Thailand's transgender people aren’t just 'Ladyboys' anymore

webfact

I'm quite surprised at how bigoted many TV members seem to be. I'm a plain vanilla heterosexual myself, so I have 'no dog in this fight', but I do believe that it is a basic human right for consenting adults to sleep with whatever gender they so choose or to dress as or even become whichever gender they choose.

You're surprised? I guess you don't read the forum much. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Whatever, its their country.

Barring gay men from enteting the country and especially working with children +2.

Don't they have enough toilets and parks to pick up strangers and enough glory holes to visit at home? Why come here to exploit young men half and one third their age?

I needva shower...ugh.

But it's cool for straight men to come here and sleep with girls half and one third their age?

and in many(not all) cases thieves...

Kinda shows the areas where you spend your time.

Actually in Thailand two gay men or two lesbiens or indeed transgenders can walk the streets hand in hand and kissing and canoodling and nobody say's anything or thinks anything untwoards but the minute two heterosexuals start to kiss they all yell "not our culture! be polite ..show respect!" or things to that effect

How odd!

I call bullsh*t.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/11/04/cultural-conservatives-humiliate-lesbian-couple-making-out-bts-video

• Like 1

Live and let live BUT it is a FACT that many (not all) ladyboys, or whatever you want to call them, are aggressive and nasty. I hate walking past a group of them and have seen them go 'bazzerk' on many occasions and they can be really spiteful.

I avoid them at all costs for these reasons not because I am biased against them. BTW Tom's can be just the same - jealous and spiteful nutcases. They can call them what they want but they are chicks with d***s at the end of the day and they can't change their chromosomes even if they get the chop.

Not only can they not change their chromosomes they still produce hormones - not estrogen which probably accounts for the aggressiveness when in a pack? My missus will never employ one because at some stage, it will go wrong with it.

Live and let live BUT it is a FACT that many (not all) ladyboys, or whatever you want to call them, are aggressive and nasty. I hate walking past a group of them and have seen them go 'bazzerk' on many occasions and they can be really spiteful.

I avoid them at all costs for these reasons not because I am biased against them. BTW Tom's can be just the same - jealous and spiteful nutcases. They can call them what they want but they are chicks with d***s at the end of the day and they can't change their chromosomes even if they get the chop.

Not only can they not change their chromosomes they still produce hormones - not estrogen which probably accounts for the aggressiveness when in a pack? My missus will never employ one because at some stage, it will go wrong with it.

Or maybe she is scared you will be 'converted'.

Every time I have been in a 'pack' recently, there was no aggression. So, you are saying all people with 'male hormones' will be aggressive if in a 'pack'?

Every time I have been in a 'pack' recently, there was no aggression. So, you are saying all people with 'male hormones' will be aggressive if in a 'pack'?

A pack of thieving reprobatess will become aggressive in the right circumstances... Football crowds ring any bells with you? Have you ever watched a session in the house of commons? But to qualify your question, no I was saying all people with male hormones will be aggressive in a pack but I am saying it's more likely than when they're on their own. As for my missus being worried I will be converted? Well, actually I thank ladyboys and people like you as it leaves more real women for real us men. I would have to say that unlike you, I haven't been in a pack of gays before except maybe one time when a friend of mine asked me and my mate Becca to go with her to a pub quiz in a gay pub in Bournemouth. They were pretty aggressive towards us even asking our friend why she brought "breeders" into their pub! Enjoy your life on your bar stool mush.

I confess ive never known a country with so many.... well cant call it anything but masses of sexually confused people i guess.

Each to their own, live and let live n all that but boy theres a huge proportion in Thailand compared to anywhere else ive lived or been, open or otherwise.

Have no problem with there being a 3rd gender simply because it really does seem sometimes its 1 in 3 anyway. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if there were more transsexuals than gay in Thailand, least thats how it seems on the surface.

Id love to know the scientific reason for this. ( if there is one )

My theory, for what it's worth, is that in most cases it is more a financial reason than a scientific reason.

Thai men are a lot more feminine in appearance compared to western men, so it is easier to "make the change", but the main reason they do it is because as a ladyboy they can make a lot more money than they can washing dishes or working on a building site.

To some the lifestyle is attractive and they see it as a way to become financially independent.

