London's population hits 8.6m record high

webfact

London's population hits 8.6m record high

(BBC) London's population has topped 8.6m, the highest since its 1939 peak, the Greater London Authority has revealed.

The figures show Hillingdon has had the greatest growth in population, while 44% of the city's people are now of black or ethnic minority origins.

Mayor Boris Johnson said the figure was predicted to reach 11m by 2050.

He added the capital was the "best big city on the planet" but said more financial control was needed to fund key infrastructure, like housing.

London covers a total area of 1,572 sq km (607 sq m) with a population density of 5,197 Londoners per sq km, making it the largest city in Europe.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-31082941

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-02-02

Hillingdon the biggest growth. Now there's a surprise.

biggrin.png

One of the big problem areas for beds in sheds. Rogue migrant landlords exploiting other migrants is the standard pattern.

Story here from the London Evening Standard

A family of six were found living in an illegally-built outhouse the size of two living rooms during a crackdown on beds in sheds.

Landlord Virendra Patel, 58, built the structure four years ago in a London suburb without getting planning permission from Brent council.

He concealed it from planning officers and leased it to the family of six, who lived without paying council tax in five tiny rooms crammed into the 48 metre-square outbuilding in Kingsbury, north west London.

*Edited for Fair Use

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/beds-in-sheds-clampdown-finds-family-of-six-living-in-tiny-outhouse-9077392.html

Edited by Scott
Edited for fair use

44% are minorities. Doesn't sound like they will be the minority for long.

So long Europe. It's been real nice knowing you.

London has been an immigrant sponge for two thousand years. It is easily already the greatest city in the world - and within fifteen years the immigrant boom will see the Uk, led by London, as by far and away the largest economy in Europe.

• Like 2

London has been an immigrant sponge for two thousand years. It is easily already the greatest city in the world - and within fifteen years the immigrant boom will see the Uk, led by London, as by far and away the largest economy in Europe.

The only economy that is booming in the UK is the Black Economy.

But you are correct. It has been the immigrant population that has caused it to boom.

That's a very twisted view - I'm delighted that you live in Thailand - you are no loss.

But you are correct. It has been the immigrant population that has caused it to boom.

That's a very twisted view - I'm delighted that you live in Thailand - you are no loss.

Twisted view ? No its a very true view.

But as that is your best comeback, that suggests that you are part of the Black Economy.

Sending most of your money back to one of the Balkan States are we ?

I am also delighted that I live in Thailand. Great weather, food and lifestyle.

Save a fortune in taxes. UK that loses out, not me.

• Like 1

He concealed it from planning officers and leased it to the family of six, who lived without paying council tax .....

Behold, the real motivation for the council wanting to crack down on all this (imo)

The council doesn't like that other gangsters are raking in 'cash for a roof' monies instead.

Greatest Shittthole City in the world - lol right.

London is somewhere in this list but a long way from the top.

A miserable cold, dirty, grey and smelly city....perhaps it's at the top of that list?

Edited by neverdie

Hillingdon the biggest growth. Now there's a surprise.

biggrin.png

One of the big problem areas for beds in sheds. Rogue migrant landlords exploiting other migrants is the standard pattern.

Story here from the London Evening Standard

A family of six were found living in an illegally-built outhouse the size of two living rooms during a crackdown on beds in sheds.

Landlord Virendra Patel, 58, built the structure four years ago in a London suburb without getting planning permission from Brent council.

He concealed it from planning officers and leased it to the family of six, who lived without paying council tax in five tiny rooms crammed into the 48 metre-square outbuilding in Kingsbury, north west London.

*Edited for Fair Use

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/beds-in-sheds-clampdown-finds-family-of-six-living-in-tiny-outhouse-9077392.html

This can't possibly be legal! and should be Bulldozed immediately!

Edited by MAJIC

I hope I never have to return.....What a cold/ grey/ expensive/ stressful shithole.

Congratulations once again England....you have gone from the top to the bottom of the pile in less than 50 years...

It's depressing me to think about it!

Why so upset? you done a runner didn't you? so no problem eh! and no need to be depressed.

Does anyone really believe that the population of London is only 8.6 Million ?

The headline should have said 8.6 Million registered inhabitants.

And heaven knows how many illegal immigrants are the great unknowns!

Greatest Shittthole City in the world - lol right.

London is somewhere in this list but a long way from the top.

A miserable cold, dirty, grey and smelly city....perhaps it's at the top of that list?

Seems like you're bored with life ?

• Like 1

I loved living in London. Awesome city. Mostly maligned by people who've barely visited the place for some odd reason.

Awful place. Lived and worked there many times. No thanks.

Regards,

Simple Country Boy.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 2

I'm a country boy too. I love living in cities, though.

Another thing I find weird is how often London haters are seemingly compelled to tell you they dislike the place whenever it's mentioned online.

SB, I think you'll find there's a neat correlation between the people in question and those who hate Pattaya / the Thai people / pretty much everyone who doesnt look and sound like them. Haters gonna hate, but they're entitled to their opinion.

Oh don't pick on poor old Jock.

He's only calling a shovel a spade.

• Like 1

I'm a country boy too. I love living in cities, though.

Another thing I find weird is how often London haters are seemingly compelled to tell you they dislike the place whenever it's mentioned online.

I heard that there is a referendum on the next ballot because the natives of England want to move it to rural Texas where it's warm and not crowded. The problem is that England is so tiny, if it was actually placed in Texas, no one would ever be able to find it again.

• Like 1

I loved living in London. Awesome city. Mostly maligned by people who've barely visited the place for some odd reason.

Also lived and worked there many times but cannot anymore as I no longer speak the language and I don't accept their religion.

• Like 2