Moving to Thailand from USA

The countdown has started, a little over 1 month before moving to Thailand, I would like to cross all T's and dot all I"s so there is as few surprises as possible. The whole family will be moving, I ,the thai wife and son, I am 48 and retired with a pension to cover the 400k thai baht requirement. Can I get the statement from here showing that I have the funds to meet this requirement, or would I have to do that in Thailand? I have several questions so here goes. When I go to the Thai consulate here in Chicago I will be applying for a multi entry non immigrant O visa (is there anything else I would need to get while I am there) .

My wife's mother has a small business and I would need a work permit, (she already has 4 thai employees) what would I need for the work permit? Will the business have to be registered in a certain way (partnership, company limited?) What requirements would I have to meet?. Are there documents that I would have to get translated in thai that I could do here or would it have to be done in Thailand? We will be shipping all household items in a 20ft container in my wife's name is there anything I should be on the lookout for as far as clearing and transporting to Tak. Thanks in advance for all info.

Getting the multi entry Non-O in the US is a wise decision. You will have to leave the country every 90 days, but being in Tak it's about 1.5 hours to the border at Mai Sot. It will give you time to get settled. Any entry can be extended for 1 year because you are married to a Thai. You will need either 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months or an "income affidavit" from the Embassy in Bangkok stating your monthly income, 40k/month is required. It is a sworn notarized statement and no proof is required. Your should get a letter from your pension provider and keep it as extra proof for immigration if they ask. I get one every year.

The best Bank is Bangkok Bank as they have an office in NY and you can do inexpensive ACH transfers.

Getting a reputable broker to import your goods as I said earlier will keep you from pay "tea money". PM me is you want my broker's name.

• Like 1

Ok now that I tossed out the rubbish I will give you a reply.

Unless you will need extra time to apply for a one year extension of stay you only need a single entry non-o visa. A multiple entry non-o visa only gives you a 90 day entry and requires you leave to get a new entry every 90 days.

To apply for the one year extension of stay you will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income proven by an income affidavit you can do at the US embassy in Bangkok.

You can apply for the extension during the last 30 days on the 90 day entry you will get from the non-o visa. If you need more time you can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife at immigration.

In order to get a work permit the business must be registered as a sole proprietorship or as a partnership or a Ltd company with 1 million baht registered capital.

• Like 1

I am sure all the do gooders will jump down my reply or it may even get deleted but here goes with my 2 cents worth on the work permit issue. It is possible to get using Management as a skill. have done it with guest house. However by the letter of the law you are allowed to direct people not actually do the physical part of the job. As an example I had kitchen people and maintenance workers. It was okay for me to indicate how I wanted the trees in the garden to be trimmed the height, watering etc.or set up the menu in the kitchen and helped train the chefs on the western food items ..however I was not entitled to rake the leaves, trim the trees, water the bushes, take out meals to guests, do the shopping etc...in emergencies I was allowed to do some physical work in showing how things were done.

I also worked the first three years without a work permit (with local immigration knowing fully I was doing this work) and never had a problem. Kept my nose clean, always kept the employees happy (helped that most were family or relations), provided the locals with some free food and the occasional free room.

So I would take the time upon arrival to determine what it is you want to do, make sure the surrounding employees are comfortable that they will not be out of a job with you working, limit just how involved you will be in some of the hands on tasks and not make waves. It may be the family business but you will be watched very carefully if you are at all visible to the public (even the family employees will be on edge and hate to say this can not be 100% trusted they wont turn on you). My immediate family are fantastic and protect me from outsiders but a few family members get jealous and can, if allowed, to create some hassles.

Good luck, and enjoy

• Like 2

slightly off topic but,

have you linked bank accounts with Thai and US banks yet? and done a test transfer?

FYI some US banks with not let you add accounts or change phone numbers on line, only inside a branch in the USA. Make sure you understand what you can do once you are gone.

Are you maintaining a US cellphone for bank one time passwords for transfers?

Have you found a mail forwarding company yet?

Get PIN numbers for cash advance on all credit cards for emergency.

Make sure you have your email account setup so you can access them it if you get challenged by the provider to do so. You will because they see a Thailand location as a threat. gmail and outlook shut me down day one.

as i am sure you know, don't forget about IRS reporting requirements.

try to hit the ground running because the limited time you have to get your immigration status setup can go by very quickly. Sometimes some things take two or three trips to get things done properly. or you may be totally good from day one.

good luck.

