place in thailand where every tourist must register there imei

But in times of imei faker or VoIP app where I can use and register any this number and have this caller id a lifetime also when simcard does not exists anymore!

Then the problem still not solved!

The bad boys are also not stupid. !

^ makes no difference on imei as the sim in question also has a serial plus the network system can cross reference both sim serial & phone imei & see what it been used on for well over a year even if only used for few seconds connection it will be logged in system .

Any criminal will be using used mobile or pick up a cheap brand one for cash at a street shop. As for sims they will either use foreign sim or pick up a thai sim registered to someone one random, Thais have loads of sims & easy get one, I got one this week on DTAC as unwanted , it registered as checked & had bit of credit so I extended the validity & will keep it as spare or sell it on a KhaoSan road street corner lol.

Registering is useful but certainly pointless for organised criminals.

• 1 month later...

I'm out of the country and won't be back until late August. There is an online registration site for Android and desktop systems using Google Chrome. (http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/service/sim-registration.html)

1) Has anybody used the online reg site (from out of country)?

2) What will happen to my phone number/SIM card if I don't register it by July 31? Lose it or just disabled until I register?)

Edited by Inn Between

I'm out of the country and won't be back until late August. There is an online registration site for Android and desktop systems using Google Chrome. (http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/service/sim-registration.html)

1) Has anybody used the online reg site (from out of country)?

2) What will happen to my phone number/SIM card if I don't register it by July 31? Lose it or just disabled until I register?)

In case it's of help to anybody, I was able to successfully register my SIM from abroad using the above website. The process is well-designed and uses a combination of forms and video hookup where they capture the images they need to meet gov't requirements. The young lady I dealt with was competent (both generally and in English) as well as being friendly.

Edited by Inn Between

• 2 weeks later...

I registered my AIS SIM years ago in Bangkok.

Last year I had to swap out that SIM for a new one (same MSISDN). I did that in Korat.

Recently I lost my SIM (evidently I dropped it while swapping to my Saudi Arabia SIM on the airplane). I went to the AIS shop in The Mall Korat...no problem, no police report, no paperwork.

I do recall my wife needing a police report to replace a lost SIM several years ago. I thought it was stupid then...no crime was committed, what is it to do with the police?

Edited by mgjackson69