just happened: bad motorcycle accident on thappraya at police checkpoint

manarak

Motorbike riders of all nationalities seem to completely lose any trace of common sense the moment they get on a bike here.

Have they no idea that they risk their lives (or permanent disability, or excruciatingly painful skin loss) every time they ride one?

I drive a pickup because it gives me a good chance of walking away from an accident without a scratch on me. You will never see me on a motorbike.

Cars are the biggest danger, not for the occupants but for people around it. I suppose you only care about yourself.

• Like 1

Motorbike riders of all nationalities seem to completely lose any trace of common sense the moment they get on a bike here.

Have they no idea that they risk their lives (or permanent disability, or excruciatingly painful skin loss) every time they ride one?

I drive a pickup because it gives me a good chance of walking away from an accident without a scratch on me. You will never see me on a motorbike.

Cars are the biggest danger, not for the occupants but for people around it. I suppose you only care about yourself.

Not a lot of car drivers zipping around in and out of the traffic ,undertaking on corners or not strapped in , and then overtaking you at a u turn and cutting infront because they are not turning but going back the way they came ,silly man

The truth is that most westerners living here just copy the thai style of driving , and they do not buy good enough helmets to protect themselves, this was probably a 300 baht BIG C helmet . If you live here as an expat , at least you should make sure to wear the best helmets money can buy , as you would do in your own country. A certified strong helmet is 5000 baht . Very cheap compared with your life. If I had to pay 50000 baht for a helmet to protect my head I would do it .

Not a lot of car drivers zipping around in and out of the traffic ,undertaking on corners or not strapped in , and then overtaking you at a u turn and cutting infront because they are not turning but going back the way they came ,silly man

Yes, a lot of car drives zipping around in and out of the traffic. A lot of cars stopping in the middle of intersections blocking traffic from all directions. A lot of cars driving against red lights because it has "only" been red for a few seconds. A lot of cars that sit in traffic jams shooting diesel exaust when it would have been as fast to walk to distance. A lot of car drivers that think they never have to yield to smaller vehicles.

The motorcyclists drive cray too but they are mostly a danger to themselfs. The crazy car drivers are mostly a danger to the people around them.

• Like 1

Yes, a lot of car drives zipping around in and out of the traffic. A lot of cars stopping in the middle of intersections blocking traffic from all directions. A lot of cars driving against red lights because it has "only" been red for a few seconds. A lot of cars that sit in traffic jams shooting diesel exaust when it would have been as fast to walk to distance. A lot of car drivers that think they never have to yield to smaller vehicles.

The motorcyclists drive cray too but they are mostly a danger to themselfs. The crazy car drivers are mostly a danger to the people around them.

PS. A lot of cars that should yield but rather drive out in the traffic really slow and forces oncoming traffic to yield instead. A lot of cars parking in the middle of the road blocking traffic and turn on the hazard lights like that somehow would make it alright.

• Like 1

How's the view on your high horse today?

Much safer than it would be from a motorbike seat, thanks.

It doesn't bother me that some people choose to take risks for no obvious reason, and they are welcome to do so, but it does surprise me. Hence my comment. I could have made a similar comment about people who go mountain climbing or use hard drugs or go binge-drinking or do other similarly risky things but that isn't the topic of this thread.

Does your cave have windows? facepalm.gif

Speed Kills. If you stay in one place and never move the chances of death by accident are limited.

For an accident to occur you need several factors in place all at one time.

One thing that can reduce an accident is "anticipation". i.e. Think ahead and use the phrase "what if?."

Avoiding any accident is closely linked to intelligence and experience.

Hence the reason we put the words idiot, stupid and the like into the description of how a person drives.

Try the following out on a friend or relative and judge the reaction yourself. Tell them you think their nose is a bit big or they have some other facial defect that makes them look a bit ugly.... The response will range from being not bothered it is the way they are or a bit upset by your observation.

But try saying the following whilst you are the passenger of a car they are driving. "Good grief you are a crap dangerous driver".

