Queensland on alert as Australia's northeast braces for double cyclone hit

webfact

Queensland on alert as Australia’s northeast braces for double cyclone hit
Reuters in Sydney

SYDNEY: -- Two cyclones bearing down on northeastern Australia dramatically intensified on Thursday as emergency officials warned residents to take shelter on higher ground ahead of torrential rain and flooding, destructive winds and massive seas.

Cyclone Marcia is predicted to intensify to a category 4 system – the second highest rating – as it crosses the northeast Queensland coast on Friday morning with destructive winds up to 270km/h expected near the core of the system, according to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.

“This very dangerous cyclone is now at category four intensity and continuing to intensify extremely rapidly,” the weather bureau’s latest tropical cyclone advice said.

Meteorologists also expect Cyclone Lam, with winds near the centre of 140km/h and gusts up to 195km/h is forecast to make landfall in the remote Northern Territory late Thursday or early Friday.

Lam has already forced some 350 residents to evacuate exposed offshore islands and prompted emergency officials to warn remaining residents to seek shelter on higher ground.

“Our message to Queenslanders is start getting ready now,” said state premier Annastacia Palaszczuk.

Full story: http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1719211/australias-northeast-braces-double-cyclone-hit

-- South China Morning Post 2015-02-20

• Like 1

'Destructive' tropical cyclone Marcia hits Queensland

(BBC) A "very destructive" storm has hit the coast of Queensland, forcing evacuations from coastal communities, Australian officials say.

Forecasters warn Category Five tropical cyclone Marcia - with wind gusts up to 285km/h (177 mph) - is bringing heavy rain and "abnormally high tides".

The cyclone made landfall between St Lawrence and Yeppoon.

Separately, Category Four tropical cyclone Lam hit the Northern Territory, causing power cuts for thousands.

The storm - with winds reaching 230km/h - struck Elcho Island and is moving south-west. Local residents said roofs had been torn off from a number of houses and trees uprooted.

There have been no reports of injuries there, and the storm was later downgraded to Category Three as it continued moving inland.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-31544694

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-02-20

• Like 1

Queensland is no paradise thats for sure way to many floods these days and maybe time to rethink the states future.

Cyclones arnt a new thing for Queensland and I'm not sure it can be changed. I. Not sure what you mean by rethink the future.

Are you proposing everyone leaves queensland ?

• Like 1

I'm in Yeppoon right now and the eye has just passed...Starting to pick up again...

Roofs blown off and windows blown in on neighbour's properties...

Big clean up to come...

Wish I was back in Chiang Mai...

I'm not far south of you either.

BOM just downgraded Marcia at 1pm to Cat 3.

She is losing ferocity which is good as Rocky gets it.

Good luck up there, hope you don't have too much damage

I spent a year in Australia and came to respect and love the Ozhabitants like close cousins.

This is a very dangerous situation.

Get out!!

sad.png

Much safer to sit in a Cat 3 than roam the flooded streets and causeways.

Marcia is moving slowly and shifting a load of water.

Sunshine Coast and Brisbane getting massive amounts of rain atm. Torrential in parts.

It's quiet warm, the sea temp too.

Beach front houses...

Thanks for posting Dave.

How did your place go?

Beachfront can be a real pain when it comes to taking the brunt of this stuff. Looks like all those places lost portions of their roofing.

It's still cat 3 but so we hat weaker, Rocky is getting gusts of 115km.

Beach front houses...

Thanks for posting Dave.

How did your place go?

Beachfront can be a real pain when it comes to taking the brunt of this stuff. Looks like all those places lost portions of their roofing.

How's the Gold Coast fairing ? neverdie

Beach front houses...

Thanks for posting Dave.

How did your place go?

No idea, I'm a long way from the GC.

I believe Brisvegas got some heavy rain and I just got a PM from another member on the Sunshine Coast who said he'd had a bit of rain.

The GC could do with a good wash......nothing short of a Cat 5 cyclone would clean the crapp up down there. ?

Did you get all of the rain they forecast? I read that 300 to 500mm could be expected.

Could do with 20mm here in Chiang Mai!!

Some places got a lot of rain but I'm not sure anyone got 500mm yet.

It's a strange thing. I just checked Noosa, it had just 18mm of rain since 9am and a short distance south of there, Maroochydore, they had 120mm. So go figure.

The Cyclone has just been downgraded to Cat 2. Good Riddance.

Edited by neverdie

Did you get all of the rain they forecast? I read that 300 to 500mm could be expected.

It's a strange thing. I just checked Noosa, it had just 18mm of rain since 9am and a short distance south of there, Maroochydore, they had 120mm. So go figure.

So, are you out of the woods yet ND?

I'm always in the woods. :P

It's dark again here and it's very wet, I believe several local roads are under but it's not so bad here now, bit of rain.

I believe it's passing me on the inland and Should really start to lose intensity now, I believe it's around Biloela.

I haven't seen the news about the poor buggers in Yeppoon and Rocky and how they went. Beachfront is nice when the suns shining, not much fun when the Cyclones are coming ashore.

• Like 1

I'm always in the woods. tongue.png

It's dark again here and it's very wet, I believe several local roads are under but it's not so bad here now, bit of rain.

I believe it's passing me on the inland and Should really start to lose intensity now, I believe it's around Biloela.

I haven't seen the news about the poor buggers in Yeppoon and Rocky and how they went. Beachfront is nice when the suns shining, not much fun when the Cyclones are coming ashore.

Well just holler if you need any help and I'll have my wellington boots and flasher mac on in jiffy. wink.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by tonytigerbkk

Wait for the whingeing to start from the SE corner. A bit of wind and a couple of hundred mills of rain and its the end of the earth. It'll be on the TV news 24/7 as some sort of apocalypse and the tv reporters will blow it out of all proportion to try and find some damage somewhere to try and make some mileage.

Looks like Yepoon has some minor damage and the power is out .

We cop a (real) hammering in the North from Cyclones and get a mention in the news followed by massive increases in insurance premiums.

Wait for the whingeing to start from the SE corner. A bit of wind and a couple of hundred mills of rain and its the end of the earth. It'll be on the TV news 24/7 as some sort of apocalypse and the tv reporters will blow it out of all proportion to try and find some damage somewhere to try and make some mileage.

Looks like Yepoon has some minor damage and the power is out .

We cop a (real) hammering in the North from Cyclones and get a mention in the news followed by massive increases in insurance premiums.

Yes. True.... Well it's not really minor damage. Many houses in Yepoon & Rocky with no roofs and walls, damaged hospitals, thousands with no power....but it's hardly cyclone Tracey .

It's just been downgraded to Cat 1 as I type and is stirring Biloela up atm.

By 1am it will be a tropical low and should start moving a bit quicker too.

Edited by neverdie

Queensland is no paradise thats for sure way to many floods these days and maybe time to rethink the states future.

Without out a doubt, the stupidest post I've read in a very long time.

What would you have the authorities do? Evacuate everyone in the state and put up NO ENTRY signs?

laugh.pngcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

Beach front houses...

Thanks for posting Dave.

How did your place go?

The GC could do with a good wash......nothing short of a Cat 5 cyclone would clean the crapp up down there. ?

And what is "crapp"?? sad.png

EDIT: Spelling mistake

Edited by lvr181