Idea Of Prices Rising A Misconception: PM Yingluck

webfact

Idea of prices rising a misconception: PM

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

30181285-01_big.jpg

Govt says research shows prices going down; cost-relief measures planned

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is preparing to tell Thais that their perception of soaring prices is just that, a perception. In fact, government research indicates that prices are trending downwards.

To ensure that the government is getting accurate feedback, she has ordered the Commerce Ministry to set up a centre to receive complaints and information from consumers. Meanwhile, it has maintained the current price of liquefied petroleum gas for household use to alleviate the cost of living.

The government believes that prices will normalise in the second half of the year as the industrial sector returns to full production capacity.

Yingluck also pointed out that data on the prices of goods did not always reflect people's perceptions.

"People's feelings that prices are rising are an aftermath effect of the floods. In fact, prices are declining, but this does not satisfy them. Also, every April brings the hot season reflecting their high expenses, and the back-to-school season makes them sensitive to the high cost of goods," she said.

The government is taking steps to alleviate the cost of living but its measures will focus on special groups such as small and medium-sized enterprises and low-income people.

Yingluck has urged the Commerce Ministry to propose plans for controlling consumers' living costs soon, as her government has been attacked over rocketing goods prices during its administration. She is scheduled to announce the government's measures on television tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a survey by the Commerce Ministry's Bureau of Economic Indices released yesterday showed how the prices of goods had risen in April compared with a year ago.

The major increases were in the price of eggs, up by 20 satang to Bt2.90 each, pork by Bt10-Bt20 to Bt130-Bt140 per kilogram, Chinese kale and long bean from Bt50 to Bt70 per kilo each, cucumber from Bt25 to Bt35 per kilo, and chicken from Bt65 to Bt70.

The survey also found that goods prices were increasing as suppliers said they had to cope with rising production costs. As a result, their sales dropped by 20-30 per cent over the survey period.

The ministry will propose to Yingluck price controls for cooked food provided by street vendors. A source from the ministry said it had been conducting a study on how to control the price of fast food. It has found that the cost of raw materials has not changed since last year, but retail prices have risen considerable, from an average of Bt25-Bt30 per dish to Bt35-Bt40.

"The government will control the price of fast food at Bt25-30 for popular menu items such as pork fried rice with basil, red curry chicken with rice, and Chinese fried noodle to reduce the cost of living for low-income consumers," said the source.

Under the proposal, the government will allow enterprises a profit margin of Bt3-Bt9 per dish, which should be fair for both traders and consumers. If any enterprises exceed the control price, the government will use legal measures to investigate their incomes and tax-payment histories, the source said.

A study by the Internal Trade Department found that the most profitable menu item for food retailers was omelette, for which the cost of raw materials was Bt13.07. Food traders earn Bt6.93 profit if the retail price is Bt20 per dish.

Pork fried rice with basil has the highest cost of production at Bt20.53. Enterprises will gain only Bt4.47 if the retail price is set at Bt25 per dish.

The cost of making a serving of red-curry chicken with rice is Bt21.87. Food traders earn Bt3.13-Bt8.13 for a retail price of Bt25-Bt30. The cost of Chinese fried noodle with egg is Bt20.84 per dish, for which vendors make Bt4.16-Bt9.16 from a price of Bt25-Bt30.

The source said that as the cost of raw materials was unchanged since last year, retailers should not raise their prices too high.

Meanwhile, the Commerce Ministry reported that about 30 government-backed Raan Thook Jai shops to sell cheap essential goods had opened in Bangkok.

However, the ministry has targeted opening 2,000 shops in Bangkok and nearby provinces by the end of this month, and another 8,000 shops nationwide this year. The government plans to spend Bt1.32 billion on the project.

The ministry said the project had been moving slowly as participants waited for budget allocations from the government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-04

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is preparing to tell Thais that their perception of soaring prices is just that, a perception."

<deleted>?? And this statement is followed by a statement that prices are trending downwards.

I think this may be a really bad case of selective data!

• Like 1

Reading this article reminds me of the children's fable concerning the King's new clothes, To just talk perception, her survey says eggs are less than 3 Baht a piece where I buy my eggs,(Tesco Lotus) eggs are 45 to 47 Baht for 10 that makes them 4.5 + per egg. Limes 7 to 10 Baht a piece???? bottled water up 60%. Last year I paid 10 Baht for 20 liters today it costs me 16 Baht.

The everyday items are up,up,up. The P.M. just needs to face reality and quite trying to spin everything with her "Red" tinted glasses.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is preparing to tell Thais that their perception of soaring prices is just that, a perception."

<deleted>?? And this statement is followed by a statement that prices are trending downwards.

Coupled with mass delusions in rose colored glass.

One can only conclude that the politicians have found a way to not pay the tax on their expensive luxury goods that they subsist on. It is clear that they never have any exposure to people that actually pay for things themselves from hard earned money. Does her evidence include increasing shake downs from the authorities? Hottie Yingluck is turning into Kim Yong Il. What's next? Yingluck confirms that she played golf yesterday and on her first round recorded a 25 under par including 7 holes in one?

However, the ministry has targeted opening 2,000 shops in Bangkok and nearby provinces by the end of this month, and another 8,000 shops nationwide this year. The government plans to spend Bt1.32 billion on the project.

The ministry said the project had been moving slowly as participants waited for budget allocations from the government.

And once again the thruth rises its head.Promises,promises and more promises.

Some more pies in the sky.

What's next? Yingluck confirms that she played golf yesterday and on her first round recorded a 25 under par including 7 holes in one?

No more likely something like............And from now on pigs can fly.

