(Wife) Need to buy a gun (registered)

marcfarang

Please and kindly , has anyone bought a gun in thailand ?

no questions please , just response if you have the experience

thanks a lot

appreciated

i do have a gun, my wife bought it under her name for 12000bht, 100k or even 50k is so expensive you can get cheaper if not registered,and if registered a good friend working as a cop can do it for you for free same we did it,the reason i bought the gun is i do work inside my shop till late at night sometimes an it turned out that one day someone have stolen my motorbike and since i am a stranger in the area and i do wear gold i think it is more safer for me to have a gun inside the shop,and that's what most of the people advised me to do so,i am young and strong enough but a gun inside the sop is more wiser to protect my belonging but it is full of risk and danger as well cause i am not supposed to hold it,only my wife is allowed to do so,but in Thailand rules are always broken so i think it is safer to own a gun at home to protect your family if it's a dangerous neighborhood .....

Friendly bit of advice. I think rather than buying a gun you need to examine the reasons for wanting to buy one. If its a rough area, just move somewhere else. A gun is not the solution it will make things much worse especially in a lawless country like Thailand. That cop made up a number no doubt. Just like the changes they will trump up if you are caught with it or worse firing it at someone.

Lot's of advice here about how to go about getting a gun. Just wondering if anyone here (or their wife) has had occasion to use a gun in Thailand and how that turned out...

Turned out ok.

I need to work on my aim.

At Bangna... Also used it at a fair. Guy robbed me of 20b so I shot 3 targets and took his stuffed toy.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64
  • Like 1

Not sure where you live, but try going to the head of the Village, where i live the guy has a brochure, rifles, pump action, glock's, S&W, M4's M16's,, depending what you want your looking at paying over double the price than the US ... stay away from the police unless its a family member...

Maybe start with a Taser before the gun!!!!

So this is why Thais have so many unlicensed guns? In the hands of idiots !

A REAL Taser is illegal, go work that out.

Stay away from the police... OBVIOUSLY a law abiding citizen.

My point was don't buy a gun of a cop unless a family member!!!!!!

15-20 yrs ago, my passion/hobby was a gun collector in the US.......you just don't go out and buy a gun, because you fear for your life? Guns are for self defense and killing another? In the US, you can legally buy a gun if you qualify with local rules and restrictions......you also can obtain a permit to carry in many of the states........However, if you shoot and kill someone, you could go to prison, if not proven in self defense or fear for your life? On top of that, you could be sued outright in a civilian court! We do have laws that are enforced for shootings and killings, not to say every gun toting person is in the right or wrong?

As a lawful gun owner, I use to go to a gun range every week, and practice my shooting accuracy with a few hundred rds.............You just don't go out and say you need/want to buy a gun! I have no idea about guns laws here in Thailand? As drivers don't even want to stop for a pedestrian crossing a street, it's just easier to run the person over with your car or motorbike? If you kill someone here with a gun, what laws will be in your favor? Do you just go to your bank and give them monies for killing someone? haha........

• Like 1

OP, as others have suggested, regardless of the situation, purchasing a weapon because others have them is generally not a solution to the problem. If your wife is purchasing a weapon for self defense on her property, is over the age of 20 and doesn't have a record or is not disabled either physically or mentally, then she won't have a problem.

If she wants a permission to carry for self defence, unless she has a very strong valid reason for doing so, she will not be granted the permit.

If she wants to buy multiple firearms, it is one license for each weapon.

The below link is dated September 2011, and to my knowledge the gun laws haven't changed since then (but am not sure how the current situation affects these) All you need to know...............wink.png

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/thailand-gun-law.html

There have been many misleading posts on this thread.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Please and kindly , has anyone bought a gun in thailand ?

no questions please , just response if you have the experience

thanks a lot

appreciated

i do have a gun, my wife bought it under her name for 12000bht, 100k or even 50k is so expensive you can get cheaper if not registered,and if registered a good friend working as a cop can do it for you for free same we did it,the reason i bought the gun is i do work inside my shop till late at night sometimes an it turned out that one day someone have stolen my motorbike and since i am a stranger in the area and i do wear gold i think it is more safer for me to have a gun inside the shop,and that's what most of the people advised me to do so,i am young and strong enough but a gun inside the sop is more wiser to protect my belonging but it is full of risk and danger as well cause i am not supposed to hold it,only my wife is allowed to do so,but in Thailand rules are always broken so i think it is safer to own a gun at home to protect your family if it's a dangerous neighborhood .....

Hope you understand that you are illegally in possession of a firearm if it is not correctly registered?

Your troubles however don't neccessarily start by having the weapon, your troubles will start as soon as you point and pull the trigger...............wink.png

IMHO, check your status.

Not sure where you live, but try going to the head of the Village, where i live the guy has a brochure, rifles, pump action, glock's, S&W, M4's M16's,, depending what you want your looking at paying over double the price than the US ... stay away from the police unless its a family member...

Maybe start with a Taser before the gun!!!!

So this is why Thais have so many unlicensed guns? In the hands of idiots !

A REAL Taser is illegal, go work that out.

Stay away from the police... OBVIOUSLY a law abiding citizen.

My point was don't buy a gun of a cop unless a family member!!!!!!

Why would you buy a gun from a cop (family member or not) ? Do you think that makes it legal? I am pretty sure he would not be a part of your family, this is just opening you up to all sorts of potential problems. You would trust a Thai cop, that is your wife´s cousin through her aunts brothers cousins husband? You would trust a Thai cop ??? He is not a licensed gun dealer and I am sure you are not going to get a license for the weapon let alone a license to carry.

