How to watch TV from your homeland while in Thailand

Foxter

I posted a few months ago, advice on how to view TV from the UK while in Thailand.

I found out that its all to do with the address of your I.S.P. (Internet Service Provider) address, so when I try to look at the BBC iPlayer or ITV iPlayer to look at the programmes, it won’t let me as it knows where I am viewing from and won’t let me have access.

So what to do, well I asked about trying to get a UK I.S.P. address while I am in Thailand, now this can be done, but it is a bit of a pain.

Well I have found out how to do this and it’s all legal and above board.

So you get an electrical item called a Slingbox, (They cost from £50mup to £200 or more) a friend in your home country and a free TV box or cable TV.

It works in a simple way,

1) You have a friend or relative in your home country who has Internet.

2) You then connect the slingbox to a Cable box or free TV box

3) You connect it to the internet.

4) Best not connect the TV box to a TV as you will solely be using the free box

4) Register at singbox to get an account ( At no cost, and no reoccurring cost either)

5) Go on line to your slingbox account and see if you are connected. Also get the Slingbox app.

What happens now is simple, you go on line, no matter where in the world and watch your freebox or cable on your PC , (or if you have apple TV or Google crome, connected to your TV )

So you are using , from Thailand, a UK ( Or other country) TV box or cable. Depending on the quality of your freebox, you can record or lots of programmes. The remote control will also appear on your screen , its just like being there.

If there are any problems all you need to do is call your friend or relative and they can switch the slingbox off then on, and all it needs to do is sit in a corner somewhere out of the way.

I hope this helps some people.

If you want to have a look go to their website at http://uk.slingbox.com/

Hide My Ass! operates the most popular browser based web proxy online, this is our official extension that enables you to easily redirect your web traffic through our anonymous proxy network: It is a Firefox add-on.

Are you in Thailand? Does HMA also works with http://www.npo.nl/live (Dutch live tv broadcast, shitty quality though) just wonder.

UKTV 600 baht month, no buffering.

UKTV no longer exists.

I paid 3000B last year for a 1 year subscription, UKTV was bought out by ExpatTV a month later. A year on and ExpatTV want 6000B from me to renew. No thanks. The convenience was OK at 3000B, but I'm not paying double just because they bought out the only competition.

Hola, Zenmate, Hidemyass, VPN, many ways to do it. Personally, I'm going to go with ilikehdtv.com at about 400B/month which includes all the sport, then download anything I want on demand.

Hide My Ass! operates the most popular browser based web proxy online, this is our official extension that enables you to easily redirect your web traffic through our anonymous proxy network: It is a Firefox add-on.

Are you in Thailand? Does HMA also works with http://www.npo.nl/live (Dutch live tv broadcast, shitty quality though) just wonder.

1)Yes.

2)It loads without a proxy.

Stream plays without HMA?? Realy?

Anonymox is another firefox add-on that works for the i-player.

• Like 1

Thats clearly not 'the easy way' !! Posting hardware, multiple accounts, calling people to rest boxes.. Jeez..

Just install hola plug in on a browser.. Or theres a multitude of streaming services are available for small $$..

Or simply learn to install kodi and use add ons like FTV, gemini, etc..

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 2

I pay ฿1700 each 4 months for ExpatTV. All the BBC and ITV channels plus movies plus Australia+. great value via my wi-fi

They've not offered me that, would be a bit more tempting.

Could I suggest you read their web site?

They have all the packages, with and without the TV box. If your computer gets wi-fi, then that's all you need. Watch it directly. I'm running 3BB 10Mb, and it's excellent quality, stereo.

If I had a half decent TV in my condo, I'd get the box instead of running my computer.

All this hassle to watch Coronation Street and Eastenders ? No thanks; i've got WETV for 350 Baht a month and plenty of English speaking channels and live Premiership football at the weekends courtesy of Vietnamese TV with English commentary. Can't see a single reason why i would want more.

USTVNow via their website, no VPN required, either their free plan with relatively low-res streaming access to the major U.S. OTA networks, or their paid cable TV package, delivered via Slingbox-type software, that includes the OTA networks and a package of 20 or so cable channels for about $30 per month with at least SD resolution.

The techie inclined can also access those same options via USTVNow add ons for Kodi/XBMC.

I pay ฿1700 each 4 months for ExpatTV. All the BBC and ITV channels plus movies plus Australia+. great value via my wi-fi

They've not offered me that, would be a bit more tempting.

Could I suggest you read their web site?

Just looked, not on there, only advertising 600B per month or 900B for premium

Blimey, so many options. Which one can I do right now without paying more than 500 baht and actually works really well? (Setting up tiresome proxys or hola, that work sometimes, is not a solution.)

I know how torrents work but it's not good at finding stuff you haven't heard of yet.

Kodi looks good. Can someone write a guide on how to use it?

Thats clearly not 'the easy way' !! Posting hardware, multiple accounts, calling people to rest boxes.. Jeez..

Just install hola plug in on a browser.. Or theres a multitude of streaming services are available for small $$..

Or simply learn to install kodi and use add ons like FTV, gemini, etc..

Edited by wondercul

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as another vote for Expat TV - well worth the cost - and so is 365Sports IMO.

ExpatTV has many UK channels (BBC ITV etc) and they have some US and one AUS and a Movies channel (plus the movies on the others) and kids channels and docos etc.

BUT the big plus is that they record every show - so you can watch them either live or anytime over the next 12 days - decisions decisions.

365Sports does the same - plus they have some HD channels - they broadcast mulitiple sports and record for viewing up to 8 days later (Golf biggrin.png World Cup Cricket Ski Racing Racing etc etc etc).

https://www.thaiexpat.tv/index.php

https://www.365sport.tv/index.php

Expat TV offers a free trial - give it a go, or you'll never know laugh.png

All you need is a 3mbps line (ADSL). Their website says 3Mbps but like so many others, the difference between Megabits and MegaBytes got lost (ADSL peaks at about 20mbps or about 2.5MBps).

I don't care a great deal about the expense, but I do care about getting good access to American content with out slowing down internet speeds. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

I'm more than happy to get ExpatTV and some good British, Aussie programs.

No need at all to have guns to make a decent show.