Factory Standard Throttle Cable Slack - CBR650F

WingNut

I was thinking about removing the standard throttle cable play on my CBR650F. I did it before on my CBR250R to remove the standard slack that is set by the factory and I'm used to riding that way now. It's fine and I prefer the throttle to not have any play at all actually.

Has anyone done this on their CBR650F and are there any downsides to doing it other than the bike could thrust forward too quickly if the throttle is more sensitive and your not ready for it?

Your service manual will call for a recommended range of throttle cable slack- this is for a few reasons, like ensuring that your throttle bodies can fully close, and to avoid putting tension on the cable when the bars are at full lock (if you do try to adjust all the slack out of it, make sure you test it by seeing if the revs rise at full lock before riding it). There's also a safety concern where if you're on an uneven surface and want to keep the throttle closed, bumps from the road can cause your hand to move slightly, opening the throttle when you don't want it to, and a little slack can prevent this.

Personally, I'd leave at least a couple millimeters of slack rather than remove it all.

• Like 1

there was a bit slack - for my taste, for may no problems - when i first got my cbr650f but they adjusted it right away. i do not need any more adjustments and it is good until now - 22 k kms.

a lot of tension on the cable is not so good for the points RSD clarified nicely.

Thanks RSD. I don't think I have the service manual, only the owner's manual. Is there an Englidh PDF of it somewhere?

Also, do you know what the factory standard setting might be right now in terms of MM perhaps? Cheers...

Service manuals are available for sale, but I'd imagine you could find a free download somewhere (an assembly and preparation manual is also a good thing to have if you can find one).

My own service manual calls for 2-3mm of play- that's likely standard for most bikes.

Thank you everyone for your great input on this. I found this video helpful too and tightened my throttle cable accordingly. I had way too much slack in my opinion and perhaps it even stretched a bit since I got the bike and maybe that had also added to the slack. I felt like my wrist had to twist too far to reach the midway point of the throttle before making the adjustment. So I think it should ride more effortlessly now.

Edited by WingNut