Witness

Hua Hin Immigration have asked me to provide a "witness" for my first extension of stay ( marriage to a Thai 400k in the bank)

Is that correct and who must this witness be? someone i drag off the street? someone I know? how long must they have known me? seems a bit odd.

Went there today and the immigration officer was a right condescending git to be honest, he threw his pen down saying we knew nothing despite a man outside checking our documents before we went in saying all was ok.

Edited by kannot

A witness to what aspect of the application? Witness to the marriage? Witness that you live with your Thai wife? Or What?

absolutely no idea, he just said we need a witness to come to the office with us.

Its my first extension of stay, married to a Thai have more than 400k in the bank and the immigration papers we got before applying do not mention a witness.......like you said....witness to what?

I did find an old thread here where someone said they asked for 2 witnesses? on their extension of stay application

Edited by kannot

I can see you intend to enjoy a long term "good " relationship with the Immigration service. smile.png

A "witness " is someone, a Thai neighbor perhaps, who is able to substantiate the claim you make about living within a de jure and defacto marriage

I can see you intend to enjoy a long term "good " relationship with the Immigration service. smile.png

A "witness " is someone, a Thai neighbor perhaps, who is able to substantiate the claim you make about living within a de jure and defacto marriage

he was a really condescending man, my Wife said to him "why are you talking to us like this, its your job to help us with what we need to do".............he improved slighty after she said that.

Not only that but the paper they gave us telling us what we needed to bring did not mention half of the things we should have brought. It did not mention for example " copy of marriage certificate" no mention anywhere of photos of us in the house or outside the house either although we had taken some with us anyway but none indoors in the house but outside pointing to the house number etc

The witness Ive found out is to say as you said we are married.

Im taking one of my staff.................... sufficient? after all they know me and my Wife are married BUT they dont specify "how long" the witness must have known us

My local immigration office also demanded that we bring a witness, and required that it be the local "Pu Yai Baan" from our Moo Baan. They wouldn't accept anyone else.

Which was a bit of a pain, since it was a 2h drive to immigration, so we weren't very happy about having to inconvenience the Pu Yai Baan so much. We also felt we needed to take some older family members with us so he'd have someone to talk to. But we felt particularly embaressed, as when he got there he had to wait in the queue with us for about 1-2hours, and then when they did call him up, they only spoke to him for literally 2 minutes, if that. So we wasted about 6h of his time, so that he could talk to immigration for 2 minutes (My wife gave him an envelop with some money in it, but we still felt immigration was mucking us around, which in turn mucked him around).

However, from what I've heard, not every immigration office requires the Pu Yai Baan to come, and some will allow normal witnesses to come.

Sorry but it is not immigration officers job to help you.

It is your responsibity toprovide correct documentian and witnesses if requested.

They ask for witnesses for marraige exxtentions, because in the past many farangs lied/ tried cheating to get extentions they were not entitled to.

Remember last year official at Amphur near Khonkaen selling marraige papers, 192 foreigners were caught out.

This is why immigration do this now.

If your application is genuine you have no worries.

• Like 1

It is your responsibity toprovide correct documentian and witnesses if requested.

They ask for witnesses for marraige exxtentions, because in the past many farangs lied/ tried cheating to get extentions they were not entitled to.

Remember last year official at Amphur near Khonkaen selling marraige papers, 192 foreigners were caught out.

Oh really, well we went there a week before to ask them EXACTLY what we needed to bring...we were handed this piece of paper, we supplied everything on it, it does not say how long the money must be in the bank, it does not say copy of marriage cert, it does not say witness in fact it does not mention many things.

If you cant ask immigration tell me who do you ask?

Not only that but before you go in a man outside checks all your documents are in order before forwarding you inside to take a ticket.

The evidence to show status of Husband????????? what does that mean?

Edited by kannot

Oh really, well we went there a week before to ask them EXACTLY what we needed to bring...we were handed this piece of paper, we supplied everything on it, it does not say how long the money must be in the bank, it does not say copy of marriage cert, it does not say witness in fact it does not mention many things.

If you cant ask immigration tell me who do you ask?

Not only that but before you go in a man outside checks all your documents are in order before forwarding you inside to take a ticket.

The evidence to show status of Husband????????? what does that mean?

You were treated like sh!t, it's as simple as that. I've never had any issues with them in Hua Hin and I'm surprised to hear this.

Maybe take his photo if there's any issues next time around.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Marriage certificate is on the list. I assume you have never dealt with immigration before. If you had you would of known that you need originals and copies of everything.

Did they also tell you that you needed a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. You might want to be sure you include that also or you will have to get one.

Many of the lists handed out by immigration offices I have seen are incomplete and/or outdated.

The witness is to confirm you are living together as husband and wife. Not that your are married. Some offices will ask for one instead of doing a home visit.

Marriage certificate is on the list. I assume you have never dealt with immigration before. If you had you would of known that you need originals and copies of everything.

Did they also tell you that you needed a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. You might want to be sure you include that also or you will have to get one.

Many of the lists handed out by immigration offices I have seen are incomplete and/or outdated.

The witness is to confirm you are living together as husband and wife. Not that your are married. Some offices will ask for one instead of doing a home visit.

My neighbours recently asked my wife to go with them to Chiang Mai immigration to testify that they lived where they said they lived. She was not asked about their marital status.

No I havent dealt with them before.............yes I know marriage cert is required BUT look at their list of requirements its got missing information just about everywhere.

It does NOT say "copy" of marriage cert amongst many other things.

We specifically went 1 week before to ask what was required and got handed this info list of what they wanted which is not complete it needs a radical update including the requirement for marriage cert being updated also ( not mentioned)

As you stated a lot of info missing..................above all that though was the immigration officers attitude, just throwing his pen down at our papers as if to say " you stupid farang you dont have half of what I need"

The witness part should be interesting when they ask him............... I live in Pranburi whilst my Wife lives in Bangkok, she comes down maybe every 10 days 2 weeks stays for 3-4 days then back to work

Been back today with everything they asked for, got the ticket.....number 5........sods law?????????? its the same man...............immediately he goes into his "im looking down on you" view.

He goes through our papers and says photo of us on the bed does not show enough of the bed and walks off.

My Wife speaks to another officer there and she says " see that man at the end there, he's the boss, go tell him what happened the first time and now" as she said the photo was fine.

Wife sees the boss and the man is summoned over to him.

he comes back to his desk with a vastly improved manner.

He then proceeds to drone on about " he can tell immediately when the applicant is a bargirl" etc....talk about bad attitude and pre judgement.

He asks my Wife what is her salary...............I thought this will now get interesting, she casually says 300k a month......................hes all ears after this point.

We got it all done but this guy isnt so good. He is leaving in 8 weeks and they will be much better off without him.

Not mentioned in any way on their pamphlet of " what you need"

We brought a witness but then they said "oh the witness must be from this province"............ours was from Chaing Mai.