Mandatory SIM card registration in Thailand starts today

Jonathan Fairfield

Mandatory SIM card registration in Thailand starts today

702x336xPrepaid-Mobile-SIM--702x336.jpg.

BANGKOK:-- Anyone that has a prepaid SIM in their Thai mobile MUST register their SIM card between today, February 1st, and the end of July. Failure to do so means your mobile number will unable to use data or make calls when the deadline passes.
The rules are being enforced by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), and anyone that has a prepaid SIM card in Thailand must provide their personal details before July 31st. This does not apply to those people on contracts, as their details are already captured.
The new rules start today on February 1st, after which users will have 6 months to provide their personal details (name, ID, and of course the phone number in question). Failure to do so means that you will be unable to make outgoing calls, text or use data by the end of the deadline. However, you will still be able to receive calls.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a website where you can enter your phone number to check and see if it's already verified ?

I got my pre pay sim direct from the DTAC office in Siam Paragon and gave them full contact information some 5 years ago.

So am I registered or not ?

Is there a website where you can enter your phone number to check and see if it's already verified ?

I got my pre pay sim direct from the DTAC office in Siam Paragon and gave them full contact information some 5 years ago.

does your phone still work? if so, then yes, for now :)

I think that any 'registration' they did 5 years ago was all a bit arbitrary. I had an issue with an older AIS data SIM last year and the AIS customer service girl on the phone advised me that as well as exchanging my SIM for a new one at their shop, I should also register it. When I offered my passport at Telewiz, the girl took a look at it but I can't honestly say she input any data from it into their system.

You have 6 months to make time to drop by DTAC office and make sure though!

This is the trend in most countries so we've got to wear it , they ain't going to alter it only make it harder, I mean everywhere not only Thailand , it is under the disguise for terrorism, I call it control , all our families mobiles are registered , unfortunately they can hack into your number and use that , I have had first hand experience with DSI over that problem, that's why in a pending attack or under attack , they will turn off the mobile network.coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

I saw something on Thai social media the other day that said you can check if your SIM is registered by dialing

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

I just tried the AiS number, response (in Thai only) that my phone is registered smile.png

Evidently the registration database from last time is still valid.

does your phone still work? if so, then yes, for now smile.png

But many folks SIMs which are not registered will continue to work thru 31 July without being registered just as they work now. 1 Feb is just the date which the registration windows opens.

When I came to TH a few years ago, a friend gave me an old mobile phone with a pre-paid SIM card for me to use - he had several phones and did not use that one, so donated it to me for free.

I started to use that phone and never bothered to get a new SIM card, just topping up with money. I did "upgrade" the phone to a newer dumb model - Nokia with 2-inch screen! I only use it for speech & occasional SMS. No WiFi, no internet, nothing smart (I have a separate tablet for that). I like it because it is tiny, has long battery life (no big screen or WiFi), and slips into my smallest pocket.

Question - as the SIM has (presumably) been registered when it was first bought by my friend from True, can I assume that it will keep on working?

Either way, I'll see what happens in August ....

I registered mine the last time there was a 'mandatory' registration.

Anyone want to bet if they still have my info on file?

Edit: Just tried the *141# number, but got a message back in Thai (how very Thai of them to not even consider that foreigners may have phones too). Guess I will have to wait for the GF to wake up. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by WhizBang

i have two numbers AIS and DTAC, neither are registered. neither company has contacted me advising me how to register my number.

you'd think they'd be on the ball with this as it is in their interest to ensure that all numbers are registered otherwise when the numbers are cancelled they will lose revenue.

Call Dtac, ask them, they will tell you, easy.

I registered mine the last time there was a 'mandatory' registration.

Anyone want to bet if they still have my info on file?

Edit: Just tried the *141# number, but got a message back in Thai (how very Thai of them to not even consider that foreigners may have phones too). Guess I will have to wait for the GF to wake up. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What is really very Thai is that all the phone companies have a phone number(!) that can be called where the staff speak English and they will answer any questions, in English.

i have two numbers AIS and DTAC, neither are registered. neither company has contacted me advising me how to register my number.

you'd think they'd be on the ball with this as it is in their interest to ensure that all numbers are registered otherwise when the numbers are cancelled they will lose revenue.

It's doubtful that the revenue loss to Dtac and AIS when they cut you off will have any effect at all. They probably assume that the publicity given to this issue a few weeks ago informing customers how to register was enough, or if it is still unclear that those customers who couldn't work it out, i.e. go to the relevant company's shop, will call and ask how to do it.

I guess we just have to wait for an SMS which will explain the procedure ...

Have you ever dropped an SMS into Google Translate to switch from Thai to English ? The result is interesting to say the least rolleyes.gif

BTW for true you can use www.truemove-h.com/iservice to check

Edited by rubl

True *151#

AIS *141#

dtac *102#

I just tried the AiS number, response (in Thai only) that my phone is registered smile.png

Evidently the registration database from last time is still valid.

The message I received with AIS is as follows:

ได้รับมูลจดทะเบียนแสดงตนของคุณเรียบร้อยแล้ว

Which I understand means that my number is still registered (from the days when Thaksin introduced this measure to counter terrorist bombers)

If this is a law to prevent terrorists using a mobile phone as a detinating device, then a stolen phone could be used. No, this is a law to eavesdrop on calls and to track down ppl posting anti government protests on the social media. Similar to the patriots act in the US. Big brother knows who you are.

Edit: Just tried the *141# number, but got a message back in Thai (how very Thai of them to not even consider that foreigners may have phones too). Guess I will have to wait for the GF to wake up.

What is really very Thai is that all the phone companies have a phone number(!) that can be called where the staff speak English and they will answer any questions, in English.

If you can navigate through all the touch tone menus, press the right buttons when instructed to (in Thai, usually- or very poor Thenglish IF you're lucky), then hope you don't end up in an endless loop where you're back to the first menu choice...

Ask me how I found that out.

Saved a ton of grief by just handing my phone to one of the nice (and extremely competent) ladies that works in my office. Done and dusted in 30 seconds.

Edited by impulse

Which I understand means that my number is still registered (from the days when Thaksin introduced this measure to counter terrorist bombers)

Yes, that's the message I received.

NOTE Thai language permitted in this case.

If this is a law to prevent terrorists using a mobile phone as a detinating device, then a stolen phone could be used. No, this is a law to eavesdrop on calls and to track down ppl posting anti government protests on the social media. Similar to the patriots act in the US. Big brother knows who you are.

Germany since 2004 and Switserland since 2010 (?) have made registration of prepaid SIMs a requirement by Law. Lots of other Eurpean Countries considering the same (or may already require). Just read a (Dutch) report from October 2014 with the police asking for such requirement as "mostly criminals would use such SIM's" and the MoJ having the issue under consideration.

BTW from the description of the Law it's not easy to determine whether it is aimed at terrorists, criminals or just to make police work easier.

It also has the added benefit of being able to identify prank or heavy breathing callers.

Yes, that's the message I received.

NOTE Thai language permitted in this case.

"Information has been successfully registered your presence."

Google translate, but 'understandable' wink.png