Malaria Concerns in Myanmar and Thailand Rise

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-60810800-1424549803_thumb.

The rapid spread of a drug resistant strain of malaria is sweeping into Southeast Asia and major concerns of the strain spreading into India have experts worried.

Concerns over a strain of drug-resistant malaria has Myanmar and Thailand officials concerned. The strain is resistant to normal drugs used to combat malaria. While it has yet to reach India, the strain of malaria has spread throughout Southeast Asia and is sparking concerns in Southeast Asia.

Spreading through Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia already, there have been no reports of the strain reaching India. The biggest concern is on the Myanmar border of India. Spreading into the country could be catastrophic due to India’s massive population. Experts suggest that if the strain reaches India, it will post a severe threat to global control of the disease.

In the 1960s, a strain of malaria that is similar to the current strain took the same path and went from Myanmar to India. The result of the spread left millions of people dead. Experts fear that history is repeating itself.

Studies conducted in 2013 and 2014 in Myanmar and Thailand collected 940 samples of malaria and tested them for resistance. Nearly 40% had the mutation that is known to cause resistance to artemisinin. The parasite was also found just 25 kilometers from the Indian border in the Sagaing region.

Experts see the spread of the new strain as alarming, raising further concerns. An international effort needs to be taken, suggests the Antimalarial Resistance Network. The network also suggests that Southeast Asian countries need to start by protecting the country’s border regions to halt further spread of the parasite.

Spreading occurs through mosquitoes and is transmitted through bites. Immediate symptoms, such as fever and vomiting, are not experienced for 10 – 15 days after the bite occurs. The World Health Organization has recommended the stoppage of the common artemisinin treatments and instead recommends therapies be used to combat the spread of further resistant strains mutating.

tvn.png
-- 2015-02-22

maybe the radiation in the air is weakening immune systems and allowing these diseases to thrive , dont expect any health warnings from governments as radiation is a word they will never speak of.

yes its all due to global warmingthumbsup.gif <glad i got that in before anyone.biggrin.png >cheesy.gif

I dont agree, this is obviously Putin's doing

• Like 1

Below is two links, not as scary as the above article but worth a read. Appears that the research is being conducted here in Thailand and both articles show a map of the areas of most concern. However there is a difference between the maps.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/02/20/387533918/the-world-could-be-on-the-verge-of-losing-a-powerful-malaria-drug

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-31533559

Edited by bassman

Perhaps the rumours of a weaponised malaria are true. After all, the Thai Junta isn't playing the globalist game quite as the US necon-government expects it to. If HAARP-triggered tsunamis and earthquakes are possible - and that's a fact - and scientists believe that West Africa was gifted a weaponised Ebola, then I don't think the eugenicist depopulation-obsessed neocon globalists would hesitate in visiting a laboratory bug on the East. I forget now where exactly, but not long ago a S.American village was gifted a weaponised tsetse fly or similar. Just saying...

Perhaps the rumours of a weaponised malaria are true. After all, the Thai Junta isn't playing the globalist game quite as the US necon-government expects it to. If HAARP-triggered tsunamis and earthquakes are possible - and that's a fact - and scientists believe that West Africa was gifted a weaponised Ebola, then I don't think the eugenicist depopulation-obsessed neocon globalists would hesitate in visiting a laboratory bug on the East. I forget now where exactly, but not long ago a S.American village was gifted a weaponised tsetse fly or similar. Just saying...

yeah, and the Americans didn't land on the moon.

yeah, and the Americans didn't land on the moon.

You have to say "and that's a fact" after any crazy statement. That automatically makes it true and irrefutable.