Supporters, Protesters Of Thaksin Clash At Central World

george

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening Ricardo. Interesting that you bring that up... because I was having a brief chat with my friend's wife, who is a local attorney, today during our match regarding what can and cannot (legally) be said if you happen to be protesting. Perhaps Samran or one of the board's legal eagles could provide more insight. "Thaksin auk pai! I dislike Thaksin! Don't vote for TRT!" would all be fine examples of expression of free speech. Apparently though (or not, especially if you come from a country with more liberal interpretations of what free speech is), you can't say things like "Thaksin is a murderer! Thaksin kai chart! Thai pan hoon!" which would be considered min pramart (I assume this is 'slander' in legal terms?).

Interesting. So if feeling himself slandered, Thaksin can bring his usual 1 Billion Baht court case, and need not send in the formerly-armed ex-drug-dealing police-informers, to beat up the child/woman/old-man (delete as appropriate). Presumably "I think Thaksin is a crook" would be acceptable - since it only expresses a personal opinion - while "Thaksin is a crook" as a statement of fact might be viewed as slanderous

We didn't get too much farther into it, as rain was threatening and we had to finish our match..... but I think it may be safe to assume that during these protests, not everyone is sticking to the 'cleaner' messages they wish to express about TRT and/or Thaksin or vica versa about Abhisit or the Democrats during their rallies Which would include throwing bricks - by TRT supporters ?.

I think it might also explain why not every local thinks it is clear cut who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in these various confrontations. Like in many issues, there are going to be cultural differences in how various Thais view these things as to how various foreigners view them.

Which is useful to have pointed out , by a Thai, since I'm sure that my own view IS coloured by my own cultural background, where incidentally we have no constitution to refer to, but only a long slowly-built-up history of what is or isn't considered acceptable action. So we may be more sensitive to,or critical of, what we see as inappropriate action.

7:16:34' post='862598']

maninblack.jpg

The infamous "man in black", Charan Chong-on, goes plaid.

I've heard of 'gangsta-rap', presumably this is 'gangsta-style' ? Does it include illegal arms, a small 'stash' or a police-'wire', do you think ?? :o

Edited by Ricardo

Assault suspects fingered as 'errand boys' used by the government

A security veteran yesterday identified two men who surrendered to face assault charges in connection with clashes at the CentralWorld Plaza shopping complex as underlings of a government figure. Pol Lt-Col Santhana Prayoonrat, former deputy chief of Special Branch Police, said the men, Charan Chong-on and Chaisit Lomoh, worked for a close aide to Mr Thaksin. They were not the right-hand-man kind but were usually called on to run errands, he said. ''They might have been there on their own but there's no denial that they have connections with people in the government,'' he said. He said he knew both of them and they knew him too. A police source said the suspects also worked for a police general who has close ties to Pol Gen Priewphan Damapong, brother of Khunying Potjaman, Mr Thaksin's wife. A local politician in Surat Thani said Charan was a former canvasser for the Thai Rak Thai Party candidate in the province.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Aug2006_news02.php

Edited by sriracha john

State complicity in mall clashes

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has always held the Press in deep distrust, claiming the media are biased against him. Thus his refusal, despite persistent requests from reporters, to comment on the clashes between his supporters and opponents at two Bangkok shopping malls last Saturday and on Monday. Mr Thaksin's attempt to dodge questions about the two unsightly incidents might also have stemmed from the embarrassing evidence of apparent complicity of certain state mechanisms in the commission of violence by thuggish elements at a shopping mall on Monday. These incidents could have been prevented, and the unbecoming conduct of policemen at the scene who did nothing to stop these thugs from beating up their opponents is highly disturbing. Equally disturbing has been the prime minister's reluctance to condemn the thuggish elements who started the violence. So it came as no surprise that the police are deemed by the anti-Thaksin camp and critics to be siding with the Thaksin supporters. Hence, the tough talk by police about pursuing the wrongdoers and Mr Thaksin's instructions for the police to strictly enforce the law amounts to nothing but a belated means to try to salvage the image of suspected complicity of law enforcers in the violence. The two recent incidents were not the first of their kind between Mr Thaksin's admirers and detractors. In March,

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Aug2006_news19.php

I am saddened by your comment implying that a five year old child could "pick a fight".

I suppose you aren't condemning the parents of said minor using their child to promote their own political views? Or are you implying that a five year old child would come up with anti-TRT phrases all on his/her own?