Reading this article reminds me of the children's fable concerning the King's new clothes, To just talk perception, her survey says eggs are less than 3 Baht a piece where I buy my eggs,(Tesco Lotus) eggs are 45 to 47 Baht for 10 that makes them 4.5 + per egg. Limes 7 to 10 Baht a piece???? bottled water up 60%. Last year I paid 10 Baht for 20 liters today it costs me 16 Baht.

The everyday items are up,up,up. The P.M. just needs to face reality and quite trying to spin everything with her "Red" tinted glasses.

Shop at a market and prices will be much cheaper. I pay a small fraction of supermarket prices if I shop at a local market. And the food tends to be fresher as well. Just because you pay a certain price at Lotus does not mean that is the average price across the whole of Thailand. Limes 7-10 baht? LOL. I get 7 for 20 baht at the market, so less than 3 baht each. Maybe you need to shop around a little more instead of just accepting the lotus prices.

• Like 2

When it comes to day-to-day living costs the PM is disconnected from the real world; this can happen when you are rich and price rises really don't bother you due to your large bank accounts.

I actually agree with her. The high inflation numbers are indeed a misconception. The price of perfumes, tablet pc's from China (lol), expensive watches, airfares to the Maldives, visits to Angkor Wat, tickets for the Manchester derby, Burberry items have indeed never been cheaper for Thais. Also the fact that a lot of food items have doubled in price, or 30% up, is just not true. You just get 2 pound instead of 1 kilogram, beer and water is served and sold in smaller bottles (as if we didn't notice!), and even a nice portion of noodle soup is not what it used to be, I mean where is the red pork?

have you notice that soft drinks bottle in Thailand has grew quite a bit.

used to be only 285ml (10 oz), and now almost half a liter as standard.

very good for consumer.

I shop at a market and prices have increased. Everything is increasing, even the kindergarten fees went up 18% yesterday.

I'm sure this is just a misconception on your part; call the PM and she will explain why you are imaging the price increases.

• Like 1

I actually agree with her. The high inflation numbers are indeed a misconception. The price of perfumes, tablet pc's from China (lol), expensive watches, airfares to the Maldives, visits to Angkor Wat, tickets for the Manchester derby, Burberry items have indeed never been cheaper for Thais. Also the fact that a lot of food items have doubled in price, or 30% up, is just not true. You just get 2 pound instead of 1 kilogram, beer and water is served and sold in smaller bottles (as if we didn't notice!), and even a nice portion of noodle soup is not what it used to be, I mean where is the red pork?

very good for consumer.

Do you consider soft drinks a necessary staple food

I do not

I have a friend who works for coke as a salesman, he says

the profit margin on the small coke bottles are the biggest

profit margin items.He says that he laughs to himself every

time a customer order a few pallets.

It's precisely that data that the Democrats are requesting to be investigated.The House of Representative's panel on commerce is being asked to determine if there has been manipulation of the figures for the Thai consumer price index.

They suspect the numbers used are below actual prices and that accounts for the drop in inflation that is earnestly being touted.

• Like 1

It's precisely that data that the Democrats are requesting to be investigated.The House of Representative's panel on commerce is being asked to determine if there has been manipulation of the figures for the Thai consumer price index.

They suspect the numbers used are below actual prices and that accounts for the drop in inflation that is earnestly being touted.

"There is No Bird Flu In Thailand",

and other great factual tidbits from other Shinawatra lead Governments.

Listen to what we say, not what you can see, hear and know.

Ignore that smell of stink, your nose must be broken.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

very good for consumer.

Do you consider soft drinks a necessary staple food

I do not

I have a friend who works for coke as a salesman, he says

the profit margin on the small coke bottles are the biggest

profit margin items.He says that he laughs to himself every

time a customer order a few pallets.

Then why is the refined sugar price capped in Thailand. The government is unwittingly keeping the price of soft drinks low by capping the domestic price of sugar. As though promoting obesity, diabetes and tooth decay in the country is a good thing???blink.png Of course the soft drinks and makers love it but would we mind a little less sugar in our food and drink if the price went up to where is should be?

• Like 1

Shop at a market and prices will be much cheaper. I pay a small fraction of supermarket prices if I shop at a local market. And the food tends to be fresher as well. Just because you pay a certain price at Lotus does not mean that is the average price across the whole of Thailand. Limes 7-10 baht? LOL. I get 7 for 20 baht at the market, so less than 3 baht each. Maybe you need to shop around a little more instead of just accepting the lotus prices.

While cheaper than Lotus, the prices at local markets are significantly increasing.

Fish, pork, and beef all up. Cooked foods with smaller portions. Herbs are up, etc. etc.

Inflation is across the board, irregardless of point of purchase.

How the hell do you control the price of food at street vendors?

Good question. When I read this...

"The government will control the price of fast food at Bt25-30 for popular menu items such as pork fried rice with basil, red curry chicken with rice, and Chinese fried noodle to reduce the cost of living for low-income consumers," said the source.

I am thinking to get prices to 25-30 baht, the government doesn't need to "control the price", they need to "roll back the price" as the number of establishments that still sell at 25 baht is small.

With the thousands of street food entrepreneurs, dictating to them what they charge is a pipe-dream.

At the end of it, it all comes down to oil and gas prices.

Oil to make the fertiliser, oil to power the tractors, oil to power the generators to provide the electricity to run the processing factories, oil to power the distribution, oil, oil and oil.

I heard from an enormous egg producer the other day, they are actually losing money on selling the eggs ex factory because the cost of the feed has sky rocketed. Driers for this feed eat up huge quantities of lpg, which for industry is now at 29 baht a kilo. They make most of their profit for this year from selling the fertiliser produced from the chicken waste.

Anyone want a weaker baht? Then see the prices go ballistic......