Breaking free from the Shinawatras

Lite Beer

As an outsider I still don't understand the witch hunt style campaign against the Shinawatra family. I suspect I never will.

Probably a good thing.

try reading Thai Recent History

But avoid the Thai history book with the red cover.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This article does make a point though. The Shin family does not make waves if everything thing is going their way but as soon as something goes sour and their motives questioned they automatically start screaming democracy and try to use that as a shield. Just as. YL laid claim that democracy died with her impeachment. References to this effect insinuate their can be no democracy without her or her family. Calls to fight always seem to come from the red shirts when they are in the spotlight for wrongdoings. Perhaps my assessment is wrong. But it appears this way to me looking at it as an outsider.

And the Yellow shirts of course are thoroughly well behaved when things don't go there way . An example to us all of how to conduct oneself with restraint ,dignity and decorum

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 1

what's this guy's point? The title is 'breaking free...' but it isn't about that.

editorial nonsense.... next. coffee1.gif

Try reading it again and properly assimilating all the words and what they mean when put together in sentences and paragraphs. You will then find that the report actually is connected directly to the title.

The only nonsense is your dismissive post.

The big question that is not answered is what Thailand has got in its place. Thaksin was self-serving, but isn't this a common trait in most of the Governments elected or forced into power.

The return to democratic rule would be a better story, but these right wing tabloids can't talk about this as they will spend time being re-educated.

Of course that question was not answered, how could the OP answer something that is asked by you after it's publication? The OP was not trying to answer any questions, it was a valid editorial opinion on the standing of the Shinawatras in many individuals eyes.

Also I think you'll find that The Nation is a broadsheet and trying to decry it by referring to it as a tabloid is nonsensical.

I don't know they are as bad as some people say or saints serving the poor as others may believe. But here are a couple of FACTOIDS that came out with Yesterday Unemployment figures , think they were trying to Turd Polish with them but gave unintended compliment to last few governments

"During these two decades, the ratio of the income share held by the richest and poorest 10 per cent of the population - the decile dispersion ratio - decreased 3.8 points in the Kingdom."

"In addition, Thailand has seen strong wage growth of more than 5 per cent annually in recent years, thanks mainly to the government policy to significantly raise the minimum wage in 2012 and |2013."

For me someone has to stand up for the poor in this country , sometimes you have to take the Devil you know,

I don't know they are as bad as some people say or saints serving the poor as others may believe. But here are a couple of FACTOIDS that came out with Yesterday Unemployment figures , think they were trying to Turd Polish with them but gave unintended compliment to last few governments

"During these two decades, the ratio of the income share held by the richest and poorest 10 per cent of the population - the decile dispersion ratio - decreased 3.8 points in the Kingdom."

"In addition, Thailand has seen strong wage growth of more than 5 per cent annually in recent years, thanks mainly to the government policy to significantly raise the minimum wage in 2012 and |2013."

For me someone has to stand up for the poor in this country , sometimes you have to take the Devil you know,

3.8% explained - Thaksin moved offshore. I'm sure his asset increase, was it 450%, through insider trading using knowledge from cabinet meetings, makes the poor much happier.

BTW not only did Yingluk raise the minimum wage, she also significantly raised inflation by doing it. It's called fool's gold.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

3.8% explained - Thaksin moved offshore. I'm sure his asset increase, was it 450%, through insider trading using knowledge from cabinet meetings, makes the poor much happier.

BTW not only did Yingluk raise the minimum wage, she also significantly raised inflation by doing it. It's called fool's gold.

The poor dont give a shit how much he earned , the rich give a shit what he earned because they were pissed off it wasn't them. Put either of them up for an election and they would win in another land slide tomorrow. They are all as bent as each other , but at least the poor benefit from this one

The poor dont give a shit how much he earned , the rich give a shit what he earned because they were pissed off it wasn't them. Put either of them up for an election and they would win in another land slide tomorrow. They are all as bent as each other , but at least the poor benefit from this one

The OP suggests your sad delusions are just that. How many poor have benefited from the Yingluk government's time? Has personal or public debt decreased?

BTW quite a few Thais know how much he earned, and where it came from. Your ex- is premature.