I am sure there are some who just want to be ladies and don't end up working in bars. A lot of them work in the floral, clothing and wedding businesses.

When we were married in Chiang Mai the person who looked after our photos and wedding clothes was a ladyboy and she did a great job for us. My wife and I have been friends with her ever since.

Do you REALLY believe this bovine excrement you are writing?

They see it as a financial opportunity?

If you would engage some more brain cells, you might ask yourself, how good a financial opportunity has to be, in order to go through hormonal- therapy, with all the side- effects or multiple operations, to turn from a man into a woman (or the other way round).

How much money, has to be in there, to take the abuse and the discrimination, which also happens here in Thailand!

• Like 2

Yes plenty of ignorant people think people become transgender for money.

It is true some transgender people financially exploit their nature ... in the entertainment and sex industry ... but that's an entirely different thing than suggesting many boys wake up and say, I think I'll be a girl so I can be in ladyboy cabaret!

Edited by Jingthing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Thailand, the most common transgender-like category is the kathoey, who are individuals born biologically male, but who may take on female gender identity (i.e. conceive of themselves as female), gender expression (i.e., express/present themselves as female), or sexual characteristics (i.e. undergo gender confirmation/sexual reassignment surgery). The colloquial English translation of kathoey is “ladyboy.”

Again a confused Western journalist.

No, "Kathoey" is not a word reserved for biological males who conceive of themselves as females. There is a full range of gender identites, kathoey covers everything from effeminate gay, to what people call "shemales" (i.e. kathoeys happy with their in-between status and their appendage) until "transgenders", i.e. people who conceive of themselves as females...

Why can't this myth of "female trapped in a male body" no be done away with ? It's true only for a minority.

"It's true only for a minority"

Is it then for the majority to decide what is truth for the minority? Throughout the history of the world it has been the truth of the minority that has led in the foundations of new religions and science. Jesus and Abū al-Qāsim Muḥammad stood alone for their beliefs against society. Aristotle, Galileo. and Newton singularly pressed their truths against whole civilizations. If something is true only for a minority, then the majority lives a lie.

The specific semantics of gender identity are being debated in many societies. Thailand has a cultural tradition around these issues that is quite different than in the west. But that doesn't mean that Thailand is a paradise for those with different than standard gender identities.

I have nothing against Third gender people. Let them be happy the way they are as long as they do not bother me or try in any way to pretend to be something they are not towards me.

That being said, why are all Lotus cash registers populated almost exclusively with these third gender people and why are they all fat and ugly? anyone has an answer to that? I can only assume the managers of all lotus stores are transgender too.

Well, they can pretend what they want towards me, as long as they don't cause any troubles.

Fat and ugly, I was in a BigC Extra yesterday....not downtown a bit outside and I must tell most people there were fat and ugly....men, women, ladyboys, toms and the few farangs. I felt like back home in Farangland. Surely McDonalds, KFC and Coke is changing the visual appearance of the Thais the same way as it did the Americans....

Does anyone else notice that we never really hear much on TVF about Toms and Dees?

Since most people know where to look, and you seem to be interested, try here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/27-gay-people-in-thailand/

Perhaps you might meet Major Tom or Jimmy Dee. They are very nice people from what I've heard.

I wonder how many of these people turn to crime in order to get money to pay for their sex changes. Although this type of surgery is relatively cheap in Thailand compared to the west, the cost for an average Thai would be horrendous. I don't suppose these operations are provided by the State as they are in some Countries.

The swelling numbers of katoeys is a disaster.. I wouldnt be surprised if theyve contributed to the decline in western tourist numbers.

Theyre thieving boys with tits. Nothing to do with ladies. Bar girls havent got much to do with ladies either.

I think your a little prejudiced, in fact I think your a know nothing fool. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

I confess ive never known a country with so many.... well cant call it anything but masses of sexually confused people i guess.

Each to their own, live and let live n all that but boy theres a huge proportion in Thailand compared to anywhere else ive lived or been, open or otherwise.

Have no problem with there being a 3rd gender simply because it really does seem sometimes its 1 in 3 anyway. In fact it wouldnt surprise me if there were more transsexuals than gay in Thailand, least thats how it seems on the surface.

