Thai Police warn parents of Valentine's Day 'dangers'

webfact

Thai Police Warn Parents of Valentine's Day 'Dangers'
By Khaosod English

14235484641423549246l.jpg
A flower market in Bangkok on 13 Feb 2014.

BANGKOK — As a part of an annual campaign to keep young people in line on Valentine's Day, the Royal Thai Police have warned parents to inform their children of the "dangers" associated with the occasion.

Parents, guardians, and teachers should instruct children to be extra careful on Valentine's Day this Saturday, Pol.Maj.Gen. Patipat Suban na Aytthaya said in a press conference yesterday.

“They should tell the children to be careful and take care of themselves. They should also ask for cooperation from children to avoid risky behavior on that day,"Pol.Maj.Gen. Patipat said.

Valentine’s Day has become a widely-celebrated in Thailand in recent decades. According to a report compiled by Kasikorn Bank, spending around the holiday last year amounted to 1.5 billion baht.

However, authorities in Thailand – a socially conservative country despite its freewheeling sex industry – frown upon the holiday, as it is perceived to encourage premarital sex. Every year, police and state agencies launch a campaign to ensure that Thai youths refrain from "inappropriate activities."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1423548464

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-02-10

Have you seen the size of some of those thorns on rose stems. I say "Well done, the police!" Do the carefree, mostly uneducated, youth of Thailand know of this lurking hidden danger? Obviously not! But as ever, high ranking, RTP officers are on the case.

I hate to be pedantic (not really), but roses don't have thorns (despite the Poison song), they have prickles. And it is pricks the RTP are warning about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorns,_spines,_and_prickles

• Like 2

It may surprise some that there are always more children born worldwide in the last 6 months of the Gregorian calendar than in the first 6. Valentine's Day may well be part of the reason.

Occam's razor suggests otherwise.

Winter Time plus nine months, or just nine months after Christmas / New Year ?

It may surprise some that there are always more children born worldwide in the last 6 months of the Gregorian calendar than in the first 6. Valentine's Day may well be part of the reason.

Occam's razor suggests otherwise.

Winter Time plus nine months, or just nine months after Christmas / New Year ?

No. Next guess.

Have you seen the size of some of those thorns on rose stems. I say "Well done, the police!" Do the carefree, mostly uneducated, youth of Thailand know of this lurking hidden danger? Obviously not! But as ever, high ranking, RTP officers are on the case.

I hate to be pedantic (not really), but roses don't have thorns (despite the Poison song), they have prickles. And it is pricks the RTP are warning about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorns,_spines,_and_prickles

prickles. - what a wonderful word. I'm gonna see how many times, in one day, I can use that word.

And if I can be just a little pedantic - what does 'I hate to be pedantic (not really)' really mean?

Why not just change it to "no boom boom day" in Thailand

Every year the same message

Thailand suffers from ground hog day ..... deja vue all over again

Educate the kids in school .... parents won't and don't do it

Not sure. Let's ask the TAT first what they think would be a good slogan to promote tourism rolleyes.gif

prickles. - what a wonderful word. I'm gonna see how many times, in one day, I can use that word.

And if I can be just a little pedantic - what does 'I hate to be pedantic (not really)' really mean?

It means I am polite, but really don't mind being pedantic.

• Like 1

That's rich.

Worthless, corrupt hypocrites preaching "morality".

facepalm.gif

Since when has it been the job of RTP anyway?

Last year it was the exact same message but from the culture. Ministry. Instead of trying to "control" unplanned pregnancies within the youth many would suggest they focus more their "noble" cause on more.pmore.pressing internal matter which have a far greater impact on the country and its' poverty and education rates.

• Like 1

Parents, guardians, and teachers should instruct children to be extra careful on Valentine's Day this Saturday, Pol.Maj.Gen. Patipat Suban na Aytthaya said in a press conference yesterday

Please tell me that this guy is not the daddy of the woman who killed some people with her car, when speeding quite a few moons ago. Please.

I don't think that there're too many with the same surname around. Does anybody remember this accident?

• Like 1

Maybe they'll just ban it next year for 'happiness' even though it is HAPPY Valentines day to begin with....

Maybe by this time next year unmarried sex will be banned too along with all the other deviant sexing they are thinking of banning. Then we can just call it unhappy valentines day.

You know what they say! The bigger the thorn the smaller the pen--!

I would say those big thorned roses are a big seller here to Thais.

:D

:lol: