Thai National Parks ordered to charge foreigners tenfold

webfact

Many here do not seem to understand.

Yes, the price a foreigner is charged is often a great value for the experience.

It is not a question of if you can afford to pay a higher price than others.

The question is, should you support the system of blatant discrimination and exploitation no matter how "cheap" it is to get in.

If this bothers you,, and it should, show your disgust by keeping your wallet closed.

Don't support these parks and attractions.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish people would stop calling Thailand a Third World country. It definitely isn't....only the mentality is Third World.

I went to a travel fair where the aquarium had a booth selling discounted tickets so I thought I'd buy some tickets. They told me only for Thai people. At the same fair I was going to buy some dinner cruise tickets for visiting friends but they were a higher price for foreigners so of the four or five companies operating the cruises I chose the ones who didn't try to rip me off.

According to wikipedia, there are two things all third world countries have in common:

1) A corrupt government.

2) A lack of a middle class.

I think Thailand qualifies on both counts.

The one thing that pleases me about this topic is that I wont be meeting up with any of you lot when in a national park.

The parks are better off without you lot, sit behind your keyboards and whinge.

Yeah, because ignoring discrimination and prejudicial practices (on any level) is clearly taking the moral high ground. Edited by Bluespunk

I guarantee that the majority of dumb tourists, if not all, won`t complain and will still consider 400 baht as a cheap day out. It won`t put them off. The National Parks know this. As long as there are the hordes willing and able to pay inflated prices way and above the normal Thai rates, then this practice will continue. As for ex-pats living here, the amounts we spend on visiting tourist attractions is a drop in the ocean and insignificant, they couldn`t care less.

I guarantee that the majority of dumb tourists, if not all, won`t complain and will still consider 400 baht as a cheap day out. It won`t put them off. The National Parks know this. As long as there are the hordes willing and able to pay inflated prices way and above the normal Thai rates, then this practice will continue. As for ex-pats living here, the amounts we spend on visiting tourist attractions is a drop in the ocean and insignificant, they couldn`t care less.

I've done just about all the visiting here that costs money so it's no big deal to me. Most of it wasn't worth it.

Personally, I wish they'd drop admission prices in Britain for places like Tower, Buck Palace and St Pauls (which shouldn't have an admission fee anyway). They should drop it for British Citizens born in the UK and double/treble it for tourists. They won't lose any tourists because UK has some of the greatest tourist sites in the world and the tourists can afford it.

I've done just about all the visiting here that costs money so it's no big deal to me. Most of it wasn't worth it.

Personally, I wish they'd drop admission prices in Britain for places like Tower, Buck Palace and St Pauls (which shouldn't have an admission fee anyway). They should drop it for British Citizens born in the UK and double/treble it for tourists. They won't lose any tourists because UK has some of the greatest tourist sites in the world and the tourists can afford it.

I'd Be ashamed If My country charged non natives extra for visiting tourist sites. Why should they pay more?

I wish people would stop calling Thailand a Third World country. It definitely isn't....only the mentality is Third World.

I went to a travel fair where the aquarium had a booth selling discounted tickets so I thought I'd buy some tickets. They told me only for Thai people. At the same fair I was going to buy some dinner cruise tickets for visiting friends but they were a higher price for foreigners so of the four or five companies operating the cruises I chose the ones who didn't try to rip me off.

According to wikipedia, there are two things all third world countries have in common:

1) A corrupt government.

2) A lack of a middle class.

I think Thailand qualifies on both counts.

I'd Be ashamed If My country charged non natives extra for visiting tourist sites. Why should they pay more?

To give people who deserve to see their heritage a chance as many can't afford it.

I'd be proud of them if they had the balls to do it.

The one thing that pleases me about this topic is that I wont be meeting up with any of you lot when in a national park.

The parks are better off without you lot, sit behind your keyboards and whinge.

Yeah, because ignoring discrimination and prejudicial practices (on any level) is clearly taking the moral high ground.
and it encourages more discrimination also.

To give people who deserve to see their heritage a chance as many can't afford it.

We should be making our heritage open And fairly priced for everyone! Charging more for non nativez is discrimination and not something that should ever Be promoted.

I would love to see a blanket charge on Thai people ONLY to visit the national parks in my country, which are free for everyone, visitors included. 4,000 baht equivalent per Thai head ought to do it, taking into account quality of services and perfect upkeep.

And a sign outside the Tower of London:

Thai nationals 100 pounds.

Everyone else 10 pounds.

Under 80cm tall free unless Thai national then same as adult.

A foreign tourist has already shown their support of the country they are visiting and spending their hard earned cash on hotels, food, souvenirs, bus &/or train &/or air travel etc. And after doing all that the country 'rewards' them with discriminatory pricing at national parks as well many other tourist attractions.

Welcome to Thailand.