• Like 2

The OP suggests your sad delusions are just that. How many poor have benefited from the Yingluk government's time? Has personal or public debt decreased?

BTW quite a few Thais know how much he earned, and where it came from. Your ex- is premature.

I have no idea about how much money was put into what by who and whose better off or not. But the main thing for me is the poor or working class vote for his parties and have done for what ? 15 years ?. So when push comes to shove they must be better off under him or they wouldn't vote for him. Now

if opponents say he's using tax money in public give aways as a way of buying votes well that's what every political party in the world does , the popular policies get you votes, so directing them at you grassroots support makes sense , plus the people they aimed them at were in need of help

I have no idea about how much money was put into what by who and whose better off or not. But the main thing for me is the poor or working class vote for his parties and have done for what ? 15 years ?. So when push comes to shove they must be better off under him or they wouldn't vote for him. Now

if opponents say he's using tax money in public give aways as a way of buying votes well that's what every political party in the world does , the popular policies get you votes, so directing them at you grassroots support makes sense , plus the people they aimed them at were in need of help

Yes the poor certainly needed help, and at great expense they didn't get it. Popular policy is one thing, an unsustainable delusion which turned out to be a scam with none of the benefits going to where it was claimed to go is quite another.

Major beneficiaries were landlords, large scale farmers, and storage owners - their poverty is abject. Suicide rates soared, or was that bank balances.

Edited by halloween
  • Like 2

With lots of Thai wondering how to stretch their salary to last a whole month, what with topics like 'budget food corners', rising costs of living doesn't seem to have been imagination after all, now does it?

"he launched a variety of policies in favor of the masses. In fact, according to the pole survey by ABAC, these policies attracted a great deal of support from the people: 84% for OTOP, 81% for the 30-baht medical services, and 79% for village funds scheme in contrast to 39% for anti-corruption campaign and 35% for restructuring of state enterprises (Tamada 2005, 182–183)."

http://englishkyoto-seas.org/2014/08/vol-3-no-2-suehiro-akira/

"Thaksin’s great victory in the general election was interpreted by a royalist-military group as a potential and serious menace to the monarchy system. At the same time, Thaksin’s reform of the budget system at the expense of defense matters has always irritated a military group. In addition, he directly intervened in the top personnel manage­ment of the military by appointing his cousin in 2003. These activities finally resulted in the counter-balancing activity of a royalist-military coup to oust Thaksin from the power in 2006 (Wasana 2008)."

"From 2000-2004, poverty dropped from 21% to 11% and agricultural incomes rose by 40%, higher than the rise in any other forms of income (see page 14 of the same World Bank report mentioned in the that post)"

World Bank

"Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000)"

World Bank, Thailand Economic Monitor November 2005

Whats the point in breaking away from the Shinawatras, just to remain under the grip of the military and the old BKK powers.

Yeah, you are probably right smutty. And after the rice debacle the farmers are probably thinking "What's the difference between being screwed over by the Shins or the Amart, elite, hi-so, fascist Old Guard. End of the day we are still screwed."

Yes the poor certainly needed help, and at great expense they didn't get it. Popular policy is one thing, an unsustainable delusion which turned out to be a scam with none of the benefits going to where it was claimed to go is quite another.

Major beneficiaries were landlords, large scale farmers, and storage owners - their poverty is abject. Suicide rates soared, or was that bank balances.

All fair points mate, I just wonder where or whether their will be another Political movement or Party that will at least take the needs of the working class and poor into consideration

With lots of Thai wondering how to stretch their salary to last a whole month, what with topics like 'budget food corners', rising costs of living doesn't seem to have been imagination after all, now does it?

"he launched a variety of policies in favor of the masses. In fact, according to the pole survey by ABAC, these policies attracted a great deal of support from the people: 84% for OTOP, 81% for the 30-baht medical services, and 79% for village funds scheme in contrast to 39% for anti-corruption campaign and 35% for restructuring of state enterprises (Tamada 2005, 182–183)."

"Thaksin’s great victory in the general election was interpreted by a royalist-military group as a potential and serious menace to the monarchy system. At the same time, Thaksin’s reform of the budget system at the expense of defense matters has always irritated a military group. In addition, he directly intervened in the top personnel manage­ment of the military by appointing his cousin in 2003. These activities finally resulted in the counter-balancing activity of a royalist-military coup to oust Thaksin from the power in 2006 (Wasana 2008)."