:o

Heng. I'm still interested in hearing if you will join me in condemning the vicious and criminal assaults on a 5 year old child, a woman and an old man. You seem quite interested in stating what is identifying th exact terms that can be legally chanted in a public place, so I am sure you must be concerned about the protection of children. Anyway I would be interested to hear on this from you.

By the way if you have a kid you'll realise catchy phrases are easily picked up by children.

Disturbing excerpts from:

Police deny role in assaults as upcountry rallies banned

Sound recordings revealed that a police colonel, identified as Pol Col Rithirong Thepchanda, a senior Metropolitan Police officer, instructed the men [Charan Chong-orn and Chaisit Lomah] to apprehend a protester.

The two men in the video surrendered to police on Tuesday, but were released after being interrogated and fingerprinted. Charan Chong-orn and Chaisit Lomah denied they were police officers and denied all wrongdoing.

In a possible move to derail plans by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to stage a nationwide demonstration next week, the Interior Ministry yesterday ordered all provincial governors to thwart all future demonstrations against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or face severe disciplinary action.

The caretaker government signaled yesterday that harsh repercussions may await PAD demonstrations. Caretaker Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wanthana yesterday reiterated that no police officers were involved in the violent clashes. However, at his monthly meeting with governors, conducted via video teleconference, ACM Kongsak instructed them to ensure that no anti-Thaksin protests occur in their province or they would face disciplinary action for incompetence.

- ThaiDay

http://www.ihtthaiday.com/IHT/ViewNews.asp...D=9490000107668

Edited by sriracha john

This is a facinating thread on Thailands evolution. We see "western" influenced protests and concepts of free speech and the old guards concept of face and duty.

The Police General was doing his "duty" of covering up the facts and following orders from his superiors. He and the thugs are preserving the"face" of the PM.

We would do well not to forget Thailands centuries old values, both positive and negative and how many moderate people still find western style insult and confrontation ugly and reprehensible.

You mess with peoples face here at great personal risk as we all know.

This is why Thais love the guilty pleasure of seeing the high and mighty slip on the cosmic banana skin and fall from a great height now and again. As long as it's not yourself!

Ego is personal identity and the gulf between the fragile egos that are instilled in childhood and the non-ego of a true buddhist is deep and wide. (Which is also why it is so respected) Learn and wonder....

Good insight and a great post seri thai.

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :o ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

What do you mean alias? Wasn't he named as Charon Chong-on? (a misspell or mistranslation apparently, my husband said the name in the Thai papers was Thong-on). Anyway, seeing as how he is a Surat Thani native either he is being paid (the province is famous for being a source of guns for hire) or he's a dead man when he returns home. Well, maybe not dead, maybe beaten up, but then again, knowing the reputation Surat has, maybe dead.

Anyway, old man river, freedom of speech can take place anywhere as long as people are peaceable. Not sure why it would matter if it was in a shopping center or not, they weren't there to talk to the shoppers you know. :D

And I agree...with your 2nd statement. Freedom of speech is much too precious to curtail it for the benefit of strolling shoppers. It's a small inconvenience to put up with and its loss is too dire to curtail unnecessarily.

Read Khun Burin's letter to Postbag in todays BP and you will have a much better idea of how these demonstrations of free speech can be handled so as not to impinge on the rights of others.

That's especially appropriate for the "rubber worker from Surat Thani." (gosh, surely they could come up with a better alias than that for him :o ) Anyway, there's so much film footage of him... when he wasn't smacking elderly citizens or putting them in headlocks, he was constantly on the phone. Who was he talking to? That might be a good place for them to start investigating who he is connected to or working for.

What do you mean alias? Wasn't he named as Charon Chong-on? (a misspell or mistranslation apparently, my husband said the name in the Thai papers was Thong-on). Anyway, seeing as how he is a Surat Thani native either he is being paid (the province is famous for being a source of guns for hire) or he's a dead man when he returns home. Well, maybe not dead, maybe beaten up, but then again, knowing the reputation Surat has, maybe dead.

Anyway, old man river, freedom of speech can take place anywhere as long as people are peaceable. Not sure why it would matter if it was in a shopping center or not, they weren't there to talk to the shoppers you know. :D

And I agree...with your 2nd statement. Freedom of speech is much too precious to curtail it for the benefit of strolling shoppers. It's a small inconvenience to put up with and its loss is too dire to curtail unnecessarily.