The reaction will be instant anger, coupled with frothing at the mouth and them telling you to get out and walk and never talk to you again.

We all think we are the greatest driver ever....until that tiny tiny moment in time when all the factors come together followed by the sound of the sickening crunch ...........

And the world is thinking about having driverless cars........cheesy.gif Good grief. !!!

Obviously dreamt up by people who have never sat on the back end of a Motorcycle taxi in Pattaya... Not for a gold watch would I do this again.

I hope the guy who had the accident is OK. btw.

• Like 2

Speed Kills. If you stay in one place and never move the chances of death by accident are limited.

One thing that can reduce an accident is "anticipation". i.e. Think ahead and use the phrase "what if?."

Hence the reason we put the words idiot, stupid and the like into the description of how a person drives.

Try the following out on a friend or relative and judge the reaction yourself. Tell them you think their nose is a bit big or they have some other facial defect that makes them look a bit ugly.... The response will range from being not bothered it is the way they are or a bit upset by your observation.

But try saying the following whilst you are the passenger of a car they are driving. "Good grief you are a crap dangerous driver".

The reaction will be instant anger, coupled with frothing at the mouth and them telling you to get out and walk and never talk to you again.

We all think we are the greatest driver ever....until that tiny tiny moment in time when all the factors come together followed by the sound of the sickening crunch ...........

And the world is thinking about having driverless cars........cheesy.gif Good grief. !!!

Obviously dreamt up by people who have never sat on the back end of a Motorcycle taxi in Pattaya... Not for a gold watch would I do this again.

I cant wait for driverless cars, its going to be fantastic. It will be safer, because computers will be faster and smarter than people and without emotion. And it will be convenient because the car will just arrive and you get in and it takes you where you want to go. I don't think we will even want to own our own cars, they will just be like a fleet of driverless taxis. We will just ask for one on our mobiles and it will arrive. No parking fuss, no maintenance, nothing. And fewer cars per person means less waste because cars sit doing nothing most of the time. Trials are underway in various countries, on real roads, in the UK, Sweden, the US and others. Thailand will be years behind of course, because of their usual corruption and ineptitude and plain stupidity. But in a decade or so there will be driverless cars for anyone who wants one, in the more advanced countries and eventually even in Pattaya. All thanks to Western innovation, by the way.

Edited by paddyjenkins

Having has an accident in January and falling heavily enough on my shoulder to have a broken collar bone, I can testify to the need for a helmet and one strapped up too.

As my helmeted head hit the tarmac hard, my immediate thought was, 'I hope this helmet works'. It did. No damage at all to my head.

Wear your helmet, folks. And strap it up !!

Broken bones and road rash heal. A broken skull can do a lot more damage.

As to the rider. I hope he is not dead or severely injured.

• Like 1

I never ride at night, certainly not at midnight. You can bet 50%+ of other road users are pissed.

LOL! What would you do if you're unavoidably out after midnight? Do you leave your bike somewhere and take a baht bus home? For example, what is the probability of an accident between 23:00 - 00:00 compared to 00:00 - 1:00.

I always ride at night and usually after midnight as it's my favourite time to go out shopping and I'm a night owl. Although there may be more drunk riders/drivers around at that time, due to lower traffic volume your chance of an accident is probably lower.

I think external factors (time of day etc) are overrated compared to riding and observational skills/alertness. Defensive riding skills (always anticipating the worst, riding at safe speeds, staying alert) will keep you alive and healthy for longer.

I cant wait for driverless cars, its going to be fantastic. It will be safer, because computers will be faster and smarter than people and without emotion. And it will be convenient because the car will just arrive and you get in and it takes you where you want to go. I don't think we will even want to own our own cars, they will just be like a fleet of driverless taxis. We will just ask for one on our mobiles and it will arrive. No parking fuss, no maintenance, nothing. And fewer cars per person means less waste because cars sit doing nothing most of the time. Trials are underway in various countries, on real roads, in the UK, Sweden, the US and others. Thailand will be years behind of course, because of their usual corruption and ineptitude and plain stupidity. But in a decade or so there will be driverless cars for anyone who wants one, in the more advanced countries and eventually even in Pattaya. All thanks to Western innovation, by the way.