Another reason I wont live in the village in Nakon Nowhere.

As I said OBVIOUSLY a law abiding citizen !!!

EDITED to add.

Edited by RigPig

15-20 yrs ago, my passion/hobby was a gun collector in the US.......you just don't go out and buy a gun, because you fear for your life? Guns are for self defense and killing another? In the US, you can legally buy a gun if you qualify with local rules and restrictions......you also can obtain a permit to carry in many of the states........However, if you shoot and kill someone, you could go to prison, if not proven in self defense or fear for your life? On top of that, you could be sued outright in a civilian court! We do have laws that are enforced for shootings and killings, not to say every gun toting person is in the right or wrong?

As a lawful gun owner, I use to go to a gun range every week, and practice my shooting accuracy with a few hundred rds.............You just don't go out and say you need/want to buy a gun! I have no idea about guns laws here in Thailand? As drivers don't even want to stop for a pedestrian crossing a street, it's just easier to run the person over with your car or motorbike? If you kill someone here with a gun, what laws will be in your favor? Do you just go to your bank and give them monies for killing someone? haha........

Anyone can learn to shoot a gun. Shooting to kill is not so easy.

Many people (especially women) are hesitant about just punching an attacker, let alone shooting them.

• Like 1

Some points to the OP's queries;

# 100k for the complete deal inc NEW gun and correct paperwork from the Ampur and local police station is not far off, if it is something simple like a pump action shotgun or 6 shot revolver. This includes a bit of "under the table" greasing of wheels in motion which is normal procedure pretty much at every police station.

# Brand name European 6 shot revolvers and shotguns start around 30k. Auto pistols, especially European and American brand names are considerably more expensive. Chinese stuff is far cheaper but not recommended.

# step 1. Apply at the local Ampur, after checking out your wife's past criminal history, reasons for wanting a gun etc etc, they will say yeah or neah. If no, you can appeal and re-apply.

# step 2, if yes, head down to the local police station with your new Ampur paperwork in hand, and apply for the license and what type of gun your wife wishes for. Here it is stated if it is shotgun, rifle, handgun either 6 shot revolver or auto. You will only be able to purchase the type you apply for, ie if you want a 6 shot revolver, you will not be able to buy an auto. Total costs for the above paperwork range between 30-40k depending where you are, and how much a "small benevolent fee" is req'd.

# Next step is down to the local gun shop and purchase, with as much ammo as you can afford. Your wife (and you) will want a lot of practice.

*** Advice;

# Do NOT purchase ANY gun second hand. You will not know it's history.

# Double DO NOT buy a S/H gun WITHOUT paperwork. I've had 9mm autos offered to me as cheap as 5k. Not interested.

# Police will often sell their guns to upgrade at decent prices. This is only possible if you already have the Ampur's permission and paperwork, and the policeman has the correct paperwork, and his superiors are in on the deal. Not recommended as by the time you are legal, the pistol was say 15-20k, you are still well over 50k once paperwork is completed.

# Gun licenses, especially shotguns, are easier to acquire in the boondocks, than city centres. Living on a remote farm, your wife will almost certainly be granted a handgun and/or shotgun license.

# If you ever have to shoot an intruder on YOUR property, if it is a frontal shot, there will be absolutely no legal comeback. A rear entry shot, it will get messy, problematic and expensive. And possibly go to court. This is from the horse's mouth. Or should i say my local big wig copper's...

• Like 1

TOO MANY "SCOIS" AND SERIAL KILLERS IN OUR SOI !! scary just a question are all these people gun toters ??

Thanks for the good replies

some of you have no idea about thailand

im living near cambodia

come hear and i show you who is a pussy

thanks to the rest

thanks

amazing that so many ppl have time to respond just bullshit

that reflects thailand much

im hear for more then 20 years , living in the jungle near cambodia , some of you could not even spend a night where i am

grow up

to the rest , some really helpful respones , i say thank you

cheers

• Like 1

TOO MANY "SCOIS" AND SERIAL KILLERS IN OUR SOI !! scary just a question are all these people gun toters ??

Surely, you are not advocating having a gun only when all the bad guys have them.

correct i am not if i was advocating anything it would be a complete ban on privately held fire arms

Surely, you are not advocating having a gun only when all the bad guys have them.

correct i am not if i was advocating anything it would be a complete ban on privately held fire arms

It's good you are not in charge, then.

• Like 1

It's good you are not in charge, then.

its good this is only you're opinion which of course you are entitled to equally so am i

@macfarang

You're right.

The aren't too many sois and (for that matter) cops, registration situations or LAW WAY out East (there) in the jungle "near Cambodia" where you figure most of us wouldn't want to spend so much as a night.

If you're not just making all this up for shits and giggles here's some stuff to REALLY think about.

So do what the Khmer Rouge used to do. Rent a weapon from a Thai soldier (nights) or buy one from a person in a position to part with one.

You'll just need a revolver, BTW because you're probably just going to use it once before you hightail it out of the area NEVER to return.

Before you use the rental or buy the piece, get him to show you and your wife how it works, take it apart and assemble it.

It'll give you a chance to decide if you can trust this guy.

Just bring enough cash to pay for that session ...., (say) about 2000 THB.

Think hard about the seller, your wife and NOT taking on a bunch of armed drunks one night in that jungle you waited until now to talk about.

After this session IF you buy the revolver the seller is poised to blackmail you.

Think about that too. Think hard.

Two more things:

1) Thai women get stuff like this into their heads for one reason ..... to impress the neighbors.

2) If you or your wife ever use that weapon odds are that you'll both face severe consequences.

Move (Gawdammit)

MOVE

• Like 1