Read Khun Burin's letter to Postbag in todays BP and you will have a much better idea of how these demonstrations of free speech can be handled so as not to impinge on the rights of others.

I agree with what he says below (well, except the bit about police horses, which I don't think BKK Metro Police have too many of). It's also worth pointing out that as far as I've seen, those guidelines were complied with by the anti-Thaksin demonstrators at the Central World Plaza. They were outside on the sidewalks, did not harras people at entry/exit points. They did not use loudspeakers. Additionally, in compliance with the guidelines, there was significant access allowed to the press.

The guideline NOT complied with was that police failed to keep the groups well-separated.

"Demonstrators, whether pro or con, have the right to express their opinions so long as they respect the rights of others. Thus, demonstrators should stick to public property (normally the sidewalk in front of the event building), and allow non-harassed entry/exit. To avoid noise pollution, no amplifying equipment may be used. The police must keep opposing groups well-separated, e.g. using police lines, riot police, and horses. The press must be allowed free access to demonstrators."

I further agree with what he opines below. It's worth pointing out that as far as I've seen NONEof those guidelines were complied with:

"Peace officers must be uniformed (for easy identification), trained in riot control, and use only minimal force necessary to keep law and order."

Edited by sriracha john

From Thaiday:

By David Ogan 24 August 2006

...Presenting a unified front, top police officials yesterday declared that no effort will be spared to bring the culprits to justice, but added that investigations may take between 10 days to a month.

No effort will be spared, pffff... A month? :D Seems they've instructed their best man, suffering from a severe bout of both fibromyalgia and mononucleosis at once, to work on the case :o A sloth could move around quicker than that.

I agree with what he says below (well, except the bit about police horses, which I don't think BKK Metro Police have too many of). It's also worth pointing out that as far as I've seen, those guidelines were complied with by the anti-Thaksin demonstrators at the Central World Plaza. They were outside on the sidewalks, did not harras people at entry/exit points. They did not use loudspeakers. Additionally, in compliance with the guidelines, there was significant access allowed to the press.

The guideline NOT complied with was that police failed to keep the groups well-separated.

"Demonstrators, whether pro or con, have the right to express their opinions so long as they respect the rights of others. Thus, demonstrators should stick to public property (normally the sidewalk in front of the event building), and allow non-harassed entry/exit. To avoid noise pollution, no amplifying equipment may be used. The police must keep opposing groups well-separated, e.g. using police lines, riot police, and horses. The press must be allowed free access to demonstrators."

I further agree with what he opines below. It's worth pointing out that as far as I've seen NONEof those guidelines were complied with:

"Peace officers must be uniformed (for easy identification), trained in riot control, and use only minimal force necessary to keep law and order."

Admittedly, I was out of the country when it happend and based my original comments on what I had understood (misunderstood) to have occurred. Now that I have seen the tape, I fully agree with your comments above.

Admittedly, I was out of the country when it happend and based my original comments on what I had understood (misunderstood) to have occurred. Now that I have seen the tape, I fully agree with your comments above.

mai pen rai

:D

I appreciate your replying.

Heng. I'm still interested in hearing if you will join me in condemning the vicious and criminal assaults on a 5 year old child, a woman and an old man. You seem quite interested in stating what is identifying th exact terms that can be legally chanted in a public place, so I am sure you must be concerned about the protection of children. Anyway I would be interested to hear on this from you.

By the way if you have a kid you'll realise catchy phrases are easily picked up by children.

hi there H, I'll pass on condemning anything based on anything less than all of the facts... and certainly not on just the reported facts of gov't controlled or anti-Thaksin element controlled media. Thanks though. But yes, in general, assaults and abuse of innocent children, women, and the elderly are indeed pitiful acts.

Interesting. So if feeling himself slandered, Thaksin can bring his usual 1 Billion Baht court case, and need not send in the formerly-armed ex-drug-dealing police-informers, to beat up the child/woman/old-man (delete as appropriate). Presumably "I think Thaksin is a crook" would be acceptable - since it only expresses a personal opinion - while "Thaksin is a crook" as a statement of fact might be viewed as slanderous

IMO, Thaksin is likely unaffected when commoners slander him. It probably does bug him when those of greater importance do so however. Relativity and all that. No idea what is acceptable or not in strict legal terms. That said, it's certainly not beyond TRT or anti-TRT elements who are of the same social strata to get worked up, insult and feel insulted. Hence the inevitable clash.