Its all about that money, no treble

The swelling numbers of katoeys is a disaster.. I wouldnt be surprised if theyve contributed to the decline in western tourist numbers.

Theyre thieving boys with tits. Nothing to do with ladies. Bar girls havent got much to do with ladies either.

I think your a little prejudiced, in fact I think your a know nothing fool. wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Why half of what he says is true

Whatever, its their country.

Barring gay men from enteting the country and especially working with children +2.

Don't they have enough toilets and parks to pick up strangers and enough glory holes to visit at home? Why come here to exploit young men half and one third their age?

I needva shower...ugh.

Men cken Strange name for a homophobic bigot. I ask why are you in Thailand ?? are you a Jesuit trying to convert all Buddhas friends to some other

faith ??

You seem too know lots about how to pick up men !!!.

Or are you one of the many anti gay who used to play doctors with their "boy" friends when younger and now deny it ever happened.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In Thailand, the most common transgender-like category is the kathoey, who are individuals born biologically male, but who may take on female gender identity (i.e. conceive of themselves as female), gender expression (i.e., express/present themselves as female), or sexual characteristics (i.e. undergo gender confirmation/sexual reassignment surgery). The colloquial English translation of kathoey is “ladyboy.”

Again a confused Western journalist.

No, "Kathoey" is not a word reserved for biological males who conceive of themselves as females. There is a full range of gender identites, kathoey covers everything from effeminate gay, to what people call "shemales" (i.e. kathoeys happy with their in-between status and their appendage) until "transgenders", i.e. people who conceive of themselves as females...

Why can't this myth of "female trapped in a male body" no be done away with ? It's true only for a minority.

"It's true only for a minority"

Is it then for the majority to decide what is truth for the minority? Throughout the history of the world it has been the truth of the minority that has led in the foundations of new religions and science. Jesus and Abū al-Qāsim Muḥammad stood alone for their beliefs against society. Aristotle, Galileo. and Newton singularly pressed their truths against whole civilizations. If something is true only for a minority, then the majority lives a lie.

reading your post, I got the impression that we in fact agree ?

yes, the majority believing that all ladyboys conceive themselves as females trapped in a man's body is living a lie.

Yes I agree. I too have wondered why there are so many. And even more confusing to me is that so many gays think that they have to dress like women. In all my time living in California I met and worked with plenty of gay men and women, but I only met one transgender.

I think in Thialand, there is great pressure to dress and act like a lady if a boy is acting "girlish." I've talked to teacher friends of mine that say even effeminate boys at the ripe old age of six are already being called "she" by their class mates.

They are almost pressured or pushed into it and convinced that this is the way they should be since they are gay. Not to mention Thai TV which seems to require that every show have at least one cross-dresser.

I don't get it.

Still the bottom line for me is I don't care. The quality of the person is what matters and their heart.

It does seem that Thailand has far more 'Ladyboys' than anywhere else I've been. My theory is that there is so much pressure on young men to be philanderers that those young men who do not have strong, male-oriented, sex drives, avoid the pressure by becoming feminine. Many of my male friends have mia noi (minor wives), giks (girlfriends with benefits), patronize 'soapies' and karaoke bars. The peer pressure to be a 'stud' is very strong in this country and some young men just can't stand the pressure so they become 'women' and are then left alone. Just a theory of mine.

A pack of thieving reprobatess will become aggressive in the right circumstances... Football crowds ring any bells with you? Have you ever watched a session in the house of commons? But to qualify your question, no I was saying all people with male hormones will be aggressive in a pack but I am saying it's more likely than when they're on their own. As for my missus being worried I will be converted? Well, actually I thank ladyboys and people like you as it leaves more real women for real us men. I would have to say that unlike you, I haven't been in a pack of gays before except maybe one time when a friend of mine asked me and my mate Becca to go with her to a pub quiz in a gay pub in Bournemouth. They were pretty aggressive towards us even asking our friend why she brought "breeders" into their pub! Enjoy your life on your bar stool mush.

Pure comedy gold - packs of gays and breeders???

Amazing how the mention of ladyboys brings out either the sniggering childish dolts, crowing about men with dicks, and other stupidity. And then the swivel eyed loons, with their conspiracy theories about every transgender person is in it for the money, they are all thieves, or if we don't all watch it we will all be taking it up the arse while wearing a dress and swinging a handbag.

