Constant glucose monitor, CGM

cooked

I know this has been asked before, but I intend to get a CGM for my wife, she really hates pricking her finger (I have to do it)  and I can't adequately explain to her that eating carbs raises your blood sugar. Apart from Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok I have been unable to find anywhere in Thailand that will get her fixed up. We live 6 hours drive from BKK, Buriram. 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, cooked said:

I know this has been asked before, but I intend to get a CGM for my wife, she really hates pricking her finger (I have to do it)  and I can't adequately explain to her that eating carbs raises your blood sugar. Apart from Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok I have been unable to find anywhere in Thailand that will get her fixed up. We live 6 hours drive from BKK, Buriram. 

Thanks.

Is she diabetic? Carbs raise blood sugar in everyone. It's normal. 

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

CGM generally isn't recommended by doctors unless there is a specific need. I know my friend in Paris wanted to a glucose monitor but couldn't find a doctor willing to prescribe it.

You mean to say CGM isn't always paid for by Europe's (tax-funded or social security) health systems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

No, he has private insurance. They told him he didn't need it  because he wasn't diabetic

Indeed no doctor will prescribe this for a non-diabetic and absurd for one to want one.

I think we can assume OP's wife is diabetic.

CGM is little used in Thailand and other than a few private hospitals I do nto know where one can get it.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Indeed no doctor will prescribe this for a non-diabetic and absurd for one to want one.

CGM is little used in Thailand and other than a few private hospitals I do nto know where one can get it.

Apparentlty, this is a new trend and there are even "glucose consultants" to interpret the results.  My friend, for instance, who is non-diabetic, feels there is value in seeing what affect different foods have on his glucose levels so he can tweak his diet to avoid unhealthy spikes.  CNBC has a news story about the the rise of this market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYy1zEHvXZ4

Here's a Twitter thread that discusses the pros and cons

https://twitter.com/BradStanfieldMD/status/1706000812097642776

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Apparentlty, this is a new trend and there are even "glucose consultants" to interpret the results.  My friend, for instance, who is non-diabetic, feels there is value in seeing what affect different foods have on his glucose levels so he can tweak his diet to avoid unhealthy spikes.  CNBC has a news story about the the rise of this market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYy1zEHvXZ4

Here's a Twitter thread that discusses the pros and cons

https://twitter.com/BradStanfieldMD/status/1706000812097642776

image.png.a3ee163770afaf07e2b4060968738abc.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Constant Glucose Monitors are a great tool for those who wish to see how they react to different types of foods, irrespective of whether they're diabetic or not. There are different types of carbs and sugars. Some people may react badly to fructose (commonly found in fruit and honey amongst other things), for example, with their blood sugar surging while others can eat the same thing and don't react quite the same. If you are really keen to understand how the different foods you eat affect your blood sugar and thus your body overall, and have the money to buy one, CGMs can be a very useful tool indeed to see what you react to.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gargamon said:

Hahaha. Medical advice from Tiktok. Hahaha 

The guy wears the monitor, tries different food and checks for results, The origins of the social media post are irrelevant. You have been added to ignore.

Edited by lexxy

Some people have way, way too much time on their hands and , as the Thais say, "think too much".

If your HB1Ac is well within normal range and you are not overweight or have an excessive waist circumference,  then your body is coping just fine with your diet and it really does not matter that your glucose goes up more rapidly after certain foods than others. That is a normal temporary occurrence (and useful at certain times).

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Some people have way, way too much time on their hands and , as the Thais say, "think too much".

If your HB1Ac is well within normal range and you are not overweight or have an excessive waist circumference,  then your body is coping just fine with your diet and it really does not matter that your glucose goes up more rapidly after certain foods than others. That is a normal temporary occurrence (and useful at certain times).

My wife is diabetic and I don't find it normal that she is being told to not bother about what food she eats. She doesn't understand what carbohydrates are and this is why I want to enable her to check up on her blood sugar without the finger prick which she hates. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, threw the meds away and through lowering my carb intake drastically got my levels down to 'normal'. I don't think that this is 'thinking too much'.

It's not a hobby 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, Celsius said:

You can get an implant on Lazada.... around 3000b

Yes I know. So I put it in place myself, probably reading a badly translated instruction manual? First time, I want a professional to do it.

9 minutes ago, cooked said:

My wife is diabetic and I don't find it normal that she is being told to not bother about what food she eats. She doesn't understand what carbohydrates are and this is why I want to enable her to check up on her blood sugar without the finger prick which she hates. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, threw the meds away and through lowering my carb intake drastically got my levels down to 'normal'. I don't think that this is 'thinking too much'.

It's not a hobby 

I wasn't responding to you nor referring to anyone who is diabetic or pre-diabetic.  I was responding to prior posts about a trend  of non-diabetics with no health issues doing CGM simply because they want to know how their body reacts to different foods. Which is way over the top IMO. 

If you were pre-diabetic then by defintition your Hb1Ac would not have been "well within normal range".

6 hours ago, cooked said:

It's not a hobby 

There are currently smart watches on the market that purport to monitor blood glucose (such as K watch), though their accuracy has been questioned. Apple is working on its own CMB but it will probably be a while before it comes to market.  Dexcom makes a glucose monitor that attaches to the arm with micropines, so it doesn't require constant pricing of the finger. It can also transmit the results to some smartphones.

18 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

There are currently smart watches on the market that purport to monitor blood glucose (such as K watch), though their accuracy has been questioned. Apple is working on its own CMB but it will probably be a while before it comes to market.  Dexcom makes a glucose monitor that attaches to the arm with micropines, so it doesn't require constant pricing of the finger. It can also transmit the results to some smartphones.

Thanks. I'll wait a year or two on that, I watched :  which indicates that these aren't suitable for following short term trends