Which would include throwing bricks - by TRT supporters ?.

Hehe. Yeah, I agree throwing bricks by TRT supporters (or anti-TRT elements for that matter) would be over the line.

Which is useful to have pointed out , by a Thai, since I'm sure that my own view IS coloured by my own cultural background, where incidentally we have no constitution to refer to, but only a long slowly-built-up history of what is or isn't considered acceptable action. So we may be more sensitive to,or critical of, what we see as inappropriate action.

No worries.

Edited by Heng

I've just seen that youtube video - it's appalling. That Charong fellow and some other thug taking orders from a guy with a large name tag, then manhandling the elderly man who refuses to go, reporters snapping close ups from 10 inches from their faces, then Charon headlocking the man and pulling him away, then the gloriuos police stepping in to protect the thugs and push the reporters away!!!

Totally absurd and indefensible.

This latest news about crackdown an all anti-Thaksin demonstrations can signal the suspension of civil liberites and might lead to a serious conflicts on the scale of 1992/1976 if protesters decide not to comply.

Sound recordings revealed that a police colonel, identified as Pol Col Rithirong Thepchanda, a senior Metropolitan Police officer, instructed the men [Charan Chong-orn and Chaisit Lomah] to apprehend a protester.

The two men in the video surrendered to police on Tuesday, but were released after being interrogated and fingerprinted. Charan Chong-orn and Chaisit Lomah denied they were police officers and denied all wrongdoing.

In a possible move to derail plans by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to stage a nationwide demonstration next week, the Interior Ministry yesterday ordered all provincial governors to thwart all future demonstrations against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or face severe disciplinary action.

The caretaker government signaled yesterday that harsh repercussions may await PAD demonstrations. Caretaker Interior Minister ACM Kongsak Wanthana yesterday reiterated that no police officers were involved in the violent clashes. However, at his monthly meeting with governors, conducted via video teleconference, ACM Kongsak instructed them to ensure that no anti-Thaksin protests occur in their province or they would face disciplinary action for incompetence.

- ThaiDay

So the interior ministry orders provincial governors to suspend the constitution. Interesting. Threatening severe disciplinary action if you dont break the law in effect.

This latest order is not on BP or The Nation's sites yet. Their breaking news is a car loaded with explosives.

It could be a pretext for a crackdown - if they link the protesters to the truck. It could turn out the truck was just a truck. Let's wait and see. It should be clearer in a couple of hours.

It's been posted in another topic.

Look here.

In other news...

Defense Minister expresses concern on current conflicts in society

Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) has expressed his concern on the current social confrontation as he fears that it may lead to violence like it used to happen over the past.

Gen. Thammarak has requested people who are behind the cause of such conflicts to halt their actions, as well as demanding units to help bring back harmony to Thailand. He said that the media should not present news that may stir up disorder situations and lead to more discordances.

Speaking about the investigation on the confrontation between Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and opponents at Central World, the Defense Minister said that the authorities are inspecting the case without any bias.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 August 2006

549000012597501.JPEG

Security drill at Thaksin’s workplace.

Reporters covering Government House have been alerted to security exercises scheduled for Saturday by eye-catching posters posing questions on what should be done in the event of bombs or fires. However, Government House security officials yesterday played down the significance of the drills, saying the day-long session, comprising a seminar on security matters and the drills, was part of “standard security measures.”

“This is an annual event and was planned last month. It has nothing to do with the clashes (between pro- and anti-Thaksin protesters),” said Government House security-in-charge, Pol Col Patcharin Phetriang.

Source: ThaiDay - 24 August 2006

ACM Kongsak: rally members scolding other people arrested, to prevent the escalation of situation

The Interior Minister, Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา), views that policemen should arrest rally members who shout and scold other people in order to prevent the situation from aggravating.

ACM Kongsak has assigned the authorities to strictly inspect the rallies and to prevent possible confrontation. He said the rally can be held but should follow the law. He also remarked that the protesters should not look down upon other people as they are violating other people’s rights. The violators will be arrested and fined.

220806_front.jpg

Uniformed and plainclothes police drag a man towards Pathumwan police station for questioning after he was injured yesterday in a clash with supporters of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at the Central World shopping complex. - BP

The man on the right is one of the most prominent, infamous Men In Black. He was shown by ASTV-1 as being all over the place acting very suspicious... :D

I hope the old man is still alive this afternoon...

post-27080-1156420502_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1156420529_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1156420565_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1156420656_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1156420670_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1156420711_thumb.jpg

Trouble is this together with the expanded investigation into the shin deal and the underhand shortening of the time llowed for senators to select EC memebers wont be in the News what with the "bomb".