A foreign tourist has already shown their support of the country they are visiting and spending their hard earned cash on hotels, food, souvenirs, bus &/or train &/or air travel etc. And after doing all that the country 'rewards' them with discriminatory pricing at national parks as well many other tourist attractions.

Welcome to Thailand.

All just part of the discover Thainess campaign they are pushing.

I took a ferry to an island off the coast of Mumbai. At the dock you had a choice of paying for a litter/sedan chair to be carried up hundreds of steps to a museum at the top of the hill. I walked. The admission price was 10X more for foreigners than for locals. I walked back down without entering/paying.

Brilliant move. Top notch thinking as usual. I myself have an idea for a cost cutting measure for Thailand. They could make one large department, called the Ministry of Ass Clowns. Then they could take the heads of all these other departments, and centralize the location, administration and security of all important ass clowns. Think of the savings!

Problem is that most Filipinos, Malaysians, Indonesians, Laotians, Burmese, Cambodians, Chinese and even Japanese and Koreans among other generic Asians get the local price too if they shut their mouths and smile.

That's because this is top-down racism at its best. They don't really mean 'foreigners,' they mean 'farang:' i.e. anyone different from us--specifically white and black. Remember, they don't call other Asians 'farang' in Thailand.

555. Don't charge more, just offer a 90 percent "local discount".

Pretty clever. In a way this is what the Swiss do (you do buy the 50% discount but it's not worth it if you are only a short time visitor).

Still discriminatory practice...

As a young snotty nosed kid and then with my own snotty nosed children, the sights and attractions of old London town was a wonderful experience and well affordable, most of it for free. The pigeons of Trafalgar Square (that has now gone) the museums, splendid parks, the numerous zoos, Kew Gardens and so on. We used to buy a cheap one day bus pass, no way better to see London than from the top of a double decker bus.

I am becoming tired of Thailand`s attitude of we are a poor country, you rich farlang, you pay for everything and you pay more. Even I, having been here many years and speak reasonable Thai, they still try it on with me on occasions. Every time I make a purchase here I need to be alert and on my guard to avoid being ripped off.

I do believe that those who are here as retirees, bringing their money over from abroad and can fulfil all the requirements of the Immigration departments should be given some concessions, discount deals and same price as Thais access to certain venues, part of a package deal, because in fact those on retirement who are imposed to keep 800000 baht in a Thai bank and spending their money over here are offered nothing except that we can live cheaper over here, but over the years the gaps between cost of living expenditure in the west and in Thailand has narrowed. Thailand no longer appears to be a viable final grazing ground destination it used to be or as many are led to believe.

And before anyone says; if I don`t like it, I can sod off somewhere else, the answer is no, I`m not going.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I would love to see a blanket charge on Thai people ONLY to visit the national parks in my country, which are free for everyone, visitors included. 4,000 baht equivalent per Thai head ought to do it, taking into account quality of services and perfect upkeep.

And a sign outside the Tower of London:

Thai nationals 100 pounds.

Everyone else 10 pounds.

Under 80cm tall free unless Thai national then same as adult.

555... I have considered putting up a sign at my wife's guesthouse that says: Rooms for Rent - Thai's 3000, Farang 1500.

We should be making our heritage open And fairly priced for everyone! Charging more for non nativez is discrimination and not something that should ever Be promoted.

Yes and Yes.

Whatever happened to "if you cannot afford it, don't buy it?"

Besides, tell me one attraction in the UK that a local cannot afford?

It is a shameless discriminatory policy. There is no point in explaining

why discrimination is wrong to someone who does not see it.

If you're an American, what you're claiming is not true. US National Parks currently charge up to $25 for admission.

Arrogance of a third world country is astounding.

Arrogance has never been the issue. It is stupidity and greed.

"It is stupidity and greed."

Interesting comment on a forum visited by economic refugees many of whom can't afford to live in their own countries because they didn't plan well for their retirement or who are unqualified and/or unable to find employment in those same countries that are collapsing under debt used to pay for things they were unwilling or unable to fund out of pocket.

If something is priced too high for you, don't use it or buy it. Time for some of the economic refugees from Farang Utopia to move on or stay away ... one more reason to raise prices.

As far as arrogance is concerned, there's plenty of that in Farang Land. Why anyone should expect "third world" counties to bend over and spread their legs to cater to Khun Farang being an excellent example of the vestiges of colonial arrogant mentality.

Just a couple of quick questions for you Somtwit ...

Did you have any friends back home in your country 'Farang Utopia'?

Or is this the reason you sort other 'counties'?

Why do you continue to use this forum when all you do is bitch at other foreigners? You do know this is a forum where foreigners will praise or complain about their hosts, don't you?

Is your life so lacking that this is a daily, well-looked-forward to, sad, little routine you simply have to go through everyday to feel some kind of worth?

Maybe it is you that should 'stay away'.