• Like 2

Hi,

Strongly suggest that you keep US bank accounts and credit cards. It can be difficult for a farang to get a credit card in Thailand, and they may be needed for medical emergencies, travel, car rentals, airline tickets, etc., Agree with the recommendation to keep a U.S. phone number. I use an AT&T mobile which is only activated when we are in the USA. But without it, many companies won't honor your credit cards. If you have a permanent address in the USA and mail forwarding, that's good. If not, check into, Escapees.com. I use Texas as my domicile (no state taxes) and Escapees provides that and forwards my mail. They have been very reliable for the past 12 years. Best of luck to you.

I suggest you go to the Chicago consulate website and read their requirements, before going. They have limited hours that they take applications and for you to pick up. Also check for holiday closings. I do know from experience, that they do require proof that you meet the financial requirement, for any visa you apply for. I went to get a 60 day tourist visa, they required proof that I had the money, to go to Thailand plus the flight information including return flight. Having neither with me, I had to have my bank email a copy of my statement. Then downloaded my flight information from Expedia to an email. Their website also says 2 day service. Their definition of 2 days is, if you apply on Monday pick up on Wednesday. Always 2 days after you apply. So if you go Thursday or Friday you pick up next week. For a non O marriage they require all the previous plus certificate of marriage to Thai, doctors heath check and police background. No exceptions! Also, if you need a last minute money order, there is a check cashing place, about 2 blocks north on the corner, very low fee. Parking is a hassle. They have about 2 free spaces in front, for consulate business, but the mailman always had his truck park in them.

I suggest you go to the Chicago consulate website and read their requirements, before going. They have limited hours that they take applications and for you to pick up. Also check for holiday closings. I do know from experience, that they do require proof that you meet the financial requirement, for any visa you apply for. I went to get a 60 day tourist visa, they required proof that I had the money, to go to Thailand plus the flight information including return flight. Having neither with me, I had to have my bank email a copy of my statement. Then downloaded my flight information from Expedia to an email. Their website also says 2 day service. Their definition of 2 days is, if you apply on Monday pick up on Wednesday. Always 2 days after you apply. So if you go Thursday or Friday you pick up next week. For a non O marriage they require all the previous plus certificate of marriage to Thai, doctors heath check and police background. No exceptions! Also, if you need a last minute money order, there is a check cashing place, about 2 blocks north on the corner, very low fee. Parking is a hassle. They have about 2 free spaces in front, for consulate business, but the mailman always had his truck park in them.

A medical and background check is not required for a non-o visa anywhere. You are confusing it with a OA visa.

From consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-non-immigrant-visa-eng.html

"VI. Visiting family

• To visit as a spouse of a Thai national
    • a valid and effective marriage certificate (original)
    • a certified copy of the Thai national's passport/ I.D. card of the spouse.
    • a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant."

If your wife has been out of the country a year and never used her free personal goods import status. If coming to laem chabang she should be able to clear it herself. I know of a few who have done it but it takes the better part of the day..

A medical and background check is not required for a non-o visa anywhere. You are confusing it with a OA visa.

From consulate website. http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/pages-non-immigrant-visa-eng.html

"VI. Visiting family

• a certified letter from the Thai spouse stating that he or she is still married to the applicant."

I think your information is golden most of the time, but not always. Have you ever been to Chicago. I have been in the consulate in Los Angeles too. I went to Chicago with the intent to get non O visa. Had the information required on website. They requested the other forms also. This is why I knew about the check cashing store. Had to cash my $200 money order and get a $40 money order for a tourist visa. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you quoted to "Notice", read number 1.

A good idea if you have not shipped already is to ship stuff in your wifes name as a thai national can import stuff from abroad for free,this is what i did from uk and it cost nothing,that included a pc, printer, and other peripherals, also the last stage of delivery ie to door will be done by a thai delivery and your wife will be able to handle this better than you,i would think, i don't know if this info is relevant to you, but worth looking into!

Max

"VI. Visiting family

I think your information is golden most of the time, but not always. Have you ever been to Chicago. I have been in the consulate in Los Angeles too. I went to Chicago with the intent to get non O visa. Had the information required on website. They requested the other forms also. This is why I knew about the check cashing store. Had to cash my $200 money order and get a $40 money order for a tourist visa. Scroll down to the bottom of the page you quoted to "Notice", read number 1.