Wishful thinking. I'll never put my faith in a "driverless car" computer. My prediction is it will never happen anywhere in the world.

Wishful thinking. I'll never put my faith in a "driverless car" computer. My prediction is it will never happen anywhere in the world.

It's already happening. Driverless cars are parking themselves and even driving across the USA.

Crashes will be 99% eliminated.

Drunks and morons won't be out there killing 3,500 people a day.

Edited by joesanunu

It's already happening. Driverless cars are parking themselves and even driving across the USA.

It's only happening when all drivers are replaced, and that's never going to happen. Cars with drivers won't trust driverless cars. They would create mayhem on the roads.

... and that's without considering the cost of the technology, which most people won't be able to afford, even when it becomes "affordable".

... and then there's another factor that proponents of this technology seem to overlook. People enjoy driving. Super safety conscious drivers are in the minority out there on the roads.

Edited by tropo

Imagine this, a world of fully automated cars delivering their passengers in complete safety, then some guy invents a car with manual controls.

People would never accept that.

Face it. People driving cars at 60 MPH going in opposite directions, only separated by a painted yellow line is crazy.

Edited by joesanunu

Never go more than 60 in built up traffic and always keep distance with one hand over a brake lever.

I just make sure the speed difference between me and the other traffic is not to high. In general (if its safe) i try to be faster as the other traffic as you prevent a lot of problems from behind. (unless traffic is moving real real fast)

I never ride at night, certainly not at midnight. You can bet 50%+ of other road users are pissed.

LOL! What would you do if you're unavoidably out after midnight? Do you leave your bike somewhere and take a baht bus home? For example, what is the probability of an accident between 23:00 - 00:00 compared to 00:00 - 1:00.

I always ride at night and usually after midnight as it's my favourite time to go out shopping and I'm a night owl. Although there may be more drunk riders/drivers around at that time, due to lower traffic volume your chance of an accident is probably lower.

I think external factors (time of day etc) are overrated compared to riding and observational skills/alertness. Defensive riding skills (always anticipating the worst, riding at safe speeds, staying alert) will keep you alive and healthy for longer.

Most of the accidents do happen at night, according to the statistics. Drunks and stray dogs are a big factor too.

It's only happening when all drivers are replaced, and that's never going to happen. Cars with drivers won't trust driverless cars. They would create mayhem on the roads.

... and that's without considering the cost of the technology, which most people won't be able to afford, even when it becomes "affordable".

... and then there's another factor that proponents of this technology seem to overlook. People enjoy driving. Super safety conscious drivers are in the minority out there on the roads.

Nope. Doesn't need any particular percentage of cars to be driverless, can start small and ramp up. Test cars are already out there driving by themselves and the pilot schemes are ramping up across the world. A number of years ago you may have seen cars that could park by themselves, a damn site better than most humans. Well, now they can navigate entirely from A to B in real traffic.

Pattaya has one of the worlds best, and cheapest, public transport systems, the baht bus. Easy to use after dark. A small inconvenience to stay alive.

Most of the accidents do happen at night, according to the statistics. Drunks and stray dogs are a big factor too.

Wrong, speed and Idiots, not drunks and dogs.

• Like 1

Wrong, speed and Idiots, not drunks and dogs.

The way your defending and shifting away from drunks and a user name like yours one might think your one of those people that thinks its ok to drink and drive.

• Like 1

One more time just for you.

Speed, Idiots bad Attitude = dead people not drunks and Dogs, a few for sure but not the most.

How many times you been in the car and someone does something stupid in front of you and wife/ Gf says he Big Mao.( drunk ) . its a load of bull, its selfish, bad attitude, idiotic drivers

Are all of pattayas drivers drunk all day and all night long .?

Don't think so,

Edited by Rimmer