"From 2000-2004, poverty dropped from 21% to 11% and agricultural incomes rose by 40%, higher than the rise in any other forms of income (see page 14 of the same World Bank report mentioned in the that post)"

World Bank

"Thailand's Gini coefficient, a measure of income inequality, fell from .525 in 2000 to .499 in 2004 (it had risen from 1996 to 2000)"

Hey, waitforusalso, you forgot to quote this little gem from that article by Suehiro Akira -

............"First of all, Thaksin has frequently and publicly expressed his idea that “a state is a company, and a prime minister is a CEO of country”...............

Truer words have never been spoken ! clap2.gif

• Like 1

This article does make a point though. The Shin family does not make waves if everything thing is going their way but as soon as something goes sour and their motives questioned they automatically start screaming democracy and try to use that as a shield. Just as. YL laid claim that democracy died with her impeachment. References to this effect insinuate their can be no democracy without her or her family. Calls to fight always seem to come from the red shirts when they are in the spotlight for wrongdoings. Perhaps my assessment is wrong. But it appears this way to me looking at it as an outsider.

If they could build a robust system that everyone complied with there would not be any problems.

It is the coup makers repeated inability to write a robust constitution and stick to it which is the essential problem. Anyone would assume they have a vested interest in a corruptible legal system and patronage.

I mean, just imagine if everything was clean and transparent. How would a general get by on a few thousand USD per month.

The Army is the problem not the solution

• Like 2

Get rid of the Shins, then the Military and Thailand may just have a chance.

You know the song, "99 bottles of beer on the wall, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall?" Still plenty of families to be taken down after the Shins and military. Thailand doesn't have a Buddhist chant.

2012-05-04

"BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is preparing to tell Thais that their perception of soaring prices is just that, a perception. In fact, government research indicates that prices are trending downwards."

http://www.thaivisa....on-pm-yingluck/

World Bank

I put back my quote about 'perception of price raises' and since you're so into the 'Thaksin Years' may I add

"Chris Baker says: "The clever thing Thaksin did was that, unlike previous figures who made money by dipping their hands in the till, he used power to increase the profits of his companies, and increase the number of companies in which he had a stake.""

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26000693

So, breaking away from the Shinawatras, not easy for some.

• Like 2

Get rid of the Shins, then the Military and Thailand may just have a chance.

You know the song, "99 bottles of beer on the wall, take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall?" Still plenty of families to be taken down after the Shins and military. Thailand doesn't have a Buddhist chant.

Maybe so, but you have to start somewhere. Put the fattest chicken in the pot first and maybe some of the others will choose to go on a diet. Or, more likely here I suppose, they will start gorging on the giblets.

• Like 1

I dont like the Shins never had.. Hope they never come back or hurt any other people for that matter. But there is an old saying "theres a calm before the storm"

The Shins have a lot of money invested in Thailand and countried around Thailand as well, Dont think we have seen the last of them yet. I would put a world wide bounty on them and have them brought to court so we can be sure we are rid of them for ever.

Peace and all the love for Thailand and Khun Thai.

• Like 2

How about a "Breaking Free of the Kingdoms Autocratic Elite" Thread

I keep hearing about this "elite", but nobody seems to know who they are. I have requested many posters who like to mention them to tell me who they actually are, to name them, but nothing. Even just one name and I would be happy. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Ragzilb said and I quote" The Shins have a lot of money invested in Thailand and countried around Thailand as well."

Care to elaborate at little more on the names of these interests and their links to the Shinawatras? A little investigation into these interests might be needed to see if positions in power were abused acquiring these interests. Corruption is their middle name.

How about a "Breaking Free of the Kingdoms Autocratic Elite" Thread

I keep hearing about this "elite", but nobody seems to know who they are. I have requested many posters who like to mention them to tell me who they actually are, to name them, but nothing. Even just one name and I would be happy. alt=whistling.gif>

In General, Suthep and the PDRC backers, The Military Higher echelons and the others I cannot say for fear of breaking the law, Its not something to be smart arsed over, its true , Thailand will never truly be democratic while these people apply a strangle hold every time their control is threatened