I think you got misinformed or they were confused as to what you were applying for.,Even under that #1 they would not ask for all that for a non-o based upon marriage.There have been reports others getting them without it.

"VI. Visiting family

I think you got misinformed or they were confused as to what you were applying for.,Even under that #1 they would not ask for all that for a non-o based upon marriage.There have been reports others getting them without it.

How do you know, what they would ask for or not? Do you have first hand knowledge? Do they consult with you about what they can require? They can ask for any additional documentation they want and they did. Notice # 1 is on more than just this page on the website. Even with my passport, they wanted a second id. All this took place in July last year. It was the first time I used Chicago. In Feb. last year got a 60 day tourist visa in LA. They did not require anything other than the form filled out, photos, passport and money order. So why in Chicago did they also required financial info and proof of flight details for 60 day tourist visa? Because they can. I do not know about any other persons reports concerning Chicago. I only know what occurred with me, as stated in my original post. I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you. I concede, you may be better at it. Maybe.

I was able to get both a Visa and Master Card with Bangkok Bank using my 800,000 baht cash as collateral. No problem.

Strange as I thought it was deposit account only for seeding the money!

i originally had one savings account.

i now have three accounts.

two of them are fixed deposit accounts tied to the credit cards. i can't touch the money for 11 months. no problem for me. 2.9% interest.

does not affect my "retirement" visa requirements.

I was able to get both a Visa and Master Card with Bangkok Bank using my 800,000 baht cash as collateral. No problem.

Strange as I thought it was deposit account only for seeding the money!

i originally had one savings account.

i now have three accounts.

two of them are fixed deposit accounts tied to the credit cards. i can't touch the money for 11 months. no problem for me. 2.9% interest.

does not affect my "retirement" visa requirements.

If you cannot make a withdrawal from the accounts immigration will not accept them for an extension of stay (not a visa) application. You must be able to withdraw money with no delay and no penalty other than loss of interest.

Hi,

Strongly suggest that you keep US bank accounts and credit cards. It can be difficult for a farang to get a credit card in Thailand, and they may be needed for medical emergencies, travel, car rentals, airline tickets, etc., Agree with the recommendation to keep a U.S. phone number. I use an AT&T mobile which is only activated when we are in the USA. But without it, many companies won't honor your credit cards. If you have a permanent address in the USA and mail forwarding, that's good. If not, check into, Escapees.com. I use Texas as my domicile (no state taxes) and Escapees provides that and forwards my mail. They have been very reliable for the past 12 years. Best of luck to you.

Absolutely. I've been teaching worldwide since 1986 and have always used only US-based credit cards (and with no foreign transaction fees). I maintain a US address associated with my credit cards, and a different one in Texas as my home of record, which is legitimate because I was hired for my current job out of Texas. I use a UPS store for mail and package forwarding via DHL. Escapees sounds interesting but so far I have no reason to switch from UPS. I don't maintain a permanent US phone of my own, but the address and phone number associated with my credit card belongs to a trusted friend. Then whenever I visit the US on vacation I just purchase a prepaid SIM card for $50 unlimited, good for a month, I think, Plus a $10 activation fee.

To keep an US phone number, just get a Skype call-in number. Then forward to whatever local number you are reachable at the moment.

Some people that likes fixed phones uses services like magic jack, Vonage, etc. Others use SIP services, etc.

Getting the multi entry Non-O in the US is a wise decision. You will have to leave the country every 90 days, but being in Tak it's about 1.5 hours to the border at Mai Sot. It will give you time to get settled. Any entry can be extended for 1 year because you are married to a Thai. You will need either 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months or an "income affidavit" from the Embassy in Bangkok stating your monthly income, 40k/month is required. It is a sworn notarized statement and no proof is required. Your should get a letter from your pension provider and keep it as extra proof for immigration if they ask. I get one every year.

The best Bank is Bangkok Bank as they have an office in NY and you can do inexpensive ACH transfers.

Getting a reputable broker to import your goods as I said earlier will keep you from pay "tea money". PM me is you want my broker's name.

I have read some of your posts and will definitely contact you for that info.and also pick your brain on your experience importing heavy machinery