This is about basic human rights, the right of a person to choose their gender identity, you really can't get your thick head around that?

In Thai traditional society there is a role for trans but not a role for the modern concept of gay. So yes it's plausible that many Thai boys who would identify as gay in the west feel that a trans identify is easier in their social environment.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Thai traditional society there is a role for trans but not a role for the modern concept of gay. So yes it's plausible that many Thai boys who would identify as gay in the west feel that a trans identify is easier in their social environment.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Aha, curious.

What role is that?

Pure comedy gold - packs of gays and breeders???

Amazing how the mention of ladyboys brings out either the sniggering childish dolts, crowing about men with dicks, and other stupidity. And then the swivel eyed loons, with their conspiracy theories about every transgender person is in it for the money, they are all thieves, or if we don't all watch it we will all be taking it up the arse while wearing a dress and swinging a handbag.

This is about basic human rights, the right of a person to choose their gender identity, you really can't get your thick head around that?

and my Reply to English_M_in_Bkk

It's true!! They were calling me and Becca "breeders"!! We are as it happens, just not together, we both have kids. To be honest, I couldn't care less about them, they leave me alone which is handy and the chances of me frequenting places where shims gather is very small. If I do come across one working in a coffee shop or whatever then they get courtesy from me if I get it from them - but that would be the same for a man or woman too. As for me being thick-headed? Because my opinion might be different from yours doesn't mean I'm thick-headed, it means my opinion is different from yours and the fact you cannot either see that or accept that would make you the dullard here, not me. We are what we are but if these people want to flounce about pretending to be birds, great. Just don't expect me not to have my views on it all. You want to party with them? Go for it, who cares?

Yes I agree. I too have wondered why there are so many. And even more confusing to me is that so many gays think that they have to dress like women. In all my time living in California I met and worked with plenty of gay men and women, but I only met one transgender.

I think in Thialand, there is great pressure to dress and act like a lady if a boy is acting "girlish." I've talked to teacher friends of mine that say even effeminate boys at the ripe old age of six are already being called "she" by their class mates.

They are almost pressured or pushed into it and convinced that this is the way they should be since they are gay. Not to mention Thai TV which seems to require that every show have at least one cross-dresser.

I don't get it.

Still the bottom line for me is I don't care. The quality of the person is what matters and their heart.

It does seem that Thailand has far more 'Ladyboys' than anywhere else I've been. My theory is that there is so much pressure on young men to be philanderers that those young men who do not have strong, male-oriented, sex drives, avoid the pressure by becoming feminine. Many of my male friends have mia noi (minor wives), giks (girlfriends with benefits), patronize 'soapies' and karaoke bars. The peer pressure to be a 'stud' is very strong in this country and some young men just can't stand the pressure so they become 'women' and are then left alone. Just a theory of mine.

It is also apparently self perpetuating.

there isn't a huge amount of stigma to boys acting in an effeminate manner in Thailand because there is a common explanation, although no one can tell me what exactly it was. So, boys become a figure of fun for acting like a girl, and so the circle is closed.

I saw a boy pole dancing in a tank top at the age of 6 or 7 and the crowds whooped and shouted for him to do more. He even ended up on tv a few weeks later. I found it all very baudy and very sad.

There are "lady boys" working in shops, airlines, businesses all over Thailand. They are not only in sex industry by any means. Thais seem to accept this without question. It is only our western bias that finds a problem

Actually, in general Thai society transgenders are only accepted in a very limited range of professions. Generally LOW LEVEL. Plus of course entertainment and sex work. There is a severe stigma against transgenders here ... look deeper than the superficial.

Actually in Thailand two gay men or two lesbiens or indeed transgenders can walk the streets hand in hand and kissing and canoodling and nobody say's anything or thinks anything untwoards but the minute two heterosexuals start to kiss they all yell "not our culture! be polite ..show respect!" or things to that effect

How odd!

I don't think that's correct. See this recent clip of a tom and dee canoodling on the Sky train - caused quite a stir in the Thai media.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774018-lesbian-kisses-in-bts-got-bullies-by-other-passengers/page-3#entry8633460