To date I havent met a single Thai person who thought it was a real bomb. Odd.

Let's see what spin the papers will put on this tomorrow.

In today's Nation they went out of their way to be even handed and please both the protesters and Thaksin.

"With this new "attacking" style, the PAD has made the deliberate decision to create the impression that confrontation is unavoidable."

"Its support having dwindled as most people look ahead to the scheduled October 15 poll, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a major anti-Thaksin group, has changed its strategy from organising mass rallies to using small groups of members to shout at and curse Thaksin when he appears in public."

"A group of anti-Thaksin senators is believed to be behind a plan to delay the October 15 election."

Their editorials and opinion pieces aren't strong to condemn recent violence either.

I don't know the reason for this sudden departure from this "biased" news source.

quote name='hammered' date='2006-08-24 13:11:39' post='863031']

How embarrassing to have been overheard ! Darn these pesky media-types. :D

Did I somehow miss the acting caretaker government suspending the constitution, or declaring martial-law, or something ?

After all, they are there to control, not represent, their people !

- ThaiDay

So the interior ministry orders provincial governors to suspend the constitution. Interesting. Threatening severe disciplinary action if you dont break the law in effect.

Wonder how much the governers would know, about what constitutes an illegal order, under the constitution ?

It's been posted in another topic.

Look here.

In other news...

Defense Minister expresses concern on current conflicts in society

Defense Minister Thammarak Isarangura Na Ayutthaya (ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) has expressed his concern on the current social confrontation as he fears that it may lead to violence like it used to happen over the past.

Gen. Thammarak has requested people who are behind the cause of such conflicts to halt their actions,

The acting caretaker minister might care to start with his boss, his party and their various cohorts, such as the police.

as well as demanding units to help bring back harmony to Thailand. He said that the media should not present news that may stir up disorder situations and lead to more discordances.

Trans : "Please help us hush this mess up - before I lose my job & perks."

Speaking about the investigation on the confrontation between Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s supporters and opponents at Central World, the Defense Minister said that the authorities are inspecting the case without any bias.

"and pigs may fly, although I'm not yet sure, which airport they will land at"

Regarding The Nation's recent change of editorial direction, perhaps someone mentioned to them the likelihood of their being sued for a billion Baht, do you think ? Surely not ! :o

Edited by Ricardo

I think that is a bit off. Thaksin has only been announcing his venues shortly before he goes to them. This is a countermeasure to a big PAD presence at the venues. Right now I think the best thing the PAD can do is keep the little things Thaksin does out in the open so they get press coverage. The bigger the story the harder it is for Thaksin to hide it from his voter base. By seeing the attacks on the PAD young and old, that alone did more damage to Thaksin in the eyes of his voters than you know. That was a very powerful suggestion that transcends class and levels of education. The fact that the car bomb came up so soon was meant to change the focus before the damage got to deep.

'Thug' [man in black] once got 11-year sentence

More criminal records of one of the two men accused of assaulting anti-Thaksin protesters on Monday have emerged, showing that he was once sentenced to a long prison term for drug dealing and to brief imprisonment for other crimes.

A Criminal Court verdict in 1998 sentenced Charan Chong-on to 11 years in prison for selling 500 amphetamine tablets while in possession of a firearm after he was arrested by Huay Khwang police. He was also arrested in 1988 by police in Bangkok's Rat Burana district and again in 1993 in Bang Mod district for gambling.

Charan, the man seen wearing sunglasses in television news footage of Monday's clash, and Chaiyasith Lamoh have been charged with the same offences over their alleged assaults on anti-Thaksin supporters at the Central World shopping complex. Three people were injured in the clash.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer accused of ordering the two men to attack anti-Thaksin protestors repeated his denial.

Colonel Ritthirong Thepjanda, a deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Division 6, said he had submitted a report on the incident to his superior officer and that the internal investigation into the matter was under way.

- The Nation

-------------------------------

sentenced to 11 years in prison for drugs and guns... and then magically,

** P O O F * *

.... no jail time, no nothing ....

it's amazing the amount of pull a simple, humble, rubber tree plantation worker from Surat Thani can muster up.

Edited by sriracha john