I accessed my SS (usa) account without a VPN.....

bangmai

"email urging me to look at my account" from whom did this email come from and did you follow some sort of link in it?

Sounds a bit odd to me - that is - I am not trusting enough to do that based on a email unless I started the contact with a known source and know whom is sending the information or request.

PS other then a few blue pill offers and a requested date with some chick that says she can make me a bigger stud - I have yet to receive an email urging me to do anything, but it might be in my trash folder where most the spam goes to.

I get an annual statement in the mail end of year and a required form each year for proof of life - I would think they would put the information update in that, outside of the office in Manilla that started the account I don't think anyone at SSA have any of my email addresses anyway. wai.gif

• Like 1

Hilarious, Winnie - SS would be Social Security for those retired folks from the USofA.

And Bangmai, yes, you might want to double check that you didn't just get tricked into handing over your profile info to a phishing scam. Could have been legit, or not. Also, I'd look into what kind of antivirus n antispyware you use, and do a full sweep of things. You might have had a legit experience or been completely taken. Be safe.

• Like 2

So probably if it's from a .gov you're good. But if it's like socialsecurity_gov.com or some other tricky manipulation of the real keywords to look like a legit .gov site, you might have cause for concern.

And if it is all good, then it's good news to know about ease of communication from Thld to check on US SS status and benefits. So thanks for that post.

"email urging me to look at my account" from whom did this email come from and did you follow some sort of link in it?

Sounds a bit odd to me - that is - I am not trusting enough to do that based on a email unless I started the contact with a known source and know whom is sending the information or request.

PS other then a few blue pill offers and a requested date with some chick that says she can make me a bigger stud - I have yet to receive an email urging me to do anything, but it might be in my trash folder where most the spam goes to.

I get an annual statement in the mail end of year and a required form each year for proof of life - I would think they would put the information update in that, outside of the office in Manilla that started the account I don't think anyone at SSA have any of my email addresses anyway. wai.gif

part of a trend started about 70 years ago to computerize. It actually saves money.

Social Security recently notified everyone who has set up an on line account with them of their recent improvements.

We can now obtain the SSA-1099, for filing taxes, on line. Of course most companies have been doing this for a number of years so it was nice that Social Security has finally come around.

Hopefully the next step will allow Social Security recipients to opt out of the paper version if they desire - that would save a boatload of money in printing, handling and mailing fees.

• Like 1

I have an email account that is only used for one bank and social security. I got the same notice. I never get spam with this email account. I haven't checked out the links, but I'd say it's legit.

Nice you could get to it without a VPN. I find that it's possible to do this, but only during certain times. Normally very late at night!!! LOL

I've used the Social Securities

Office Of International Operations

for things like requesting a statement of monthly SS payments to show part of my retirement extension income claim.

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Not sure what else I need to know about my account. They pay me each month and send me the SSA-1099 for income tax filing and once a year I have to return a form they mail out checking to see if I'm still alive and living at the same address in Thailand.

• Like 1

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

ssa-logo_original.png

You are receiving this email from the Social Security Administration because you have registered for a my Social Security account, and you may be able to use a new online service that helps people who receive Social Security benefits and Medicare have the information they need to file their tax returns. If you didn’t receive or misplaced your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, you can now use your online my Social Security account to get an instant replacement for tax purposes.

You just need to go to www.socialsecurity.gov/signin and log in to your account. Once you log in, select the "Replacement Documents" tab. If you don’t remember your user name and password, we can help you. Just visit the link, select Sign In, and then select whether you forgot your user name, password, or both. After you answer questions to verify your identity, you will be all set.

Even if you don’t currently receive monthly benefits, or you receive benefits and don’t need a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we hope you will take advantage of the many services available with your my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

USSSA_logo.gif Questions for SSA?
Contact Us

Join the millions and discover your benefits!
Open a my Social Security account.

STAY CONNECTED: youtube_icon.gif twittericon_sm.gif facebook_logo.gif pinterestgovdel.png govbubble.png

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help

This email was sent to [email protected] by Social Security Administration logo_gd_poweredby.gif

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

ssa-logo_original.png

You are receiving this email from the Social Security Administration because you have registered for a my Social Security account, and you may be able to use a new online service that helps people who receive Social Security benefits and Medicare have the information they need to file their tax returns. If you didn’t receive or misplaced your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, you can now use your online my Social Security account to get an instant replacement for tax purposes.

You just need to go to www.socialsecurity.gov/signin and log in to your account. Once you log in, select the "Replacement Documents" tab. If you don’t remember your user name and password, we can help you. Just visit the link, select Sign In, and then select whether you forgot your user name, password, or both. After you answer questions to verify your identity, you will be all set.

Even if you don’t currently receive monthly benefits, or you receive benefits and don’t need a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we hope you will take advantage of the many services available with your my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

USSSA_logo.gif Questions for SSA?

Contact Us

Join the millions and discover your benefits!

Open a my Social Security account.

STAY CONNECTED: youtube_icon.gif twittericon_sm.gif facebook_logo.gif pinterestgovdel.png govbubble.png

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:

Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help

This email was sent to [email protected] by Social Security Administration logo_gd_poweredby.gif

Exactly what I got. Note, though, that the link does NOT go directly to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount. It goes to links.govdelivery.com, which is legitimate and transfers you to the correct site, but I did not check it out until after I read this thread! Not phishing in this case, but it could have been.

Edited by mesquite

I have never had to use a VPN to access the US Social Security site. The only thing I have had to do is make sure that I only try and log in during Social Security Business hours

post-10942-0-61850500-1424834416_thumb.p

And I received a similar e-mail from SS:

Annual Reminder to Review Your Social Security Statement

Dear

We’d like to remind you to review your Social Security Statement online. The Statement has important Social Security information and, if applicable, estimates of your future benefits.

If you are working, we encourage you to check your Statement yearly to make sure your earnings record is correct. The Statement also will help in planning your financial future.

To view your most recent Statement, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/signin and sign into your account.

Please do not reply to this E-mail, as we are unable to respond to messages sent to this address.

Edited by Langsuan Man